Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need ideas for group quilt

Need ideas for group quilt

Our guild wants to have a quilt raffle at our next show in 2 years. I was wondering if any of you had ideas to help us decide on what type of quilt to make so every member (ranging from beginner to expert) can help in the making. Please share with me past experience, good or bad, and what to do and not to do! Thank you for your help.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Well depending on the subject, each one could do a block in regards to the subject say anything between A-Z. Could be the history of your town or all of Quebec.

Assign a block and a color. For example, everyone makes a purple and white log cabin block. Quilters use their stashes and scraps. Be somewhat specific with the lighter colors. If you do purple and white, specify white-on-white, tonal whites, etc.... Otherwise, you'll end up with all kinds of prints and colors in the white!
    ~Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Cathou View Post
    Our guild wants to have a quilt raffle at our next show in 2 years. I was wondering if any of you had ideas to help us decide on what type of quilt to make so every member (ranging from beginner to expert) can help in the making. Please share with me past experience, good or bad, and what to do and not to do! Thank you for your help.

Pick a style of block---------something like a 4 patch star of any design. Find 3 prints plus one neutreal that you like and ask each person to make a star from that collection of fabric. One person needs to buy all the fabric at one time.

Or maybe ask for different state name quilts, again using the same collection of fabrics. Road to California, Road to Oklahoma, etc. Have a check off list so that one block is not used twice.

Then there's also the wedding/bride quilts--------where each block is about a household item, for instance "broken dishes" Using the same collection again
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Another idea from your avatar------------blocks designed from only squares (there are bunches and bunches)

Or all made of HSTs.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

One year, I was the coordinator to make the raffle quilt. We chose a special event for the area: Blossom Trail is celebrating the fruit trees in the area. There's special activities through the season. So we took photos of the trees, blossoms, etc. and printed them on fabric.

Made a pp block of square in a square (photo fabric was the center square) that had a secondary design of directional arrows to follow the route.

We had a work day and I set it up like an assembly line. There was one person with a big heart who doesn't realize her skills are marginal. I set her up cutting and checked on her often. Since it was paper pieced, she didn't have to be very accurate.

Set up couples with one experienced and one beginner together. When all the blocks were complete, I assemble it. Someone was a professional LAQ. I did the binding.

That quilt and the extra efforts in marketing, earned the most $ ever for a raffle quilt at that guild. Due to the subject matter, it was a great hit during that season of the year and got special media publicity.

our group just raffeled this one at their show in may.its so pretty they were showing it around in the winter months its looks easy with big pieces was done machine applique kim Schafer designer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    if you want some consistency, have the guild buy enough of your choice of background fabric and each member buy their small piece of it from the guild.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

grma33, I just finished my quilt top from Kim's book. Such fun. Cathou, our senior group has made several raffle quilts. One was the Wagon Wheel with so very many HSTs that we all contributed toward. We each took bags of HSTs home and built a wagon wheel. Then we had it long arm quilted. I think I posted a picture of it on here in the past. The next one we did was a lap size hand appliqued, Rose of Sharon. Also pictures on here. This year we are doing Dresden plate and for this one we each cut blades from our scraps (with a template) and then laid out the blades for each plate. Each of us took blades home to build plate(s). Now we are in the process of hand quilting this one. We each take it for a week at a time and work on it at home. We so enjoy our raffle quilts and now it's about time to think about our next one. The money goes to our senior center and we always make lots of $$ on them. We usually start a year in advance.
    Sandy

Our guild is a modern one so I'm not sure if this will help or not... We are doing a quilt for the library to sell(they won't raffle them here for legal reasons) and we're doing improvisational word quilts this one will be based on words about reading like best seller, relax, etc
    We just finished three for donation that are a simple star block. To tie them all together, the star was required to be white or white on white - no creams, etc and the rest of the pieces of the blocks needed to be one color per block - so someone could do a white and blue block or a white and green block, etc. It worked out nicely - although our biggest problem is that some people do not believe in a 1/4" seam and we have a lot of blocks that aren't the right size... they're too small... They will be set aside for their own quilt I suppose or something... I'm not sure yet what the organizer of that one is going to do yet...

Take PETTHEFABRIC's advice. Choose a simple design, buy all the fabric (unless your doing a scrapy), some cut, some sew, some lay the finished blocks, some put them together, and then quilt. It seems the like the simple designs and the basic colors do the best in raffle quilts. Like Yarn or Fabric said about the 1/4" seam is sooooooo true, its not that they don't believe in the 1/4" seam, they just can't seem to stay in the line. LOL
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

It's great to wake up and find great advices. Thank you so much everybody. Some quilts described sound so good looking. Would love to see pictures!

When I did a group quilt before, we all had to make a 12" square in matching colors. You could choose the pattern for your square, which gave flexibility for the different levels of ability. When all put together is made a beautiful sampler quilt.

I have seen applique style like baltimore where everyone makes a blocks. I have seen paper pieced where everyone makes a block, or maybe a sampler that way everyone can contribute a small amount without being overwhelmed
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I notice that you say you intend to raffle the quilt at your quilt show. Do you mean that you would only sell tickets at the show? Most of the time, guilds sell tickets throughout the year to bring in more money, and then the winning ticket is drawn at the quilt show. If you only sell tickets at the show, I would recommend spending less money and time on making the quilt, since you will need to at least cover expenses. I've only participated once in making a raffle quilt, and that when I was a very new quilter. One thing I learned is to have extra blocks made, since some of the blocks you receive may not be of the size or quality needed for the quilt top. (They might go on the back, or be used in some other creative way.)

The group I belong to does a raffle quilt each year. We have discovered over the years that scrap quilts seem to sell more tickets. Also the guild buys the background and each member donates some fabrics. We usually try to have one person do the cutting and piecing to keep things the same size. One persons 10 inch block is not the same as the next persons 10 inch block. It is so much easier that way, than trying to resize a bunch of them. Good luck with your project.

Sometimes, if some quilt blocks are smaller than others, they can be bordered with a solid to make them all the
    same size. (even if borders on some blocks are not the same width as others)

We have just done one and faced the same challenge. We have ladies that do exquisite hand work, some that can piece complicated bocks in their sleep (smiling here - but you know what I mean) and the rest are beginner to intermediate quilters.

We did a churn dash two years ago in blues and greens. It was beautiful but several of the blocks were off size and could not be made to fit. This year I was involved and we chose "Four Patch & Friends" from Debbie Caffrey's "Can of Worms". We provided the squares and every one dug into their stash for the rest. Easy Peassy pattern - lots of fun and the best part is out of 86 squares I got back, there were only two that were unusable. Here is a picture of it. Each block is two four patches and two snowballs.

Name:  GuildFinalQuilt.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  466.3 KB
    Last edited by eparys; 06-02-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

To eparys: WOW, Magnifique! Thanks you for your insight.
    Last edited by Cathou; 06-02-2013 at 03:11 PM.

I was the coordinator of the raffle quilt at a young progressive guild (Orange Blossom Quilters Guilt). I announced that the quilt would be from my best abilities and that's landscape art. I asked for volunteers to be the committee to produce the quilt. I drew a rough design (in my artistic way) to size. The committee caught the vision, two got together to make pieced and painted oranges and blossoms to measure 36" sq. The background was a sceen of the citrus orchards to the east and the foothills and distant mountains. Each person was allowed to have ownership in the project. It was a success and raised a lot of money from the public (non-quilting) domain.