Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need ideas on how to quilt this one >

Need ideas on how to quilt this one

Need ideas on how to quilt this one

Old 11-03-2011, 05:28 AM

I'm such a traditionalist when quilting, so I would probably do stitch in the ditch for a nice puffy effect.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:38 AM

A friend had a quilt made like thisi and she stitched on the diagonal seams both ways. It depends on how close you want to quilt it. She put rickrack on the diagonal about every 12 inches. But I don't think you would want that on a man's quilt. You could couch yarn about hat spacing for some texture. Maybe find some varigated in the colors of the quilt. No ideas for the borders, except a diagonal pattern that would break to go on to the next space????
Old 11-03-2011, 06:55 AM

It's very pretty, but I don't know how you should quilt it.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
Here's an idea.....
I like this also, very nice quilt.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I can't wait to get the plastic and markers out to try some of the designs. I can't remember where I came across the idea of using a clear shower curtain liner and vis-a-vis markers and lay it on top of the quilt to trial designs, but it's one of the best tips I've come across! I don't know why it is that when I was hand quilting, I never seemed to be stumped on how to quilt a top. Now that I'm machine quilting, I look at my tops and go "ok, now what do I do?". I think it has something to do with the starts and stops when machine quilting, and feeling like I need to do a continuous line of quilting as much as possible. I think it's a mental block more than anything else.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:57 PM

Default How about 'streamers'?

Suzanne Earley in one of her meandering majic books has a design called Streamers. Looks like feathers, but squared off on the ends. Sorry about the nasty sketch. I don't practice enough to get better at it. I'm also going to try to add a picture of my son's quilt that I quilted it on. Oh, and I use waxed paper to audition designs. Gotta love the price!
Attached Thumbnails untitled.png  
Old 11-03-2011, 01:04 PM

2nd try on the Streamers picture!
Attached Thumbnails streamers.jpg  
Old 11-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

It really depends on your skill level. A simple quilting would be to "cross hatch" I would stitch straight diagonally 1/4 of an inch inside from the seam. I would do it diagonally, vertically and horizontal with a multi color thread that matches the fabrics you have used. GREAT JOB !!!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
Suzanne Earley in one of her meandering majic books has a design called Streamers. Looks like feathers, but squared off on the ends. Sorry about the nasty sketch. I don't practice enough to get better at it. I'm also going to try to add a picture of my son's quilt that I quilted it on. Oh, and I use waxed paper to audition designs. Gotta love the price!
I love the design! I kept trying feathers, and it looked too feminine. This however gives the impression of the feather, but it's not all "girly". I love curves on a really geometrical design.

I bought a clear shower curtain liner at the Dollar Store for auditioning designs. $4 and it was considered heavy duty. I don't know if I'd considered it heavy duty if it were hanging in my shower, but for marking on, it's perfect. I didn't want one huge piece, so cut it up. Now I have 4 nice 2.5' squares to work with. I can't wait to get one out and lay it on the quilt and start trying your design.