Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NEED INFORMATION >

NEED INFORMATION

NEED INFORMATION

Old 12-19-2010, 09:35 PM

There are barn quilts in Tillamook--a really wonderful trail there!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:55 PM

Will have to check it out when I get to Tillamook the next time.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:59 PM

Welcome from MO, I love to see the Barn quilt blocks as I travel, there is something warm and comforting about them. I think they add such beauty and charm to the country side!!
Old 12-20-2010, 02:17 AM

here ya go Oregon...

http://www.latimerquiltandtextile.co...L_BROCHURE.pdf
http://www.latimerquiltandtextile.co..._TRAIL_MAP.pdf

http://tillamookheadlightherald.com/...8b2d5dd61.html
Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Oh, Barnquilter, thank you so much. I will for sure be in the Tillamook area in July to judge for the fair, so will try to get down early in the day to check them out. Don't have to start judging until noon. I have saved your info to my computer. Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by asterisks
Just recently joined this site from Iowa...mainly because I would like to have information on how to construct a quilt block to display on a barn or shed. I'm looking for step by step instructions. Anyone out there that can help me? I would appreciate any & all information.
I asked for a gift card to Home Depot to buy the stuff for a BARN QUILT. I may make mine 4x4, at least for the first try. Hubby will get to figure out how to hang it.

I'm just going to lay my wood out (gonna try to buy the best whatever for exposed uses).

I'll mark the patten out, then paint it the colors I like. Barn is sorta beige, so i'll use a color to match barn as my "white". The other color will be red since Red is in our street name.

I'm thinking I'll cut out a few sponge stamps and add a pattern of sorts to the red and the beige color.

Not sure what pattern I'll use for my first try. I like Whirlpool real well or one of the variations, Windblown Square or Balkan PUzzle.

After I get the 4'x4' done, I'll decide if I want to do an 8'x8' for the west end of the barn that is most easily seen when driving past.

Sorry, can't give yoiu exact details. I'm going to play it by ear.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tricky
We have beeen travelling extensively in the US and Canada and many++++++barns have quilt blocks on them and the majority that I have seen have been painted right on the barn. I did see one that appeared to be on wood and then mounted on the barn.
I'll have to paint mine on some sort of wood. Whatever type holds up best to the elements.

Climbing up to paint on the barn is out of the question.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
We have beeen travelling extensively in the US and Canada and many++++++barns have quilt blocks on them and the majority that I have seen have been painted right on the barn. I did see one that appeared to be on wood and then mounted on the barn.
If you mount it on wood, you could do several and change them with the seasons, etc.! Good luck with your project.
LOL, did you check with your local "MOUNTER" if changing them out is do-abe?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:53 PM

Sorry, but you are mistaken. I've spent a couple of years documenting barn quilts--starting with the very first one and moving throughout the country. I haven't seen every one of the over 3000 quilts but have seen about 100 and been in contact with most of the 90 or so groups who create them.

It has been my responsibility to gather accurate information, as my book on the subject will be published by a university press.

There are a few places who paint them directly on barns--the original trail, in Adams County, OH (where the first ones were painted directly on barns), Monroe County and Miami County, Ohio, who hired professional muralists to paint theirs. A few of the first ones in Iowa (Grundy County) were also painted on the barn surface.

The remainder are painted--mostly on wood, a few on metal--and then hung. Perhaps you haven't gotten close enough to many of them to be able to tell. There are also a few places that use a photographic method to replicate quilts on canvas or other polymer materials.

I am not claiming that no individual barn owner hasn't individually painted a quilt directly on the barn, but to say that many or the majority have been created in this fashion is just not the case.

The danger and liability involved in painting directly on barns are both prohibitive. The reason so many school, 4-H and civic groups--even senior citizens--have been able to participate is that it is a safe and approachable project.

For more info, check my blog americanquilttrail.blogspot.com
(barnquilter provided this link earlier)

I'm so thrilled to see that quilters are becoming more and more interested in barn quilts!!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:13 AM

That should read, "I have seen 1000." A hundred wouldn't be much to talk of, would it? LOL