Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions on buying sewing machone >

Need opinions on buying sewing machone

Need opinions on buying sewing machone

Old 10-16-2011, 06:13 AM

I have that model & love it, use it for travel & classes. I also have 3 Brother's from dealer, including a TOL. I love them all & think the Walmart Brother compares very well.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:30 AM

Visit your local dealers and ask for an entry level machine. The dealer should offer free lessons so you will learn, properly and they will be there if you need additional help. Nothing worse than a beginner being frustrated. It's too easy to give up when a machine is giving you trouble.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:40 AM

My dd and I both own and use older Berninas. She has a 930(1985) and I have a 1031, both are mechanical. My dd makes costumes and she says her machine will sew just about anything she can get under the presser foot.
I bought the 1031 new in 1992, it just had its annual tune up and sews as good as new.
I also use an old Pfaff 1222E(about 1976) sews beautifully.
My granddaughter(10yrs) uses an older Janome Jem gold 2 and she's happy with it. She learned to sew on a 1931 Singer 99K hand crank, she likes that one too.
I'm a quilter and make garments occasionally too.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:49 AM

Not familiar with Brother machines but they are made by the same company that makes Babylocks and I've heard good things about Brother machines.

I was trying to help a friend of mine who wanted to buy a machine for her daughter (very young - 8) so I suggested she contact a dealer and see if they had any refurbished machines she could pick up for around $100.

She decided not to listen to me and bought her something at WalMart for around $65-$70 and it was a piece of junk. Her daughter started having bobbin problems, threading problems, things like that so now she doesn't even want to sew because the machine is junk.

I think you will be fine with a basic Brother but thought I'd throw this incident out there to consider.

Good Luck !!
Old 10-16-2011, 06:56 AM

Have one and love it. Great machine for the price.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:07 AM

I've never sewn on a Brother. I absolutely love my Baby Lock Elizabeth! She's a dream! Good luck finding the perfect machine for her.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:07 AM

Check thrift shops, you never know what might turn up for small dollars.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:12 AM

I think that would be a good choice. Just enough extra stitches for her to play around with when she is ready, and the price is not too high for you to keep it as a back up if she loses interest. I am happy with my Brother SQ-9000.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by graciemae
I have that machine, brought it five years ago and LOVE it! I especially like the idea that you control how fast you want the speed to be, would be great for your GD to put the speed slow at first. I also love the idea that I don't have to use a foot pedal. She will love the different decorative stitches she can use. It kinda does the sewing for you, you just have to guide the fabric. I had my two nieces spend the weekend with me (age 9 and 13) and we make a small throw each. They had a great time and brag to everybody that they made it themselves. When a relative came from out of state to visit them she loved their quilts and wanted one. Sorry, I just realived I said loved a million times. Guess I love my little machine.

Thanks Gracie ..........I hope my GD loves, loves, loves this one. I should get it wed. She will be coming over on Fri. And she will be surprised!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:56 AM

It's Sunday morning and I'm surely in a 'DUH' moment but please explain something to me. You used the phrase 'your BIL girlfriend'. What's mixing up my mind is if BIL stands for 'brother-in-law', then doesn't that mean he's your sister's husband. I'm thinking he shouldn't be having a girl friend if he's married to your sister, no less. Maybe I should go back to bed and get up again!!!!