Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Suggestions for a New Quilting Chair >

Need Suggestions for a New Quilting Chair

Need Suggestions for a New Quilting Chair

Old 02-11-2017, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

Because I was a secretary for many years, I have always used an office chair when sewing, as it gives better back support than a dining room chair. I would go to an office supply store and check out office/secretarial chairs, as you can often find a chair for a reasonable price, especially during a sale. Having 5 wheels makes the chair sturdy, and if your sewing room has a carpet, you can buy a clear plastic "thingy" (Sr. Moment) that you place under the chair allowing the chair to move freely. Since we down sized, I have limited sewing space, but in my house I had my sewing machine set up on one table and the ironing board set up to my right, and the wheels on the chair helped me switch from one to another. I hope this helps you find the right chair.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:13 AM

I would find the best chair that fits my needs...AND I use my Bissell stick vacuum daily to keep threads off the floor
Old 02-11-2017, 04:25 AM

All of the above! I don't think I have a problem with threads stuck in the rollers on mine but I have a waste basket next to my machine so waste goes into that. Of course, some misses and is on the floor but anyhow..... I would suggest trying chairs and be sure that, when you lean over to pick up something off the floor, the rollers don't work too well and pitch you down there with what you intended to pick up. Might be picking self up, too!!
Old 02-11-2017, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
If you live near a Container Store, check out the bungee chairs. A friend had one at a retreat and it was the best sitting chair I have ever sat in. I got one and am waiting for a sale to get another one. They do go on sale occasionally from the $149.00 price. The bungee cords are strong, firm and the shape of the back is perfect. I have the armless one in raspberry pink and absolutely love it.
here is a link
https://www.containerstore.com/s?source=form&q=bungee+chair&submit=

This advice is spot on. This chair has swept the entire group at our big twice yearly quilting retreat. The chair is so important to these quilters that their chair comes to the retreat along with their machine! Some of these bungee chairs have been coming for several years and are holding up well. I have been waiting until we move next month to get mine but, you can bet that's the one I will be getting. I have never seen any with thread in the wheels. They are on sale occasionally and I know that the Black Friday sale at the Container Store usually features them. Good Luck!
Old 02-11-2017, 07:20 AM

I have a chair that came with my serger. It has a deep storage space inside to store the serger. I have been rolling in that thing for thirty years on carpeting. Not shag rug, but not very smooth either. I just go from the sewing machine to the serger, and surprisingly, the carpet doesn't even show wear where I always roll on it.

My son made a rolling chair for me from a quite grand dining chair he bought at a yard sale. That thing rolls easily on my hardwood floor in the living room. I haven't tried it yet on the carpet.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:29 AM

I have the $25 armless cheap office chair. Works well. When it wears out I actually want one of those rolling stools providers use in medical offices. They're super adjustable and very comfy.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:18 AM

I have always had troubles with my back from a car accident. So I spent a lot of time looking for something that would be good for my back. I have to say that I finally decided to spend the money on a Koala chair. I waited until they went on sale at my LQS and then it was about the same price as a mid-level office chair. I have been pleased with it ever since.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
All of the above! I don't think I have a problem with threads stuck in the rollers on mine but I have a waste basket next to my machine so waste goes into that. Of course, some misses and is on the floor but anyhow..... I would suggest trying chairs and be sure that, when you lean over to pick up something off the floor, the rollers don't work too well and pitch you down there with what you intended to pick up. Might be picking self up, too!!
I don't bend well anyway so I usually use the EZ reacher I have. Thanks for the advice
Old 02-11-2017, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

I appreciate all the advice. Thanks everyone. I don't live near a Container store but I can go look at our LQSs. I don't have to give up my chair I am using but I have noticed I lean forward alot and it is hard on my back. I need to get something with better support.

I'm not sure about the bungy chair. It sounds great but the way it looks with spaces between cords makes me think my skin will not like it. It doesn't have a solid surface. If I sit in a folding chair made with strips of plastic my skin goes numb where there is just air between the straps. I could put a cushion in it tho.

At our VA they have chairs in one of the waiting rooms something like this. I think they are a mesh. I think they are the most comfortable things and have wished I could steal one or two LOL
Old 02-12-2017, 06:37 AM

Have never heard of a bungee chair. From the pictures--are they a framework with bungee cords across? Doesn't that elastic give out with use? Several years ago Dollar Tree had a flexible frame with mesh on it that I am still using in my sewing chair and especially when I'm quilting in a hoop and seated on the couch. It's a lot better than a pillow to my back and I love the thing. Price was super, too!! Don't know if they are still out there as haven't looked but highly recommend those. (Since it was something I liked, they probably don't make 'em any more!)