Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: need some advice on putting this quilt together

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by carol45 View Post
    So my 6 year old DGD came to me and gave me the following sheet of paper, and shyly said "This is what I want my quilt to look like." And she wanted everything in purples and pinks. So I set about designing her quilt, and together with her, came up with the following. I haven't included the horse or the butterflies--will applique those on after. I designed it in EQ7 (and thank Penny at EQ7 for all her help with so many projects!). My question is, how the heck do I put this quilt together? I thought I might use a very thin black bias strip to cover the lines between all the different parts--like in a stained glass quilt. But I wanted to hear ideas from some more experienced folks.
    I haven't really chosen the fabrics yet--I just used stuff from EQ7. I have a purple fabric with silver stars that I will use for the sky.
    Thanks in advance!
    Carol
    I don't have much help for you but I would like to say I noticed fabric.com has some castle stuff that might work well for this. It's cute. I love it when they draw stuff like that for you and you can make it for them. My little granddaughter drew me a couple of purses she wants that I am going to try to make for her. Good luck and don't forget to share the pictures.

elm
    It looks like her drawing would be easier to produce. Either way, I'd trace shapes onto fabric backed with fusable and applique.

I agree that appliqué would be easiest and would look great. She is going to treasure this wonderful quilt.

lgc
    Blog Entries
    Just to change things up a bit.
    How about using a Ricky Tims type construction. If I understand it correctly, you draw the design on freezer paper, cut out the shapes, iron to your fabric choices, cut those out leaving seam allowances and sew back together.
    lgc

We Grama's are miracle workers aren't we!!!

Forget the black stain glass outline as it would take away from the picture, so put the horse and butterflys in and call it a job well done. Beautiful colors you have picked.

I have never used EQ7 but I assume the design can print out. Will it print out as a grid or can you print it on graph paper? Its a simple and clean lined picture so once you get the actual measurements for the size quilt you want you can draw the design (with a ruler, additional shapes and a little free hand) on freezer paper or stabilizer, cut out the different parts, iron on and machine appliqué using black thread where you want the outline or bias tape as you mentioned. You DGD can help iron it on the backing and maybe help stitch the longer straight lines with you. Just seems to lend itself to appliqué more than patchwork in Mho. It's going to be adorable please post pics when you're done!!!!
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus

i would probably applique it as well. What fun. I'm thinking about making my dgs a quilt and he is artistic. perhaps i should have him draw what he'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    try this link to turn your picture image into a patchwork quilt design. that should give you a good start to designing this quilt. your dgd will love it all when it's done. i hope you let her work on some small part of it to help deepen her appreciation of the quilt and perhaps consider embellishing with bows, buttons, ribbons, lace, etc. good luck.

mary
    Mary did the work for you in the design. As she mentioned, click on her link & you'll see where she changed the quilt you designed into a quilt with blocks. Good luck.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Good luck I'm sure it will please her how ever you quilt it.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Don't change the darker border, frames the quilt! You could use raw edge applique, or any other applique. Me, I'd be drawing out on grid paper (or freezer paper with lines drawn on it) and, after printing the saved picture as a poster, full size...I'd trace that to the freezer paper...mark placement lines across the outline on the freezer paper...and then cut on the outline. Iron the freezer paper to the FRONT of the fabric, cut out with a 1/4" seam allowance added...copy those hatch marks to the front of the fabric (will be in the seam allowance), then once you have the pieces cut out...snip at the hatch marks 1/8" in...Pin the pieces and sew, making sure not to sew into any seam allowances at the edge of a piece...hard to explain...but you end your stitching 1/4" from the end of each section you sew....take one or two backstitches. when you join each new section to an older section, you stop right at the spot the other sections ended their stitches. You want all seam allowances free of stitches. If you do happen to stitch to an end, or stitch over previous stitched area...you can pick out when you press the section. Leaving the seam allowances open let's you twist the bulky seams (where four sections, or a corner meets) to get them to lie flat.

Applique would be easier...but I like the process of sewing together bigger sections like this.

Actually, won't EQ let you print full size paper piece templates?

Quote Originally Posted by carol45 View Post
    So my 6 year old DGD came to me and gave me the following sheet of paper, and shyly said "This is what I want my quilt to look like." And she wanted everything in purples and pinks. So I set about designing her quilt, and together with her, came up with the following. I haven't included the horse or the butterflies--will applique those on after. I designed it in EQ7 (and thank Penny at EQ7 for all her help with so many projects!). My question is, how the heck do I put this quilt together? I thought I might use a very thin black bias strip to cover the lines between all the different parts--like in a stained glass quilt. But I wanted to hear ideas from some more experienced folks.
    I haven't really chosen the fabrics yet--I just used stuff from EQ7. I have a purple fabric with silver stars that I will use for the sky.
    Thanks in advance!
    Carol
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

That is going to be a beautiful quilt. I am no expert by any means, but I would so paper piece.

I think that it is WONDERFUL!

What a wonderful story! it looks like it will be a darling quilt. Congratulations on trying to "meet her demands." I love it.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I would absolutely choose fusible applique. I think piecing this would be too much work. Although it can be done.

That is so cute!

I can't wait to see your finished quilt. It's already pretty. Sue

If I understand your question correctly you want to know how to "cover" the edges of each applique piece. The bias tape idea would be lovely but time consuming. I'm always looking for the easy way out.

My suggestion would be to applique the pieces on your background and then use decorative stitches to edge each piece of the applique. (I just don't like working with bias tape.)

What a treasure you two are creating. I LOVE the design.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

OOOPS when I said applique I meant fusible applique. Good luck. Please post a finished picture.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

She is a lucky little girl! This will be so beautiful when it's finished and will be a lifetime of memories! I don't know what it is about girls and their pinks and purples, but my DGD is 15 and those are still her colors! Please share pics when you finish. Love the idea of the black bias tape. I'd use fusible web to set it, then the narrow bias tape to cover the spaces between the pieces.

I think I would applique the whole thing but I wouldn't use fusible on it as that can make it stiff and washing it would be difficult- what a lovely project to do using needleturn applique

As crafterrn1 says use steam a seam to keep the quilt soft. I often use the school glue instead, knowing it washes out perfectly. Your grandaughter's design is lovely and it's fantastic to see the trust she has in you to make her drawing become a quilt. The Grandma club is just the best!
    There is nothing you can do to make God love you more and nothing you can do to make Him love you less.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all for the great suggestions and advice. I have printed out the entire quilt top from EQ7 in its actual size and will use that to plan the quilt. I haven't decided on the black bias tape yet--I figure I'll see how it looks once I've got everything in place. It might be too mature, as some of you suggested, or it might have that coloring book look, which would be nice. I will post pictures once it gets going.
    Thanks again!

Rather than a strip of black to outline the different pieces, I would probably do a blanket stitch around each piece in a thread a couple shades darker than the fabric colors.

Very ambitious project. This quilt will probably get washed many times, unless they hang it on the wall so.... I think I would use the idea of using light weight fusible or a lightweight fabric and do the type of applique where you have the design and the fusible or light weight fabric cut to the same shape. Sew right sides together, cut a slit in the backing and turn so you have finished edges, then cut out as much of the middle of the facing as possible. Then use satin stitch or blanket stitch to attach to background. This way there would be less chance of raveling. (sp)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast