Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: need pattern for gr.daughter quilt

Blog Entries

need pattern for gr.daughter quilt

Our youngest granddaughter is 7. I want to make a quilt for her, but need some ideas of a pattern. I would prefer it be an easy one.
    We don't see them very often but all of the other grands have a quilt which I have made.

Ideas, please!

Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

My favorite for a quick quilt is the Warm Wishes. There's a free pattern on line.
    It can be dressed up for an elegant look or made with kids fabrics for kids.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

Power Poster
    Perfect age for an I Spy or I Spy matching quilt.

Not sure what her taste is, but I just saw a beautiful modern quilt pattern with all straight piecing on the AQS site. It's called the Bella Stacks Quilt.

https://shop.americanquilter.com/Bel...ollection.html

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    just saw a Mo.Star tutorial called Pecking Order--used white charm squares and a multi colored pack of charms--but you cut those into 2.5"squares for the corners so might be a chance to use up scrapes too. And think that you could easily use other colors than white. looked like it went together pretty quick (of course all of hers do!).

I made this quilt for my oldest granddaughter. It is a Missouri Star quilt company pattern. I did a different center for each star.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

How about a basic quilt made with 8 inch squares and then you could Applique some of her favorite things on to each Square or in random spots on the Quilt - like different easy flowers, butterflies, little animals ( can use for patterns the pictures out of children's coloring books or even fabric in those patterns..) then put a multicolor pieced border around the edges.. Then the quilting could be simple outlines or an all over .... Just an idea.
    Friend who can share your laughter and tears are the only ones you need.

Blog Entries
    Lots of great ideas...soccertxi, I love your pretty pink quilt. I also like Jean's suggestion about appliqué but that might not fall under "an easy one" category. : P
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Warm Wishes or Rail Fence are easy and look great. My all-time favorite though is Friendship Star. It was very popular for awhile but not seeing it so much any more. Have seen it, too, worked in as sashing/cornerstones.

This one, as its name suggests, is easy.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutori...s-t273007.html

The Tiny Turning Twenty is a quick and easy pattern. I used fat quarters rather than fat eights and made a larger quilt for my granddaughter using Kate Spade fabric. I like the smaller scale and block size of the tiny turning twenty more than the original turning twenty. Another quick and easy pattern is Yellow Brick Road. Both of these patterns are available to purchase on the web.

For most people the DP9 is an easy to make quilt, beautiful design makes it look hard. Whatever you make her she will love it.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean in Ohio13452 View Post
    How about a basic quilt made with 8 inch squares and then you could Applique some of her favorite things on to each Square or in random spots on the Quilt - like different easy flowers, butterflies, little animals ( can use for patterns the pictures out of children's coloring books or even fabric in those patterns..) then put a multicolor pieced border around the edges.. Then the quilting could be simple outlines or an all over .... Just an idea.
    Actually, I do think Jean's idea can be pretty fast If you do raw edge applique and use Wonder Under or Heat and Bond Lite, it can be really quick to just draw shapes, bond, cut out, then zigzag/blanket stitch around the edges. If you're ok with the look, you can even just straight stitch close to the edge and let it fray a little bit.

I did my new baby's quilt very quickly with raw edge applique. I printed out some Xs and Os on printer paper until I got the size I wanted, and then cut them out and traced them onto Wonder Under. Fused, cut out, then appliqued them onto squares that were 6.5in for the Xs and 12.5in for the Os so that everything fit together easily for a scrappy and fun Hugs and Kisses quilt. I zigzagged around all the edges of the applique and that sucker has been through the washer plenty of times already and there has been minimal fraying. Barely any, and it's holding up really well.

Blog Entries
    I agree. The warm wishes pattern, made of some "fairy frost" fabrics would delight a seven year old girl's heart or you could ask mom what character she likes, and use a kid print of the character in the wider areas and accent colors in the bar sections.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I love "Boxed Squares". I have made it at least 12 times. It is so easy and you can make it as large or as small as you like. It can be very impressive when you use a lot of colors.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    My 8 yr old granddaughter loves cats. If your's does too, perhaps she would like a simple 9 patch in muted colors with a few appliqued cat silhouettes.

Fat Quarter Shop has a Jelly Roll Twist free pattern/tutorial that makes up quickly. You can make the square any size you'd like and adjust the strip length accordingly. I just finished one for a nephew's baby shower using Disney squares and primary colors and boyish fabric for the strips. I'd send a picture, but it's at the quilters.

I made this for my son. It was only my second completed quilt, no pattern, just used the 6" ruler and a 2 1/2 inch binding ruler. Made strips width of fabric, sewed alternating strips together. Cut that into 6" wide strips and added sashing. Fast and easy.

Name:  Ian's quilt smaller.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  74.1 KB
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!