Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need quilting advice..

Need quilting advice..

This is a small scale GFG I am making for my granddaughter. These are 1" Hexi's, just a little bigger than a quarter. The whole thing is crib size, about 38 x 52. I thought I would just put flannel on the back and maybe a layer of flannel in the middle. I'm conflicted on how to finish it off. I generally hand quilt, but the pieces are so small that I think that would be overkill on this one. I find machine quilting very tedious, but can do SID or straight line, though I fear both would detract from the look of the top. I want to keep it soft and snuggle.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous ! What about just Stitch in the Ditch around the outside of the flowers that would also help "pop" the flowers just a bit without being overwhelming
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

That sounds great!! THe SITD would make the flowers stand out..Great work!!

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
    Gorgeous ! What about just Stitch in the Ditch around the outside of the flowers that would also help "pop" the flowers just a bit without being overwhelming

Power Poster
    How about tying it? If you put the ties in the middle of each 'flower' - it could be a design feature. It is very pretty and soft looking.

I Like GFG, but this smaller hex is much prettier. Thank you for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by cowpie2 View Post
    This is a small scale GFG I am making for my granddaughter. These are 1" Hexi's, just a little bigger than a quarter. The whole thing is crib size, about 38 x 52. I thought I would just put flannel on the back and maybe a layer of flannel in the middle. I'm conflicted on how to finish it off. I generally hand quilt, but the pieces are so small that I think that would be overkill on this one. I find machine quilting very tedious, but can do SID or straight line, though I fear both would detract from the look of the top. I want to keep it soft and snuggle.

Any suggestions?
    Really cute buttons sewn in the center of the flowers might be a good option. Then maybe just a wavy line thru the path parts.

Power Poster
    Since your gorgeous quilt is heirloom quality, I would hand quilt 1/4 inch inside each hexagon. I know, not what you wanted to hear right? With 2 layers of flannel I don't think it would be too difficult to hand quilt? I've never hand quilted flannel so I'm not sure if it like resist needling on not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Since your gorgeous quilt is heirloom quality, I would hand quilt 1/4 inch inside each hexagon. I know, not what you wanted to hear right? With 2 layers of flannel I don't think it would be too difficult to hand quilt? I've never hand quilted flannel so I'm not sure if it like resist needling on not.
    Your probably right. Since the hexigons are so small and I am only using flannel I could probably get away with only hand quilting some of the hexis. Either quilt the path and the centers or just quilt the flowers.

Blog Entries
    First of all - you do beautiful work!

I would hand quilt it and keep it simple. Such as 1/4" inside the edge of each flower or pick a shape to quilt over the whole flower. The shape could be rotated so there is no definite top or bottom to the quilt. This one popped into my brain tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your little quilt is so precious. I just love it. Lucky little baby that gets it.

A friend of mine made a crib-sized GFG out of small hexs also & she quilted circles in the center of each of them. It was really pretty.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I would ditch quilt around each flower, and then maybe put a cute button or embroider a little flower in the center of each. It's so beautiful!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Beautiful quilt!
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

Power Poster
    Very nice quilt, love the colors.

Blog Entries
    It's a very pretty quilt and I love all the ideas given for quilting this. But if this is for a baby, I would not use buttons on it. They are a choking hazard.