Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need quilting ideas for this one. >

Need quilting ideas for this one.

Need quilting ideas for this one.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:00 PM

Default Need quilting ideas for this one.

I completed this quilt top a few years ago, and now that I have a Babylock Tiara II, I'm ready to quilt it. Problem is, I am at a loss as to a quilting design. Help! You all have been so helpful in the past, I am open to suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails teddy-quilt-2-.jpg  
Old 10-09-2015, 03:47 AM

Cute quilt, but no help here to the quilt design question.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

I just would ditch it and outline the bears in the square. Would also ditch all those geese.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

This is a really cute quilt, and has some great spaces for FMQ. I would first SITD, mostly to stabilize the quilt, and then probably do feathers in the setting triangles on the outside. Some pebbling or other tight background surrounding the flying geese would make them pop. Outline the figures of the bears, and some sort of filler in the gold surrounding them, perhaps straight lines that radiate from each corner. In the white area around the bears I would also do something with a matching thread, perhaps something to do with each letter (repeats of the letter in different fonts perhaps?). You could have a lot of fun quilting this very cute quilt! But since it is for a child, decide whether it's to be hung on a wall or played with on the floor. If the latter, you may not want to invest so much time in the quilting. If the former, it could also be a show quilt.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:17 AM

What a wonderful quilt for some lucky baby! Are the Bears machine embroidered and if so, do you mind sharing where you got them?
Old 10-10-2015, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
This is a really cute quilt, and has some great spaces for FMQ. I would first SITD, mostly to stabilize the quilt, and then probably do feathers in the setting triangles on the outside. Some pebbling or other tight background surrounding the flying geese would make them pop. Outline the figures of the bears, and some sort of filler in the gold surrounding them, perhaps straight lines that radiate from each corner. In the white area around the bears I would also do something with a matching thread, perhaps something to do with each letter (repeats of the letter in different fonts perhaps?). You could have a lot of fun quilting this very cute quilt! But since it is for a child, decide whether it's to be hung on a wall or played with on the floor. If the latter, you may not want to invest so much time in the quilting. If the former, it could also be a show quilt.
Lots of great ideas. Thank you. I'm thinking it's really to big for a baby quilt. I do want to put it into my guild's quilt show next year, so I want to do some quilting that will show. After that I wanted to see if some school or education group would like it for their office, classroom, or raffle item.

I've already SITD around the main blocks, and I do want to do something fancier in the setting triangles. It was mainly what to do in the blocks. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts View Post
What a wonderful quilt for some lucky baby! Are the Bears machine embroidered and if so, do you mind sharing where you got them?
The bears are not embroidered. It was a panel I found either at a quilter's estate sale or a thrift store find.