Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: need some advice on putting this quilt together

Blog Entries

need some advice on putting this quilt together

So my 6 year old DGD came to me and gave me the following sheet of paper, and shyly said "This is what I want my quilt to look like." And she wanted everything in purples and pinks. So I set about designing her quilt, and together with her, came up with the following. I haven't included the horse or the butterflies--will applique those on after. I designed it in EQ7 (and thank Penny at EQ7 for all her help with so many projects!). My question is, how the heck do I put this quilt together? I thought I might use a very thin black bias strip to cover the lines between all the different parts--like in a stained glass quilt. But I wanted to hear ideas from some more experienced folks.
    I haven't really chosen the fabrics yet--I just used stuff from EQ7. I have a purple fabric with silver stars that I will use for the sky.
    Thanks in advance!
    Carol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I don't know but it sure is wonderful.
    Patski
    always learning

Quote Originally Posted by carol45 View Post
    So my 6 year old DGD came to me and gave me the following sheet of paper, and shyly said "This is what I want my quilt to look like." And she wanted everything in purples and pinks. So I set about designing her quilt, and together with her, came up with the following. I haven't included the horse or the butterflies--will applique those on after. I designed it in EQ7 (and thank Penny at EQ7 for all her help with so many projects!). My question is, how the heck do I put this quilt together? I thought I might use a very thin black bias strip to cover the lines between all the different parts--like in a stained glass quilt. But I wanted to hear ideas from some more experienced folks.
    I haven't really chosen the fabrics yet--I just used stuff from EQ7. I have a purple fabric with silver stars that I will use for the sky.
    Thanks in advance!
    Carol
    I hope this question doesn't offend, but can't you use her drawing directly? Or was she just giving you a rough sketch?
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    I hope this question doesn't offend, but can't you use her drawing directly? Or was she just giving you a rough sketch?
    She was trying to draw from a kind of castle/closet that they play in in their house. She's been overseeing the development of the design, and loves it as it's come along.

She was trying to draw from a kind of castle/closet that they play in in their house. She's been overseeing the development of the design, and loves it as it's come along.
    Thanks. I know some kids who would want THEIR design. Congrats on her wanting to design at her age!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

That's going to be a beautiful quilt!

What is it, with little girls and purple & pink? LOL Those have also been my GDG's favorite colors, for the past three years (at least). I hope your Pink & Purple quilt progresses faster than mine has!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    try this link to turn your picture image into a patchwork quilt design. that should give you a good start to designing this quilt. your dgd will love it all when it's done. i hope you let her work on some small part of it to help deepen her appreciation of the quilt and perhaps consider embellishing with bows, buttons, ribbons, lace, etc. good luck.

mary
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

my own two cents are this, change the darker pink floral fabric for something lighter/ more youthful fabric. And I would use the purple fabric for the castle instead of the yellow and do a blue for the sky. I do like your idea of outlining the castle in the black i think that it would set it off very well. the yellow door i would do in a pink. but that is just me. I would maybe even put her name on the flags/banner. I love purple, not a big fan of pink but my dd just loves it. I have actually been collecting butterfly fabrics and have probably 5-6 different fabrics. mostly purple though. maybe find some really nice butterfly fabric for a final large boarder. I have one that had realistic butterflies on it and is a goldish back ground with the butterflies on it. good luck though. maybe take her with to pick out a couple of the fabrics that you are going to use. She will really love that. My dd who is 4 loves to pick out fabric for quilts. I have to help me all the time. (usually she gets to pick the first fabric for someones quilt and then I get the rest of them.)
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Blog Entries
    Looks like applique would be your best choice, especially for all those "teeth" in the castle. What a wonderful project for the two of you to create together, imagine the memories she'll cherish for the rest of her life! I'd let her choose what colors to put where - after all, it is HER quilt, right?

I would use fusible applique to make the center. Cut a piece of fabric the size of the center (it should be the color you want for the top background) and then layer the other pieces on top of that. You can print the pieces from EQ and then trace them onto fusible or directly on the fabric. Just make sure to remember to reverse where appropriate.

Does that make sense? I don't think trying to piece it will be very much fun, and it's all about fun, right?

How clever of your GD. I made one several years back for my DGD and I may have gone about it the hard way but this is how I did it and it turned out very pretty. I was making a garden with little girls playing in it. I took a solid blue fabric the size of the sky and cut green for the rest of the length cutting the top of the green to look like hills and sewed them together with the blue. I the cut everything else and appliqued everything on. I had a lot of fussy cutting for flower beds, trees and the puppy's and kitty's, and lots of butterfly's. I was very pleased with how it turned out. I am making one now for my two year old DGD doing it the same way only putting each little girl in her own block in her own garden.

Justa tip: there's a pretty fabric called "Castle Peeps", it would make a nice border, Try searching Google images

......My question is, how the heck do I put this quilt together? I thought I might use a very thin black bias strip to cover the lines between all the different parts--like in a stained glass quilt. Thanks in advance!
    Carol
    IMHO The black lines would take away from the child look you'd want for a 6yo and it'd start looking too adult-like.

Why wouldn't you go with applique? .... layer the fabrics on and satin stitch in matching colours around the edges. Of course, it could be all hand applique, though for a child you might prefer the durability of the machine stitching.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would do applique. I don't know how big you intend this to be. I did a castle for my granddaughter, and it was all pieced. I have no idea where that pattern is. LOL Then do raw edge stitching.
    The one who dies with the most fabric wins.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sew N Tune View Post
    I would do applique. I don't know how big you intend this to be. I did a castle for my granddaughter, and it was all pieced. I have no idea where that pattern is. LOL Then do raw edge stitching.
    It will be a twin size bed quilt.

Thanks in advance!
    Carol

Your DGD is pretty creative. I would cut it half between the pink bottom and top purple and sew those two together for the background. Before you sew those two together fuse pink squares to the purple for the block parts of that wall. Then fuse every thing else. I would look for fabrics with butterflies and a horse or even a unicorn to cut out and fuse for the rest of it. You can use a zig-zag, blanket stitch or a satin stitch to finish the edges of all the fused parts.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I agree that it might be fun to let your DGD HELP you pick out the fabrics for each piece. I think you might have to direct her as she might pick some colors that wouldn't go well together. I think you are a great grandmother to go to all this work for your DGD. I only wish I had had a DGM who would have done something like this for me. She didn't quilt. She was a nurse and worked full time, even with 7 children. And my other DGM was deaf and lived on a huge farm and had so many chores that she didn't have time to quilt. She made her and her childrens' clothes though.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Fusible applique with satin stitch

I too would do it applique'. I would outline it in black 'cause it would look like it came from a colorin' book. Whatever ya do it will make it wonderful just for your DGD.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I don't have any different ideas, but I just love the design. This will be so special to both of you since you are spending time together in the design phase. I bet she will be with you every minute she can as she watches it grow and become her idea. You are a special lady!

First of all I love it! It is kinda like the skateboarder quilt I am doing for my dgs. He had artistic license but now as I make it I am changing a few colors and such.
    Secondly I would do a steam a seam applique cutting out the centers of the steam a seam to keep the pieces soft or use misty fuse to adhere the appliques in place.
    Third I would then do a blanket stitch by machine in matching colors around the appliques.
    I would embelish the large areas with machine quilting to add to the interest of each element!
    Good luck it will be a wonderful quilt.
    Luann in CT
    Live Love and Laugh Enough!

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    I too would do it applique'. I would outline it in black 'cause it would look like it came from a colorin' book. Whatever ya do it will make it wonderful just for your DGD.
    Just read somewhere about doing the black outline with black yarn over stitched with a zigzag so it looks like the stained glass window. Would that work for you?

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I agree with crafterrn1 and urge a fusible applique with machine buttonhole stitch. In stead of black, and to keep from changing colors, you might try a gray thread instead. Black is a bit stark.
    Cute quilt!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

That is the best, most fun and loving thing I have seen in a long time. Wish I could see your DGD's face when she sees her quilt.
    Merivale
    Australia.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=LyndaOH;5298258]I would use fusible applique to make the center. Cut a piece of fabric the size of the center (it should be the color you want for the top background) and then layer the other pieces on top of that. You can print the pieces from EQ and then trace them onto fusible or directly on the fabric. Just make sure to remember to reverse where appropriate.
    I agree with Lynda - fusible is the way to go. You could just put the fusible around the edges of the pieces so as to limit the stiffness that could result. Then once they are in place machine applique around them. Your quilting could be outlines of blocks of stone in the area of the castle walls and that would hold the fabric in place. Then quilt some scalloped tiles in the turrets (yellow area) to mimic roof tiles and, and, and, well, gotta go now, I'm inspired!
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast