Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need to rant... >

Need to rant...

Need to rant...

Old 11-15-2008, 04:43 PM

I have to agree that some people think that a Walmart quilt for $30 is a great deal. I used to. Very naive I was back then.

So back about 15 years ago Mervyn's was having a sale on quilts for $30. I thought what a great deal - I always wanted a quilt. So off I went! Bought a quilt and sheets. Brang them home and set the quilt and shams on the bed. Then I noticed the pretty floral pattern was actually painted on not appliqued as I had thought. The stitching was something that could have been done by a child - very large stitches.

Well flash forward 10 years and that quilt that I bought for $30 is now my dogs bed! It's definetely not something that I would be proud to put on my bed!

I have sold some of my quilts that Ihave put many hours into on ebay - only to cry when they sold for about $30. I have even had some at small craft fairs - everyone raved about them, but no one bought them.

We should display a sign next time we are thinking of selling one our quilts: "These are NOT Walmart Quilts - that is why they are not $30. Walmart quilts are cheaply made of inferior products that won't stand the test of TIME. If you think that you could make this quality quilt for less - then by all means don't waste my time. The quilts that you see here cost $$$ me to put together and are made of the best materials that I could find. I spend many weeks or months depending on the size of quilt to make a piece of art that you would be PROUD to display in your home, to be PROUD to give as a gift for someone special, or be PROUD to hand down to your grandchildren. My quilts will be TREASURED for decades to come."
Old 11-16-2008, 09:16 AM

aside from the tax benefits...i forgot to say something important for those us who seriously quilt and spend lots of money on things like thread.

having a tax #allows you to buy WHOLESALE IN BULK. a friend of mine who has a # (from a business) buys tan thread , king tut, for her quilting and you can't believe the price difference. she also buys bolts for backings at whole sale. sometimes we get together and share a bolt or a case of thread. sometimes we buy needles together. if two or three people do this, it really works.