Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Suggestions for a New Quilting Chair >

Need Suggestions for a New Quilting Chair

Need Suggestions for a New Quilting Chair

Old 02-10-2017, 02:45 AM
Power Poster

Default Need Suggestions for a New Quilting Chair

I have been using my husband's older wheelchair and it has about worn out on me. I am thinking of getting a new chair.

I have had problems in the past with wheels that collect up threads and then the wheels won't turn.
So I'm hesitant to get an office type chair. Wheelchair wheels won't catch threads. but I don't want to put money into a wheelchair just to sew in.

Even if thread was not an issue what is a good brand to buy? My posture is not the best in the wheelchair so I know I do need to be more aware of the support in the back of a chair.
any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-10-2017, 04:12 AM

I am not sure I understand your question. Do you mean a wheel chair because you are disabled and need it for mobility. Or, do you mean a chair with wheels on it for your sewing station? If it is the latter I suggest using an office mat on the floor for the chair to roll on. I have an office type chair, no arms, with four wheels to move me about. It never gets thread in the wheels and I have used it about six or seven years. I have worn our two floor mats. I am fairly careful about thread on the floor. Pick it up frequently. That is easy to do with the office mat.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:06 AM

Instead of an office-type chair with wheels, I put felt sliders on the feet of my sewing chair. The type of sliders I've found that work best are the ones that are both cup-shaped and sticky. In my experience the ones that are cup-shaped but don't stick to the chair come off very easily, and the ones that are sticky but flat accumulate lint/threads/pet fur and end up looking terrible (and also eventually fall off). The ones that are cup-shaped and sticky stick to the chair but the lint can't get to the sticky part as long as the cup isn't much bigger than the chair leg, and then I can slide around in the chair and don't need a floor mat to protect the floor.

I don't have any advice on finding a comfortable chair except to say that it was really difficult! But this might help with the wheel issue.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

I got the the Arrow Sewing Chair for Christmas. I love it. It gives me excellent support. I wish I had bought one years ago. https://www.arrowcabinets.com/produc...sewing-chairs/
Old 02-10-2017, 05:59 AM

I realized that I never lean back when I'm sewing, so have changed out to a stool. Mine has a slightly rounded bottom that allows me to lean over and swivel very easily. It is also lightweight enough that I just pick it up and move it from my sewing machine over to my serger. And it takes up very little space - another bonus in my sewing room.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

I use an office chair with good back support. The arms could be removed, but I prefer to keep them. I do have to turn it over and cut the threads away from the wheels, but not very often (and I do drop threads on the floor, all the time). I have more trouble with threads in the wheels of my saddle chair, which sits near the longarm. Even though I don't use it much, it really collects those threads. Maybe some wheels are more prone to thread collection than others.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I went to Staples and tried out their office chairs. I figured if they are good for back support for sitting hours in an office, they would work for me. Make use to bring a tape measure and the tape so you know your knees will sit comfortably under your table.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

I also just got myself an Arrow chair, hydraulic, with the button fabric. got on sale at All Brands. had to email to get it but it worked. you may want a more substantial chair though.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:32 AM

I have an office chair with good lumbar support without arm rest.
I also clean as I go and keep a waste basket close to my chair.
Not a neat freak but I'd rather avoid an accident. Back problems
are no fun.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:03 AM

Me too, EasyPeezy. I have an empty little tuna can next to my machine and clean up my thread snippings as I go. I use a Craig's List office chair and only once in 5 years have had to clean the wheels.