Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a little talking to... >

Need a little talking to...

Need a little talking to...

Old 07-14-2011, 06:13 AM

Everyone here hs given you such great advise. It's o.k. not to be in there sewing. We all need a break to get the juices back. Family issues will always be with us. Let it go. Make a pillow case to use on your pillow and let go of what is bothering you! Let it all out!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:36 AM

Eat some chocolate, go to sewing room and start playing with fabric, the feel of it might get you inspired as to what you want to make. Quilting is very calming for me, maybe it would help forget your issues for a while. Hugs and lots of em.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:45 AM

I've been trying to do the same thing after my mom passed away a couple of months ago. She would always sit and crochet while I quilted and it was a great time together. I've had a tough time getting back to quilting, but I try and do it for just a little bit each day. Family stuff is always difficult to deal with, just be patient with yourself and try to take baby steps each day.

Hugs,
Carol
Old 07-14-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by jean1941
Life is short and we need to live everyday to the fullest and I know how you feel been through a lot of awful "family Stuff" the last few years and just have to talk to myself all the time. I am not making any sense I know, so just Do It Girl
Anyone who has been in your shoes knows EXACTLY what you are saying - and understands!!! So, don't feel like you are not making sense of the situation - just delve in- go on and life will begin happening again - put the "stuff" behind you when you walk into your sewing room - let it consume you! I do - it works!!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:47 AM

My sewing room has gotten me thru some tough times. Just go for it! Wishing you the best
Old 07-14-2011, 06:49 AM

i'm having a terrible time myself right now.. my room is such a mess it's scary... we are pretty "social" here in my comm... and that can be a real problem for me... i like to spend "the whole day" when working on things,, i'm not one to "multi task" anymore... beenthere, donethat... i'm retired, so i just need to get going... for me it's go in and shut the door... pick up one thing and start... perhaps a good tv cooking show , or music..it will work for me.. (if only i could dig down to that point)..LOL... but stay positive.. it will happen.. i'm rooting for you girl!!!!!!!! :)
OH.. and i forgot to mention... i love it here, but the COMPUTER is part of my problem.. so many people, patterns, freebies to see... i need to be TWO people!!!!!!
my legs are starting to swell!!!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:56 AM

I am still struggling with health issues, and my sewing buddies have been such support. So, have one of your buddies over and share a brain..............calla
Old 07-14-2011, 06:59 AM

After my mom died unexpectedly in the middle of March, then sending my daughter to Afghanistan for her deployment the end of March, while I went across the country to house/pet sit for her while she was gone, I found myself quite unable to do much of anything except pace around her apartment. I had no support group of friends here and just felt myself spiraling down. I found that if I forced myself to do 15 minutes of something quilty a couple of times a day, within a week I was back to cranking out the quilts. Sad, but at first I actually had to set the timer to make myself actually stick with it the whole 15 minutes :(

Quilting can save our sanity by giving us a way to create something of beauty for someone - I'm always thinking of the person I'm making a quilt for - pulling me out of myself and getting my focus readjusted. May God bless you and I'll be praying for you!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by kuseta
Tell yourself you're going to work on something for 30 minutes. Then just start something. After 30 minutes, if you're still not into it, try again tomorrow. But I bet once the 30 minutes are up, you'll keep going! This is how my housecleaning gets done sometimes! :-)
This is a great strategy! You don't want to force yourself to do something that should be fun. By setting a short time limit, you allow yourself to see how it feels and then stop if it isn't working for you.

I'm sorry about your family problems. That can definitely stifle one's creativity for a while.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:02 AM

family drama or not, you can only live 1 life at as time and your life is that life. No matter what else is going on, sit in your sewing rm, its your island of peace, and tell yourself, this is where my life is - whatever goes on outside of it is for other people to live.
I must say, no matter what went on w/ my husband and myself neither of our moms took sides, or even had anything to say about what was going on w/ us. They had their own issues in their lives. It kept holidays sane, it was like their homes were neutral to our drama, which wasnt allowed there.
What you do making quilts for hospitals is a good, happy, productive thing, do not let anyone get you down to the point you give up something so good in your life. Follow the true heart in you, look at your fabrics, touch them, sort thru them, design something - you will come away refreshed for it.