Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need to know what is the best self healing mat? >

Need to know what is the best self healing mat?

Need to know what is the best self healing mat?

Old 04-24-2017, 05:49 PM

I use an Olfa mat and blades also. I love them. A lot of people recommend the Martelli mats. I have never used them so I can't comment on them .I know they do run a sale on them a couple of times a year. I have Fiskar mat with an ironing surface on the back. It is ok to use at retreat but I do find it dulls my blades. I only use it for trimming things at retreat, otherwise a use my Olfa mat.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by mindless View Post
Believe it or not, sometimes an eraser is the best tool for cleaning leftover fibers from the mat. I have a big, old pink school eraser, and a smaller rubber one that I keep handy just for getting those stuck fibers out. Also, a pick up square works great. And it doesn't leave that pink residue. It is an artist's tool, similar to an eraser used for rubbing off masks and rubber cement glues from watercolor paper, etc.
Thanks a million, mindless. I got out my "old pink school eraser" and went to work. It took about 5 minutes, and the mat now looks 90% better. There is still a shadow of the white there, and it will probably stay there. It's really time to turn it around anyway. I use it most on the quarter of it that is nearest my machine. The far corner is covered with "projects". LOL
I have two artist friends, and will ask them about a pick up square. I've never heard of it.
Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

I have only had fisker mats. Some blades just cut longer than others. My mats are just fine.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:44 AM

I have always been satisfied with Olfa. I do wash them about once a year but I've had my 24x36 since 2010 and it cuts just fine. My smaller 12x12 rotating mat gets a ton of use so I doubt it will last as long.