Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need quilting advice

Blog Entries

Need quilting advice

I found a 100% cotton tablecloth on sale for about $15. It's long enough to make a queen size quilt, but not wide enough. I bought a matching fabric to widen it with, added a white border, and you see the quilt top that I made below. Now, my idea was to do a sort of whole cloth quilt out of this. I want to practice my FMQ on this quilt. I had the idea to quilt the paisleys in a dark brown thread, and then create paisleys on the side sections also in a dark brown. I might want to do slightly more quilting than that on it, as well. My quilting friend thinks that an overall meandering type of quilting might work well on this. I'm hoping that some of you will give your expert opinions on what you think might work for this.
    Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Could you quilt the design that is in the fabric and meandering on the sides? Am I way out of line on this?
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

1st off.. love your idea!
    The only whole cloth quilt I've made (so far), I used some pre-printed fabric as the backing and quilted it from the back side. It was an overall swirling design. The fabric was 108" wide I believe. Love your idea of how to quilt it too.

** Once the fabric was washed, the printing went away.. kind of like embroidery

Power Poster
    I think it would be a great spot to practice FMQing on. I might opt for white thread to do the quilting to hide boo boos myself. An all off white quilt can look very elegant.

I too would recommend quilting in the pattern already there. And maybe decorate inside each paisley. I think I would use an ecru thread just a shade or two darker than the background but not dark brown.

My choice would not be an all-over meander. This is such a neat piece, and would be made way more interesting by enhancing the printed/woven design. I think just about anything would look good on the outside borders - either something to match the inner design, or a meander that is different.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    I would not use dark brown but a soft beige or off white thread...and would FMthe printed design in the fabric.

echo the paisley then do what you want on the edges

I agree with the others on your idea, but lightening the thread choice. I think (as weird as this may sound) that we should listen to the fabric. That was probably the fabric you heard when you came up with paisley. Maybe your friend would hear something else if she worked with the fabric and lived with it in her home, sewing space, and head for a while.
    I know I sound out there, but maybe I am just explaining it wrong......or now that I think about it.....maybe I am out there!! LOL

When I did LA quilting, I would tell the customer, I would let the top tell me what it wants. I know some thought I was crazy, (I probably am), but always sent out a good looking quilt. Now I am looking for a sit down quilting machine.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I totally agree. Anxious to see finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    My choice would not be an all-over meander. This is such a neat piece, and would be made way more interesting by enhancing the printed/woven design. I think just about anything would look good on the outside borders - either something to match the inner design, or a meander that is different.

I agree with all of those who suggest that you let the fabric dictate how it wants to be quilted. If it is "out there" to do that, then I am not alone. I guess we quilters have querky ideas and are very special because we listen to the fabric. At least we are not answering voices in our head.

Blog Entries
    I see that most of you agree with me to follow the fabric's call. Where we disagree is the color of the thread. In my recent practicing with FMQ I found that it looked the nicest (even when there were mistakes) when there was contrast between the thread color and the fabric. Otherwise, the quilting simply doesn't do anything for the quilt. That's why I'm suggesting the dark brown. I'll have to think about this some more because I value all of your experience.

I would do as you said with the paisley in perhaps a thread two shades darker than the background. Then I would sew 1/4" inside the paisleys & do small pebbles within the 1/4". Then perhaps larger pebbles inside the rest. Perhaps a stippling between the paisleys and whatever you choose on the rest. Have I given you too much detail? Sorry!

Power Poster
    Carol, if you are confident in your FMQ skills then go with the colour thread that fulfills your vision. Whatever you decide you will be happy with because you are fulfilling your own idea.

Do your paisleys all over the place on it - that would look fabulous! That said, I hate meanders - they are boring!!! You could make the borders look like they are a companion fabric to the center if you put paisleys on them! Go with your idea - it will be great!!!

Blog Entries
    How about getting a large piece of vinyl and placing it on top of the tablecloth. With a brown erasable marker (since that is what color thread you want to use) practice your design on the vinyl and you can not only see what it would look like but get you mind ready to FMQ. It can be a small section of the quilt or half, whatever helps you envision what you might want to use. Save the vinyl for the next project when done.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
    How about getting a large piece of vinyl and placing it on top of the tablecloth. With a brown erasable marker (since that is what color thread you want to use) practice your design on the vinyl and you can not only see what it would look like but get you mind ready to FMQ. It can be a small section of the quilt or half, whatever helps you envision what you might want to use. Save the vinyl for the next project when done.
    Great idea! I will definitely try something like this. Thanks!

Carol, the vinyl is what I use to test out ideas for quilting all the time. Do put blue painters tape around the borders of the vinyl so you don't accidentally go off onto the quilt top!! Also, if you use the finer point black dry erase markers, you can use the vinyl over and over again. Joann's is a great place to get it, especially with a coupon!!

Quote Originally Posted by carol45 View Post
    I see that most of you agree with me to follow the fabric's call. Where we disagree is the color of the thread. In my recent practicing with FMQ I found that it looked the nicest (even when there were mistakes) when there was contrast between the thread color and the fabric. Otherwise, the quilting simply doesn't do anything for the quilt. That's why I'm suggesting the dark brown. I'll have to think about this some more because I value all of your experience.
    My FMQing has improved (not bragging, just saying) but I still use threads that blend in so much. I need to get a little more daring so the quilting will actually *show*.

I say go with you gut!!
    Last edited by SusanSusan33; 10-28-2015 at 05:54 AM.
    SusanSusan33- Blessed by God at Age 33 (Oct '00) with B/G twins. U.S. Air Force Veteran (1995-2002).