Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need some help

I made this same quilt several years ago for our local shop's "Quilt Pink" weekend, if any of you remember that national promotion for pink quilts. Anyway, I just added a pink border, but NOT one of the pinks I used in the quilt, so the fabric didn't look like it ws running into the border.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Skowron, that is a very beautiful quilt! I vote for the lighter purple border MTS has shown you. That would be soooo pretty! OMG -- I just realized it's the Breast Cancer Pink Ribbon. I totally did not see that when I looked at the pictures before and by everyone's comments thought it must be the fabric that represented breast cancer. Duh!

I like the purple. What a beautiful quilt and it should do well to raise money. Love it!

suzzyquilter

Quote Originally Posted by skowron5 View Post
    I am making this to donate to a local charity event. The size of the quilt ended up being 45X89. I was unhappy with the size so I put it away and now need to finish this. I have been told to add a 10 or 12 inch med pink border and add some applique pink ribbons on the border.

I have this in my head as not looking right. I think it will look like I didn't want to finish the quilt so just added a big border.

I have seen on here where people have a computer program where they can add borders to show how it would look. If anyone has a program and could do that I would appreciate it.

I would like to add more bargello strips but I waited so long to finish this I can't get all the fabrics I used any longer. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate any advice.

I just can't see how it would look with big borders. It may be fine but I would like to see it. I can find 7 of the pink fabrics I used. Is there a way to add to it using only that amout of strips.
    I love, love the dark purple borders. The 10" sides and 3" tops. That really makes the whole thing stand out!

I would put a border of black about the size of the black in the quilt and then a border of one of the pinks
    and then a border of the purple. This would be like 2 1/2, 5, 7 inch borders. Audtion the fabrics before
    cutting them out to see which ones you like. Your quilt is beautiful and it would be a shame if you didn't
    finish it. Please show it again after you quilt it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I think if you added a small 2" border then the larger dark purple it may make it come together better. Good luck!!!!

Blog Entries
    I'd do a 2" in the lighter purple.....then a 4 or 6" in in the lighter pink and then bind it in the dark purple

how about trying a blue??

Personally, I think I would do the 2" dark purple border on the sides, then a 5" scrappy piano key type border just on the sides, then a 2" dark purple border just on the sides, a 3 1/2" light purple or dark pink sides border, then a dark 2" border all the way around. Then bind in the dark. This would give you a quilt that is 74 x 93 and much more proportional in dimension.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    I think a border would be nice.
    Not pink, there is enough already.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Blog Entries
    This is really very nice. Just add some borders with the colors you have and enjoy that this quilt will make someone happy. I would title the quilt "Rose Bud".
    peace

I like Wildyards idea for the borders and even if you had to add some other pinks and purples to fill out the piano keys it would blend well and look great as a border.
    Last edited by ube quilting; 01-24-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

beautiful quilt!! love the purple borders. It has enough pink.

That is a really gorgeous quilt and obviously a large amount of work and skill on your part.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Thanks everyone. I have decided to go with one 10 inch on sides and 3 inch purple border on top. I have the material and hope to get to it next week. I will post my progress.

This is a beautiful quilt I think the purple borders are the way to go it really shows up pretty. You did an awesome job.

I would put a 2 inche white boarder then a 3 or 5 inch purple one beautiful quilt. And I liked the dark purple boarder
    Last edited by debquilts2; 01-25-2013 at 01:37 PM.

I would stop the quilts movement with a narrow dark purple border on the sides and than add a wide pink border to finish and bind in medium purple it is a beautiful quilt. since it is already 89 inches I wouldn't add anymore to the top or bottom .

Update on my quilt project. Someone saw the top and is going to purchase it the way it is and donate it our local hospital cancer ward. This person said it really needs to be hanging up for the design to show up. Now I have to get busy and get it quilted. Thanks for all the kind words and I will post a picture when it is completed.

Oh, I think this will look wonderful hanging up in a hospital cancer ward. Just beautiful.

Dina

Blog Entries
    The way you are holding up the quilt in the photo makes the design look 3-D. The pink color choice is incredible.
    there are no mistakes, there's only a change of plan

Blog Entries
    I love the darker purple best and you could actually trim the bottom rows off a bit if necessary.

I love the pinks and purples. Could you possibly cut off some of the length ?? I've made a few quilts where I didn't like the proportion when finished and trimmmed it down some and I also did the larger border on sides of other quilts. I'm sure it will look good no matter what you do. I like the pink or purple borders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2