Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need major help with making button holes >

need major help with making button holes

need major help with making button holes

Old 12-08-2010, 06:44 AM

put a stabilizer under the back---will make all the difference---learned this while making clothes
Old 12-08-2010, 07:41 AM

If all else fails, do it the old fashioned way---------- Handstitch, using a small buttonhole stitch, around the entire thing. I made buttonholes this way for 40 years, then got my Janome that does them for me. Yeah
Old 12-08-2010, 08:25 AM

Do it by hand, it won't take long. Probably not as long as the time you have spent trying to do it by machine. Before I got my buttonhole maker in the little pink case in 1960 (that I sold for $5 in 2007), I use to make them by hand. Some materials are harder to work on than others and that may be your problem.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wendys Quilts
I am getting so frustrated!!! I made a satchel for my nephew and he wants a button and button hole (to use while he is in college). I have made a button hole before on a different bag, but I cant get it to work this time!!! I dont know why??? I have pulled out the machine manual have done all it says, but it still messes up. AND I AM MESSING UP HIS SATCHEL, in trying to figure this out!!! grrrrr.

has anyone made a button hole WITHOUT the button hole foot? If so, I would love for some instruction how to do it.

Thanks in advance.
I've always used a buttonhole foot so I can't help you.

If you are pressed for time, and fearful of ruining your project you might want to contact your local dry cleaner. Many of them do tailoring and repairs, so they might be able to sew a buttonhole for you for a nominal price.
;-)
Old 12-08-2010, 01:50 PM

I do almost exactly the same thing, but I start and end the buttonhole with small bar tacks that span the overall width of it.

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
The manuals for my vintage machines all show how to make 4-step buttonholes using the zig-zag stitch. Is there anything like that in your manual?

You mark your buttonhole with a straight line that's a hair longer than the measurement of the width of the button and sew a narrow, almost satin-stitch zig-zag along the right side of the line, then turn the fabric and sew down the other side. Make sure that you don't cover the line - you will need to get in between those rows with a cutter to open the buttonhole.

Widen the zig-zag width and shorten the stitch and sew bars across the top and bottom of these two rows. Put some Fray Check on the buttonhole and let it dry, then use a sharp scissors or seam ripper to slice a slot between the rows of narrow zig-zag.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wendys Quilts
I am getting so frustrated!!! I made a satchel for my nephew and he wants a button and button hole (to use while he is in college). I have made a button hole before on a different bag, but I cant get it to work this time!!! I dont know why??? I have pulled out the machine manual have done all it says, but it still messes up. AND I AM MESSING UP HIS SATCHEL, in trying to figure this out!!! grrrrr.

has anyone made a button hole WITHOUT the button hole foot? If so, I would love for some instruction how to do it.

Thanks in advance.
Try a bound buttonhole, IT WILL COVER UP ALL THE MESSES. Also it will look really neat! It can be done with an zipper foot, or a regular presser foot.

:-D
Old 12-08-2010, 03:27 PM

I used to make my button holes without an attachment. I use th zig zag stitch. First I measure my button, draw a line with
water erase marker, put a line on the ends, bar tack one end
use the small
Old 12-08-2010, 03:31 PM

sorry it jumped on me and sent before I finished. use the small tight zigzag stitch,go to the other end, bartack, turn and zigzag to the other end using you line as a guide
Hope this helps. It always worked for me. Good Luck
Old 12-08-2010, 03:46 PM

got your answer. My mother back in the day sewed wedding dresses. She sewed that tiny buttons and the buttons holes. she would make a line with colored chaulk and do tiny blanket stitches with regulat thread and after she was all done then she would snipe the hole. Thats How I remember her making them. Jean
Old 12-08-2010, 04:35 PM

I hate button holes. I did learn an easy way to put in zippers, but those darn button holes can make me swear. Zippers are good, especially when covered with a flap. When you have a lot of front, you don't want buttons with holes that stretch anyway.
I try to avoid them at all costs, even to making tops that pull over my head.