Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Tips on Low-to-No Cost Fabs for Charity Quilts >

Need Tips on Low-to-No Cost Fabs for Charity Quilts

Need Tips on Low-to-No Cost Fabs for Charity Quilts

Old 01-16-2011, 11:39 AM

isn't there one charity that supplies the fabric to make the quilt? thought I read about it here on the board.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:44 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

QFK (Quilts for Kids) will send you a kit, its the top fabrics & back ~ you supply the batting, binding & labor. They do ask that you send a 2nd quilt from your stash's fabrics to help defray the cost of them sending you fabrics & shipping it to you.

You can also get the kits thru your local chairperson. Then you delivery finished quilts back to that chair, vs. mailing back to PA if they mail you the kit.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Banned

you can forget most retail stores, only the actual corp. can make those donations and they don't!
Lqs are barely making it now, so doubt there would be any help there...

Like others have said, FREECYCLE.org for your local area is a good place to try.

I also go to my thrift stores on Tues at one and Fri at the other, they have a sale area and I buy the 100% cotton mens shirts for $.25! Do you know how much fabric you can get out of a 3xl long sleeve shirt???? and for that kind of money I stay well stocked on charity fabrics! Skip the womens shirts, too many seams, darts etc and they are never 100% cotton, they always have poly or spandex in them!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:55 PM

I have always just used my own stash when making charity quilts. Definitely post on freecycle and craigslist. I have donated to people on freecycle before.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:04 PM

Yes there is, but I do not want to machine quilt and they require it to be machine quilted because of the heavy use it gets.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:06 AM

Who do you donate the quilts to? I know that all the Children's Hospitals require donated quilts to be entirely 100 % cotton, prewashed, and machine quilted. They have strict size requirements also so I hear. But I've heard that they accept pillowcases with similar structure requirements. Someone told me they were making wheelchair lap quilts for the VA and that these had to be so very flexible and warm that they used a lot of fleece and only quilted with Stitch in the Ditch. For all of you who quilt for charity, THANK YOU!!!!, and please pass along the requirements. Maybe more of us will start.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
isn't there one charity that supplies the fabric to make the quilt? thought I read about it here on the board.
Yes, quiltsforkids.org. But you have to supply the batting. They like you to also make quilts from your stash, but they want new fabric.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

I would think there would be lots of places you could donate that wouldnt care so much about size and type of fabric. Battered womens shelters, places that take foster kids, nursing homes, animl shelters, for the not so perfect ones.........
Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

I would think there would be lots of places you could donate that wouldnt care so much about size and type of fabric. Battered womens shelters, places that take foster kids, nursing homes, animl shelters, for the not so perfect ones.........
Old 01-17-2011, 06:06 AM

I am in charge of the quilt project at our church, we get fabric from people who quit quilting, estates and I haunt the clearance tables at the stores that sell fabric. I choose the better kind, if I can see through it,I don't buy it. We have used drapery samples for tops and discarded bed sheets from a local motel for backings. We don't use polyester any more, I refuse to sew with it, too hard on the hands and sewing machine. We tie all our quilts and they are taken to Milwaukee to several churches and places where the poor and homeless can come for food and comfort. Word gets around if you mention you can use fabric for quilts at the cutting counter. If I see marked down fabric I buy the whole piece and people always ask, what are you going to make? Our group was mentioned in a synod mission newsletter and we received boxes of fabric from out of state. A 95 year old lady cuts our squares, another lady sews tops, 8 of us tie and two of us hem the outsides. I keep track of everything and call the man who takes the finished quilts to the charities. If there is a fire in town, we donate quilts to the victims or if we hear of someone in need, they get one or two. We sell some now and then and the money is used to buy batts with coupons, another way to save money. We also make baby quilts for the Right to Life Groups in our area. Out of the scraps from cutting squares, I make strip quilt tops so we use it all up. You can do alot with strips two inches wide.
Some places have requirements and the quilts have to be machine or hand stitched, we don't do that. There is another church here that handquilts so we send people to them.

Carol J.