Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need your help >

need your help

need your help

Old 11-01-2015, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by tubsfam View Post
ok quilters, looking for fast and easy ( by that I mean not tons of pieces) pattern that I can complete by Christmas for my DD. Need queen size. Would be grateful for your ideas.

Thanks Marie

I want to thank everyone for the ideas. I will be checking them all out an let you know what I chose.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:15 PM

You asked for an idea of a traditional and a modern quilt. Visit this site below. I think this is more traditional but a beautiful quilt. I wasn't able to copy the photo; found this on Pinterest.

htt://wwwthecompanstore.com/bell-quilt/CX90x.html

I'm posting a black/white/green quilt that can be traditional or modern depending on the fabrics you select.

Ok that picture isn't posting either. Go to the Make-it-do site ... it's a picnic quilt w/black & white squares and green strips. I'll try again later to get the pics posted.

Last edited by Sharonquilts; 11-01-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:15 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I've always said a triple rail fence quilt is one of the quickest, easiest to do; when you finish sewing the strips together, cut the block sections out and the quilt is virtually done! Color placement is what makes these quilt so appealing.

Here are three I designed. Two are just graphics - ideas done in MSPaint program, one other was sold in Austin, TX 10 years ago.

Notice that the colors are "graded" -- the reds, for example, range from dark red, to true red, to lighter red. The blues do the same. The 'whites' are 3 different ecrus, or white tone-on-tones, or, preferably, shirting prints. This makes the rails coherent and keeps the pattern from looking "jittery" over all.

I suggest choosing a theme print for your larger border (and maybe the backing!), then choosing your other colors from the theme print.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails rail-fence-grandmas-porch-commission-2005.jpg   double-rail-fence.jpg   triple-rail-fence.jpg  
Old 11-01-2015, 03:13 PM

Big Square quilt from The Company Store

I think you can get a pattern at their website.
Attached Thumbnails big-squares-quilt-company-store.jpg  
Old 11-01-2015, 03:17 PM

This is the other quilt I tried to post earlier.
Attached Thumbnails squares-stripes-picnic-quilt-make-do.jpg  
Old 11-01-2015, 08:33 PM

I love this quilt, ube quilting! It seems like the perfect answer to the question of what to do with a feature fabric that has a rather large print, and it's so elegantly simple.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:17 AM

When I need a fast quilt I use the 10 minute block, looks great and I can put a queen sized top together in a couple of hours. If you haven't seen one google it and watch tutorial on utube.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:31 AM

Bricks and Mortar is always a goto for me. it is very pretty in florals
Old 11-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Paper Princess about the disappearing hourglass or any other disappearing block from MSQC, as they do go together quickly and make beautiful quilts.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:39 PM

I made this quilt in a few days. Not sure what it is called. Cut 3- 2.5" strips WOF and sew together. Cut into 6.5" blocks. Alternate these blocks with a plain square 6.5". I did it on point so the first row is my solid block. The next row has a solid then a stripped then a solid. Each row (start laying out in the corner of the design wall) will have a solid block at each end. Alternating with the stripped blocks. Laying them horizontal in the odd number rows and vertical in the even numbered rows. I will try to post a pic tire of my quilt. This is on point rather than as a rail fence.
Another way to put it together. I was pleased with this. Now I will quilt in the solid spaces, and SID on the stripped blocks. The only thing is I can't figure out how to do this anyway but square. That to me is not a bad thing because it can go on the bed in any direction. Now I will try to post pictures. [ATTACH=CONFIG]534784[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg