Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Ideas for activities, games, projects for our FIRST QUILT RETREAT >

Need Ideas for activities, games, projects for our FIRST QUILT RETREAT

Need Ideas for activities, games, projects for our FIRST QUILT RETREAT

Old 05-03-2009, 11:19 AM

Hi...how many are going to the retreat?

For our retreats we are told to bring a fat quarter, a star block (or whatever block the coordinator decides on, including colors or fabrics, like batiks, jewel tones, brights etc) and some fabric squares...again size determined ahead of time..

Depending on how many are at the retreat, a certain number of the fat quarters are used a prizes for games and the remainder are used in a drawing and the winner gets all the fat quarters.

The blocks are also used as a prize...but depending on the number of people in the retreat, they are divided up into 12 or 20 or whatever and again used in a drawing. The same with the fabric squares.

All names are in one 'hat' and once drawn they are discarded so that no one person wins more than one 'prize'

I know you can do a search online for quilt games, quilting games, quilt retreat games or whatever and find lots of sites with lots of ideas.

warm quilt hugs, sue
Old 05-03-2009, 11:23 AM

Gee, there are so many possibilites!

I just thought of the Quilts of Valor or any of the other charities that would benefit from your retreat also. Each person could bring patriotic fabrics for making some squares to donate or make them before coming to the retreat. Take the idea and go from there....

But most of all just have fun fun fun.

wqh, sue
Old 05-03-2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by wraez
Hi...how many are going to the retreat?

For our retreats we are told to bring a fat quarter, a star block (or whatever block the coordinator decides on, including colors or fabrics, like batiks, jewel tones, brights etc) and some fabric squares...again size determined ahead of time..

Depending on how many are at the retreat, a certain number of the fat quarters are used a prizes for games and the remainder are used in a drawing and the winner gets all the fat quarters.

The blocks are also used as a prize...but depending on the number of people in the retreat, they are divided up into 12 or 20 or whatever and again used in a drawing. The same with the fabric squares.

All names are in one 'hat' and once drawn they are discarded so that no one person wins more than one 'prize'

I know you can do a search online for quilt games, quilting games, quilt retreat games or whatever and find lots of sites with lots of ideas.

warm quilt hugs, sue
Thank you, SUE (Wraez) I have noted your suggestions and we'll see what we come up with. Right now we think 6 ladies FOR SURE are going but we could have as many as 12 or 14. It'll be fun and I can't wait.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:48 PM

We just had our second retreat the end of April. Booked again for October "09" and April "10". The first retreat we didn't plan a lot of
activities. We pay and extra $15.00 and the hotess use that for a really
nice gift for each person. 1st time we got the neatest rollup accessory
bags and this time everyone received two each of the 13" square artbin
boxes with handles. (on sale at Joanns).

lst time I gave each person a 1/2 yard of zebra print fabric. Everyone
was to make 3 blocks using on black and white fabric they had and the
zebra print. The second retreat we pull a name out of the hat and that
person won all the blocks.

2nd retreat host gave everyone a piece of red and white fabric and we
were to use white fabric from home and make 24 5" half square triangle
block. Again drew name and they won all the squares.

We played strip poker used 2 1/2 strip as amte. Played till someone won them all.

Everyone one brought a quilt related item and these placed in basket.
The basket was huge everyone brought great items. Books, patterns,
quilt hoop, pins, jewerly, etc.... one name drawn wins all.

Then we all brought FQ's and we dived them up in sets of ten and drew names during the retreat.

We had lots of fun.

Next time we are planning to make the huge mat and ruler tote bag.
Everyone will get a supply list in advance. Will make them at retreat.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:27 PM

I forgot earlier, we each also make a block or two that will be used for a charity quilt. The retreat I go to is organized by LQS, so they determine the block and provide the fabric. What it usually is, is leftovers from their block of the month club. They then take the completed blocks, assemble and quilt them, and donate them.

One year we did fabrics that were pinks and coordinates; that one was put together for a raffle to raise money for breast cancer. This year was a patriotic theme; I don't remember what charity will benefit this year. As there are about 60 of us at the retreat, they have enough blocks for a few quilts.

The other thing that they do each year is have a massage therapist come in. For those who want one, she does either a 10 minute chair massage, or a full 30-minute massage. I don't have them on a regular basis (too costly), but I do at the retreat as it is my one complete splurge for the year.

Robin
Old 05-03-2009, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by TEXASQUILTS
We just had our second retreat the end of April. Booked again for October "09" and April "10". The first retreat we didn't plan a lot of
activities. We pay and extra $15.00 and the hotess use that for a really
nice gift for each person. 1st time we got the neatest rollup accessory
bags and this time everyone received two each of the 13" square artbin
boxes with handles. (on sale at Joanns).

lst time I gave each person a 1/2 yard of zebra print fabric. Everyone
was to make 3 blocks using on black and white fabric they had and the
zebra print. The second retreat we pull a name out of the hat and that
person won all the blocks.

2nd retreat host gave everyone a piece of red and white fabric and we
were to use white fabric from home and make 24 5" half square triangle
block. Again drew name and they won all the squares.

We played strip poker used 2 1/2 strip as amte. Played till someone won them all.

Everyone one brought a quilt related item and these placed in basket.
The basket was huge everyone brought great items. Books, patterns,
quilt hoop, pins, jewerly, etc.... one name drawn wins all.

Then we all brought FQ's and we dived them up in sets of ten and drew names during the retreat.

We had lots of fun.

Next time we are planning to make the huge mat and ruler tote bag.
Everyone will get a supply list in advance. Will make them at retreat.
Thank you for so many great ideas. I'll be taking all the suggestions to our quilt meeting next week and get a consences on what everyone would like to do. THis is going to be so fun. Thanks again for all your ideas.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:51 PM

Hi Robin/PeaceAndJoy: Again, I need to thank all you creative, experienced quilters for all the ideas and suggestions for fun things to do at retreat. We'll have a small group of 6 to 12 people so it'll be a nice bunch to start with and we can always add more folks in following years. I really like what you guys have done for charity quilts. This is probably similar to what our group will want to do. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll present all the suggestions to our group next week at our monthly meeting and see what everyone would be interested in doing.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:20 AM

Bump...just want to keep this request alive for a little while longer incase there are some new ideas I'd love to hear about. Thank you all.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:44 AM

Feathers, I just seen this in my newsletter from Stitchin Heaven, and thought it might be fun for your quilt retreat! :D

Finally, It's here ... Quilt-opoly!
Quilt-opoly is an exciting new property trading game that lets quilters share their passion for quilting with friends and family. Players pick their favorite quilting game pieces and start moving around the "blocks" collecting Quilting Techniques and Block Designs to create their very own quilting empire! They just have to be careful that they don't pick the "You sewed the seams uneven and now the points don't match" game card or they will have to go to "Rip Out Seam" without passing "Start Quilting" and collecting $200. Quilt-opoly™ is the perfect gift to give to your friends and family who have a passion for quilting. Share your love of quilting by hosting a Quilt-opoly party. You'll even create beautiful quilts using charming quilt block designs on Quilt-opoly property cards as inspirations. Order your game today, and get in on the fun!

www.stitchinheaven.com [email protected]
1-800-841-3901 Toll Free

Old 05-14-2009, 06:58 AM

That looks like it would be a fun addition, it's $34.95 on that site but $29.95 on this site OOPS..... it's a wholesale site, that's why the cheaper price http://www.checkerdist.com/ax_commer...60584&search=1

I have never ordered from either site but might check into how much it would cost to get it shipped to Canada.