Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: need some ripper sympathy

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    GRRR. I hated the decorative stitch 1/4" out from the seam. I had to stay the same steady, slow speed (which of course is impossible) and very boring. After 90" I decided to do something else. So here I am with the ripper and a decorative seam that crosses itself twice! I'm going blind. Need sympathy, and reassurance that all those little holes will fill in with a good wash.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I speak from MUCH, MUCH ripper experience. The holes will magically go away. The blindness will even get better after you uncross your eyes. The mental trauma may remain. You may be forever prejudiced against decorative stitches.

This morning I had to use my ripper and my granddaughter wanted to 'help me' with her scissors. And why wasn't I using a scissors? Why do I have so many kids of scissors? She kept my mind off the ripping and I got it done pretty quickly!

Banned
    I've been in your shoes. Some days, it feels like I use my ripper more than I use my machine. You have my sympathy and tears.

You have my sympathy, I am very much like you in changing my mind in the middle of a project.

I had a similar experience on quilt for DD's sister-in-law, decided I hated decoritive stitch I was using about 1/4 way done, but I DIDN'T rip it out, no not me,:) :) :) I pretended I was supposed to use different decoritive stitches!!! I showed them to my DD (the perfectionist) but she too said "we planned it this way" sister-in -law either didn't notice or thought it was designed this way.

been there, done that, moved on ! Just think of all the 'great jobs' and 'way to goes' you'll get when is finished !!

I am so lucky to have a Granddaughter who LOVES to rib out stitches! My daughter used to do it for me, but she grew up and moved away, but now Vanessa comes to the house and begs for stuff to rib out. She is very careful and never tears the fabric, I am one lucky Grama!! :wink:

MUCH sympathy coming your way!

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Awwww - sorry to hear about all the ripping. ;) I think we all have experienced that. I use a little water in a spray bottle to get rid of any holes..I let it air dry or apply a little heat/steam from my iron as long as you're not concerned about shrinkage...it seems to work well on a quilt too where you've quilted with a needle that was a little too big.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    Thanks, guys ... you are truly helpful. But I did get it all ripped - put the phone on speaker and talked to my DM about everything and nothing. AND I HAVE DECIDED WHAT TO DO INSTEAD! Also, I found a way to make the machine slow down no matter how hard I press the pedal - it's a "turtle" icon on my Viking.

Blog Entries
    I use the ripper so much I have named it Jack the ripper. :x

I'm spending time with my ripper too. This time I'm pulling out 12 --36" lines of quilting. We'll be spending most of the week together.

Yes, I know. Since my moniker on here is "stitchnripper" I am all too familiar with that feeling. Glad to know you got it all out.

can relate :lol:

Mucho, mucho sympathy, but take it slow and sure and it will disappear and the memory will go with it (except I have done it several times! :lol: Perhaps I will learn to plan it properly soon, but as you have been reassured, the holes will magically disappear when you dampen or wash the quilt.

some times seems if if rip more than i sew

I am hereby giving you the 'professional' name of ripping:

Frogging

As in "Rip-it, Rip-it".

May you never have to frog again....

Blog Entries
    You have my shoulder to cry on. I have a king sized quilt that I decided after two rows that I didn't like the FMQ pattern I was doing so changed. Now I am ripping out those first two rows. The only thing that keeps me sane is that I leave it at the club. I go to that quilting club once a week. The room is bright with lots of natural lighting. So I rip for a couple of hours and put it away for a week.
    I'll get there. I figure another month in production won't effect the outcome!