Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need ideas for house-warming quilt >

need ideas for house-warming quilt

need ideas for house-warming quilt

Old 12-02-2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I would recommend a medium blue so you have enough contrast between the white and the blue. You could certainly use white thread; however, you will need a walking foot in order to keep the lines straight. Also, what size are you making? It could be difficult to get a large quilt under the arm of the machine. If you keep it to a lap size, you should be fine.

For thread color, I recommend getting a blue and white print fabric for the backing. That way you could use blue thread for the straight lines and white thread for the designs inside the white squares. It will make any mistakes in the quilting much less noticeable on top, and both thread colors will blend with the backing.

I would bind with the blue used in the quilt top.

Blue and white Irish chain quilts are so classic. Now you have me thinking about making one for myself!
Thanks for your post. It is what I needed to know. Very helpful.
Have a great day.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:25 PM

Unless your determined to make a quilt why not make her placemats or a table runner. Home quilted placemats make a wonderful gift.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tapper View Post
Thank you all so much for the suggestions/ideas/tips.
I have decided to do an Irish Chain in light or medium blue with white.
For the actual quilting, most Google images show a design in the white square and diagonal straight-line quilting through the chain blocks. I'm fine with doing that but what color thread should I use? I'd like to use white thread but would that look odd going through the blue squares?
I'm such a newbie!!
I love the IC pattern. White thread would be perfect and not interfere in the blue. The other way (blue thread in white) would be distracting if the background is the white. Keep us posted as you progress!
peace
Old 12-02-2013, 04:33 PM

I am sure you have be there but MSQC (Missouri Star Quilt Company) has many youtube videos and instructions and there are many that would lend themselves to being done quickly.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:54 AM

I saw a beautiful quilt you can make in one day at our last guild meeting. It was just strips sewn together with blended colors. Then big flowers appliqued on with stems connecting; 3-4 flowers. Hers was bound, but guess the pillowcase edge finish could be used to save time. It was really pretty! I hope to use some scraps of Spring Colors and make one! Mariah
Old 12-05-2013, 06:03 AM

Thanks again for the help. I looked at the cost of making the simple IC quilt. The front/backing/batting/thread etc. will cost big $$$. Fabric is so expensive here but I am determined to make this quilt. I have decided to wait until January to start it. I won't be so stretched for money then. The quilt will be given a bit late but better late than never!

You are all so generous with your advice and encouragement. This board is truly a blessing to so many of us quilters and sewers.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:23 PM

What about a simple rag quilt ? What colors are you looking for ?
Old 12-06-2013, 03:28 PM

Instead of making her a quilt for the bed, consider a lap quilt to snuggle up with on the couch. Something with a fleece or flannel backing and tied. Can't tell you on patterns only because I don't know your friend. For instance, for my Mom , it would very traditional with focus on quilting, for my aunt it would be more 'elegant', for my cousin, it would be something modern.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:54 PM

WARM WISHES went together fairly easy for me. just google it and a link for a free pattern will come up.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:58 PM

There are a lot of "Big Block" kits out there that are basically sewing 10" squares from layer cakes together-- fast, easy and beautiful!

HTH,
Marcia