Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need ideas for a special baby quilt... >

Need ideas for a special baby quilt...

Need ideas for a special baby quilt...

Old 10-08-2010, 04:43 AM

We have some close friends that have been trying a VERY long time to have a baby with no luck... we just found out that she's about 8 weeks along!!! I am sooooooo excited for her and want to make her a special baby quilt, but am not sure what to do. I don't have a huge amount of experience so it can't be anything really complicated, but I want it to show that it's something special for a special baby, know what I mean? I was thinking maybe a 3D pinwheel?? Add some satin binding, or maybe some prarie points for a little texture. They don't know yet what they are having, and won't for almost 3 months.... I don't know if I can wait that long! Ha ha! "Gender neutral" never really seems gender neutral, it always feels more appropriate for a boy so if it's a girl I definitely want to focus on girl colors/patterns. Any thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated!
Old 10-08-2010, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by moonangel12
We have some close friends that have been trying a VERY long time to have a baby with no luck... we just found out that she's about 8 weeks along!!! I am sooooooo excited for her and want to make her a special baby quilt, but am not sure what to do. I don't have a huge amount of experience so it can't be anything really complicated, but I want it to show that it's something special for a special baby, know what I mean? I was thinking maybe a 3D pinwheel?? Add some satin binding, or maybe some prarie points for a little texture. They don't know yet what they are having, and won't for almost 3 months.... I don't know if I can wait that long! Ha ha! "Gender neutral" never really seems gender neutral, it always feels more appropriate for a boy so if it's a girl I definitely want to focus on girl colors/patterns. Any thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated!
How exciting! Nowadays people are going less to the pink and blue, so if you choose teal, aqua type colors and peachy tans, it can go either way. I like to make flannel for the babies. If you go with flannel, make 3/8" seams and prewash the fabric. As far as design, start looking at fabric and let it choose the design for you. Also brights work well for babies, primary colors will go for either gender. Circus themes, jungle, etc.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:06 AM
Banned

my only though from your initial post is don't try a satin binding. They are hard to apply and won't hold up in wear and washing.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by moonangel12
How exciting! Nowadays people are going less to the pink and blue, so if you choose teal, aqua type colors and peachy tans, it can go either way. I like to make flannel for the babies. If you go with flannel, make 3/8" seams and prewash the fabric. As far as design, start looking at fabric and let it choose the design for you. Also brights work well for babies, primary colors will go for either gender. Circus themes, jungle, etc.
I hadn't thought about teal... hmmm... I know I saw a color scheme on here that I would never have thought to put together, but it would be perfect! I wish I could remember what posting it was! I think it had reds, teals, browns in a pinwheel pattern (all different sizes) - that would be a perfect quilt for what I have in mind! Now how do I find it? :lol:
Old 10-08-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
my only though from your initial post is don't try a satin binding. They are hard to apply and won't hold up in wear and washing.
I was kind of wondering that... good to know! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-08-2010, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
I agree with you on the satin binding. I did it once on a blanket and said never again, although, considering the times it has been washed it still looks good.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Banned

Bright green, purple and orange would look terrific with pinwheels and go happily with either a boy or a girl.

Or if you're not quite into that wild of a look, green and purple. Perfect for either gender.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Google Goddess

have fun creating the baby quilt
Old 10-08-2010, 08:32 AM

Also, my experience with 3 D pinwheels on a baby quilt is that they get torn!! :(

Maybe I just have rambunctious nieces and nephews!!!LOL
Old 10-08-2010, 08:40 AM

In the new issue of Fons and Porter's Love of quilting magazine i just got there is a bright Dr.Seus Quilt.

I'll go take a picture and see if it looks like something they might like! Be right back!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-111669.jpe