Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some info., please Juki TL98E >

Need some info., please Juki TL98E

Need some info., please Juki TL98E

Old 07-25-2015, 06:10 AM

Red face Need some info., please Juki TL98E

In my area there is a Juki TL-98E on a Grace frame for $900.
*** Does NOT have a stitch regulator.
My questions
*** 1. how old is it
*** 2. is that a good machine
*** 3. is that a good price

*** HELP me before I get into trouble (my $$$ is very tight and
I cannot afford to get a bad one.)

Last edited by jbj137; 07-25-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I looked at Craigslist and found Juki TL-98E's listed at $250 and $550. A Viking MegaQuilter on a Grace frame was listed for $1050. These are asking prices, not necessarily the prices they will sell at.

What are you hoping to do with the machine and frame you buy? The TL-98E is a domestic machine with a 9" throat. It has a good reputation as a piecing machine, but it is not a longarm (they have at least 18" throat) and its use on any frame will be limited. I have no personal experience with either this machine or the Grace frame. I have had friends who loved their Juki's, for piecing. I have read reports of people either loving or hating the Grace frame. But if money is tight, and you haven't had a chance to sew with this machine/frame combination, then I wouldn't recommend jumping in and buying it.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Ebay completed listings have the machine sold for $400 - $550 (including shipping), depending on the accessories included. Grace makes lots of different frames, so don't know if that's a good price or not. As the previous poster mentioned, as you roll the quilt, you will have a smaller & smaller area to quilt, starting with about 7" to maybe 3-4" or so. Having said this there are lots of folks out there who have a domestic machine on a frame & do wonderful work.
Do not buy until you have tried it!
Old 07-25-2015, 08:28 AM

I started my free motion frame journey with a Juki TL98. while the machine is a workhorse, the throat area is VERY limited. You will start with about 3-4 inches MAX of quilting area to start with. As the finished quilt rolls up, it rolls up IN the throat area. That means you will lose quilting area with every roll of the completed quilt. If you are looking for an economical option, I would look for a HandiQuilter. I purchased a used sit down one that I used on a table top frame. When I upgraded to a true long arm, I sold it to my friend. She quilts on it DAILY!
Old 07-25-2015, 09:03 AM

*** I was hoping to quilt (as I hand quilt now) & wanted to try my luck on a Long-Arm..
*** I was told it was a Mid-Arm.
*** It is taken apart and I doubt I will be able to try out.
*** She finally came down to $500. but I am still leary of the size of the throat.

****** ANY MORE INFO. WILL BE APPRECIATED.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

It is not a midarm. Midarms have at least a 13" throat, and this Juki has only a 9" throat. This is a great machine for piecing and free-motion quilting, but in my opinion is not suitable for frame quilting because of the throat size. I would pass on this setup and wait for something that is a true midarm or longarm. Some of the Grace frames are not particularly sturdy, so it's hard to know what the frame might be worth. Most of the value is in the Juki -- but not for frame quilting; for piecing and FMQ, yes.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:19 PM

*** THANKS for all the info. from all the members.
*** I think I will take Prism99's advice and pass on it.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:22 AM

Cool Juki TL98E with Grace frame

Originally Posted by jbj137 View Post
In my area there is a Juki TL-98E on a Grace frame for $900.
*** Does NOT have a stitch regulator.
My questions
*** 1. how old is it
*** 2. is that a good machine
*** 3. is that a good price

*** HELP me before I get into trouble (my $$$ is very tight and
I cannot afford to get a bad one.)
Hi. I have the machine. Sold the frame that you have. IT DID have the stitch regulator. I sold the frame and kept the machine, but now the lady that bought the machine wants my Juki because her Bernina isnt working. I can tell you the JUKI is a workhorse. It never fails. I cant say I would enjoy quilting without the stitch regulator. Im thinking the price is a bit hi, but really am not a great source for that info. Can tell you I wanted to $800 for mine. She got the stitch regulator!! I just realized that!! lol I could have kept it for my use with my machine. Not sure I want to sell it to her because of the wide throat and it is such a good machine. You might try to get it for less??? and then buy a stitch regulator. but the machine is a good one, as long as nothing is messed up on it. Hope that helps? Anyway, she paid $250 for the Grace frame, which was a steal, now wants my machine for $550. Not sure what to do.

Juli
Old 02-21-2021, 08:24 AM

This is funny. I just joined the board. I see now that this post was from 2015... Probably you have worked this out by now.. lol I must pay more attention. Does make me think my machine is worth more that $550.