Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some tips...a little overwhelmed >

Need some tips...a little overwhelmed

Need some tips...a little overwhelmed

Old 07-15-2011, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
Don't forget about shelves for your books, magazines, patterns. Do you have yarn too? How do you store your thread? In boxes or on thread stands or on the wall? Do you stand to cut your fabric or sit? The height of your cutting mat might make a difference and therefore it's location. You might want 2 ironing stations set up. One by your machine so you can press as you sew and another on a big board in a different location.
Those are very good things to consider. Things I myself was thinking about today. Thanks for helping me think it through!
Old 07-16-2011, 07:15 AM

I have 3 shelf units. One small one is near my cutting space. On the top shelf I keep all of my quilt books and magazines. On the other 2 tall units I place material in plastice totes by color. On the lower shelfs I cut ou pieces ready to sew together and keep in a plastic shoe box. Inside I keep the template I used and a copy of the sets I might choose and a picture of a complete block Maybe this will help some. Oh, My sewing space is in my bedroom. First thing I sew in the am is my sewing mache waiting for me. I used to sew 3 blocks together before eating. Lol
Old 07-16-2011, 08:44 AM

When I moved recently, I had to make do with a much smaller space, here is what worked for me. I got the bookcases at Ikea and they fit in the closet perfectly, I used comic book boards to wrap my fabric, and got the cabinets at Ikea also and keep all my fat quarters and jelly rolls in the drawers along with notions etc. I also use the top of the cabinets as a cutting surface. I wish I has as much space as you. You will have a wonderful sewing space when you are done

still have more fabric to wrap
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227216[/ATTACH]

Love having everything where I can see it
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227217[/ATTACH]

Have two side by side with a big cutting mat on top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227218[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-227210.jpe   attachment-227211.jpe   attachment-227212.jpe  
Old 07-17-2011, 05:42 PM

When I go my new sewing/quilting room I decided to do two armoires (did I spell it right?) Cabinets with closed doors to keep the sun away from the fabric. I found two I liked in Penney's catalog in the bathroom furniture section. Inside I bought the clear shoeboxes to put fabric in and no lids on them. The bookcases I had I have put patterns in pattern boxes and labed the ends. I also have quilt books plus a few plastic bins with labels. I had hubby put a board across the top of my two bookcases and have old clear canning jars with things like rick rack, small amounts of ribbon and different kinds of buttons. Hope this helps some. I also did not have a closet in my room as it was called a "media room", heck who needs a media room when you need a quilt studio!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:55 PM
KLO

Lots of great ideas have already been posted. I wondered if you had a window or two in your room? If so, I would try to make sure I had a view out one from my primarily used machine (in case you have more than one like some of us do!!!). As I have gotten older, I need/want more and more light all the time. My sewing room has very little natural light and no view. That is the one big thing I would change if I could. Have fun!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:50 PM

Go to the Quilting Board at the top of this page and click on "search" then type in "Sewing rooms, pictures" you'll get tons of ideas from our members.
Enjoy
Old 07-19-2011, 05:59 PM

I am in a similar position. My previous sewing room/studio was a 10x10 bedroom with a closet. Now My room is our bonus room over the garage. I have everything crammed in a 10x10 space. LOL! I would rather sew than rearrange the stuff!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:17 AM

Looks like a ver nice room to quilt in. I would use the bookcase to organize my books and maybe patterns. The closet would be great for fabric. Maybe add a few more shelves in there. Congratulations on getting such a great spot to create in.