Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions please...Hubby said I can buy the new Singer 160 >

Need opinions please...Hubby said I can buy the new Singer 160

Need opinions please...Hubby said I can buy the new Singer 160

Old 02-20-2012, 06:07 AM

I would get neither one. It seems that he promised to buy you a new machine or an Ipad to justify his purchase of a new gun. You don't seem to have a burning desire for either choice so keep the money in the bank. Sorry, but I am very pragmatic.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:39 AM

the new machines have plastic parts that can break in time. I would go with the singer 301. It is great for quilting.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 AM

I love my Ipad, that would be my choice. A new singer for that price doesn't sound like much especalyif you have a machine that you use and love.I have a 10 year old Bernina my only working machine (an old singer treadle too that I haven't gotten out of mothballs). Anyway I vote Ipad. Have fun with what ever you chose.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:38 AM

My sewing machine repairman has been in business for many years, and he says to stay away from any newer Singers. He said they have been bought out,, and the newer ones are just junk. I fully agree with what ncredbird said about Singers. I do have an old Featherweight, but that is all in the Singer line. I also have a Pfaff 7570, a Brother CS6000i, and an old New Home, and love them all. I teach sewing and primarily have my students learn on the old New Home.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 AM

I got a kindle fire for christmas and i love it. it does everything an i pad does except print and is a lot cheaper. At least so far as I can Tell.

a
Old 02-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

I would buy a better machine. I don't know anything about Ipads and not the least bit interested. Just my opinion.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fmhall2 View Post
My sewing machine repairman has been in business for many years, and he says to stay away from any newer Singers. He said they have been bought out,, and the newer ones are just junk.
The Singer company has bought out most of the other machine companies now. I think there are only two main manufactures for all machines regardless of brand. The new sewing machine repairman is trained only for the brand the dealer sells. Many older repairmen haven't been to an updated repair class in years. The want to fix the machine but can't, nothing to be 'fixed' in the new machines, just learn how to take the part out and put back in or read what the computer chips tells them. Thus the machine is usually labeled not any good because it can't be 'fixed'. (Bernina is all on it's own so not part of the mass manufacturers)
Old 02-20-2012, 11:28 AM

I have trouble with the "I let him buy it.." "he said I could get one." is a little different, if you discuss whether you have the funds to buy something.

Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
Well he has been wanting a new gun for a while so I let him buy it today and since I have been pricing new machines and IPads, he said I could get one.

As much as I would love a new machine with some bells and whistles, I think I will get the IPad or some form of tablet. When I came upstairs, I saw her and just knew I couldn't replace her. She is solid and has sewn many things over the years and I am sure she will continue to with some good love and care.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:45 AM

I saw the Singer 160, if I could gotten the HSN deal with all the extras I would have for it. IPads are nice, but I love my iPod, it fits in my purse (or pocket ) and I have do many quilting apps and others that I use all the time.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:23 PM

I have an iPad, using it right now, and I love it. We also have a lap top that DH uses. I was raised on Singers and bought a Brother SE400 before Christmas. There is a significant difference between the machines.