Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need quilting advice >

Need quilting advice

Need quilting advice

Old 10-24-2015, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

I totally agree. Anxious to see finished.
Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
My choice would not be an all-over meander. This is such a neat piece, and would be made way more interesting by enhancing the printed/woven design. I think just about anything would look good on the outside borders - either something to match the inner design, or a meander that is different.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:35 AM

I agree with all of those who suggest that you let the fabric dictate how it wants to be quilted. If it is "out there" to do that, then I am not alone. I guess we quilters have querky ideas and are very special because we listen to the fabric. At least we are not answering voices in our head.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:49 AM

I see that most of you agree with me to follow the fabric's call. Where we disagree is the color of the thread. In my recent practicing with FMQ I found that it looked the nicest (even when there were mistakes) when there was contrast between the thread color and the fabric. Otherwise, the quilting simply doesn't do anything for the quilt. That's why I'm suggesting the dark brown. I'll have to think about this some more because I value all of your experience.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:42 PM

I would do as you said with the paisley in perhaps a thread two shades darker than the background. Then I would sew 1/4" inside the paisleys & do small pebbles within the 1/4". Then perhaps larger pebbles inside the rest. Perhaps a stippling between the paisleys and whatever you choose on the rest. Have I given you too much detail? Sorry!
Old 10-24-2015, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Carol, if you are confident in your FMQ skills then go with the colour thread that fulfills your vision. Whatever you decide you will be happy with because you are fulfilling your own idea.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:36 PM

Do your paisleys all over the place on it - that would look fabulous! That said, I hate meanders - they are boring!!! You could make the borders look like they are a companion fabric to the center if you put paisleys on them! Go with your idea - it will be great!!!
Old 10-25-2015, 04:18 AM

How about getting a large piece of vinyl and placing it on top of the tablecloth. With a brown erasable marker (since that is what color thread you want to use) practice your design on the vinyl and you can not only see what it would look like but get you mind ready to FMQ. It can be a small section of the quilt or half, whatever helps you envision what you might want to use. Save the vinyl for the next project when done.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
How about getting a large piece of vinyl and placing it on top of the tablecloth. With a brown erasable marker (since that is what color thread you want to use) practice your design on the vinyl and you can not only see what it would look like but get you mind ready to FMQ. It can be a small section of the quilt or half, whatever helps you envision what you might want to use. Save the vinyl for the next project when done.
Great idea! I will definitely try something like this. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2015, 05:55 PM

Carol, the vinyl is what I use to test out ideas for quilting all the time. Do put blue painters tape around the borders of the vinyl so you don't accidentally go off onto the quilt top!! Also, if you use the finer point black dry erase markers, you can use the vinyl over and over again. Joann's is a great place to get it, especially with a coupon!!
Old 10-28-2015, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by carol45 View Post
I see that most of you agree with me to follow the fabric's call. Where we disagree is the color of the thread. In my recent practicing with FMQ I found that it looked the nicest (even when there were mistakes) when there was contrast between the thread color and the fabric. Otherwise, the quilting simply doesn't do anything for the quilt. That's why I'm suggesting the dark brown. I'll have to think about this some more because I value all of your experience.
My FMQing has improved (not bragging, just saying) but I still use threads that blend in so much. I need to get a little more daring so the quilting will actually *show*.

I say go with you gut!!

Last edited by SusanSusan33; 10-28-2015 at 05:54 AM.