Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions on buying sewing machone >

Need opinions on buying sewing machone

Need opinions on buying sewing machone

Old 10-16-2011, 04:01 PM

I have that machine and I like it for everything but the actual quilting on a large project. The area is just too small to squeeze anything larger than a baby quilt, or maybe a twin size in the small opening. :( Otherwise, I am very happy with my machine.:-) I have done everything from appliques, woolen mittens, clothesline rope bowls, postcards etc. on it, and I love that it's very portable and easy to take to classes and meetings. It has the needle down feature which is a must, and comes with your walking foot, darning foot etc. :-)
Old 10-16-2011, 04:07 PM

I have one and I love it. I use it for everything.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:14 PM

I have that model of Brother and love it. Have had it for 3 years and had no problems at all. Do piece work for a local store and spend two full days per week at my machine. Easy enough for my 9 yr. old DD to use as well. Even tho it is cheap it comes with many of the features that the other models have.

My DM recently bought a Singer. She used it for a short time and has it repaired 3 times already. She put it away because it is not worth the hassle.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by IraJane
Originally Posted by sushi
What kind of sewing do you think your granddaughter will do?

If she's a beginner, she might be fine with the most simple/cheapest machine you can buy.

If you expect her to expand her skills, then a machine with more flexibility makes sense.

If you know she's "hooked," you may want to invest in a fine machine she can take with her into adulthood.

FWIW, I have had bad experiences with plastic/made-in-a-developing-country sewing machines. (Sorry, but this includes the Brother CS-6000i.) They just don't hold up well under serious use. But if your granddaughter's use will be light and you don't care if the machine accompanies her into adulthood, the Brother may be a fine choice. (Unless I'm thinking of a different model, Consumers' Report gave it very good review several years ago.)

On the other hand, if you want do want to buy a machine she can take with her, I encourage you to buy a non-plastic/non-3rd-world-made machine, even though they're way more expensive. One way to minimize their cost is to buy an older one on at an estate sale, on Craig's List, or on eBay. I'm convinced that an old Bernina is a better long term investment than a plastic machine

Just my humble opinion, of course.
I agree.
Me too. I have one of those "inexpensive" Brothers, and in the 10 months I've had it, it has cost me more in repairs than I spent on the buying price. And it won't quilt. Brother says it will "replace it", but I want my money back so I can put to towards an older, quality machine somewhere else. Keep your receipts! It's the only thing that saved me! I'm still fighting, but I think I'm winning.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:21 PM

I have a Brother thought not that model and had one before. My embroidery machine is also a Brother. They are so user friendly. I hope your granddaughter enjoys her new machine.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Maire
I have that model & love it, use it for travel & classes. I also have 3 Brother's from dealer, including a TOL. I love them all & think the Walmart Brother compares very well.
I have it too, for the same purpose, and it's a great little machine.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:31 PM

I have that machine as my secondary just love it and great to sew on
Old 10-16-2011, 04:41 PM

I should get the new brother on wen. I'll let you know how I like it.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by kathy6696
I am looking to purchase a extra sewing machine so my granddaughter can have something to sew on when she is here, that way I still get to sews too! I am looking at the brother 60 stitch computerized sewing machine CS-6000i, cost $169.00 comes with quite a lot. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Spelled machine wrong in the title....lol. Can't edit that, sorry.
The machine you are looking at is a good buy. Not all will agree with me, and I am fine with that, but I LOVE my Brother machines. One has 35 stitches, and the other has 479 stitches which includes 3 alphabets.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:45 PM

I have the CS-6000i and love it. The only problem I have with it is that there is not a very large area to the right of the needle for free motion quilting.