Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need your input

You don't HAVE to buy the HST ruler to make HST's. I have seen Jenny make the HST's that way, and I do somewhat agree with what your shop owner says, and this is the main reason I don't make HST's this way, but instead cut my 2 squares 1" larger then the size of the HST I want, then trim it down, but if you want to make it Jenny's way, I would suggest that you starch good and that should prevent any trouble with the bias.

[QUOTE=BDawn;6021967]Yes, she does make it look easy and I thought it was. I will starch twice once on back then front, sew. Here is a picture of the sample then a picture of the material I am using I will not be using any of the sample pattern ( it was just a practice piece) Thank you all I am just so happy to be able to get such great knowledge and willingness to help.
    Attachment 409755

I too love the fabrics you've chosen, and your practice block looks great (especially the 8 points coming together in the center!), except I don't see enough seam allowance at all the outer edges to keep the star points from being cut off when you combine the blocks. I would want to find a solution for that before proceeding.

Your sample looks great to me! Also like the table cloth .

Quote Originally Posted by BDawn View Post
    I made a Big Star block using the tutorial off of missouriquiltco.com. I took it with me to pick out fabric and get suggestion at one of our local quilt shop. The owner of the shop tells me that the method used on Missouri Quilt Co. is completely wrong and that I need to purchase the nifty HST ruler because I will have trouble with bias the way that was shown in the tutorial. I bought the ruler and tried cutting HST with it. I watch youtube how to do this but I am not pleased in how it works. On the Missouri Quilt site the instructor states to cut 10 inch block and 1/4 seam around block then cut diagonal to form 4 HST.Has anyone tried sewing around block then do a diagonal cut? Or why will this not work? Thank you for advice.

I thought my sample looked good and I am now confused how you would be able to make this quilt without having to work with the bias

Good heavens! What is with the incessant need to sell specialty rulers? What is so hard about making HST? You can cut squares without any ruler, then HST's with only a straight line between opposing corners. May not be the exact size called for in a pattern, but if all the squares were equal to begin with, then the quilt COULD go together without nary a measuring stick of any sort.

There comes a time to speak up and simply say you'll find another store that won't try to fleece you.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

LOL, simple answer, you can't make a triangle using 90 degree corners. At least one side WILL NOT be on the grain.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    I use the same method as PaperPrincess. No special ruler, no scary diagonal edge.
    LOL, if you cut a triangle you will have at least one edge not on the straight grain. Whether it's scary or not is a personal choice.
    U N T I E

BDawn, love your color and print choices!
    U N T I E

I have never used a ruler to cut my HST's and never had a problem. I love the one you did, It is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by rebeljane View Post
    I have used the 1/4" seam around the block and cut on the diagonal, I had no problem with the bias edges, it worked great for me and I didn't even starch

I always use the two squares and sewing and cutting into two HST. That way the bias cuts are already sewn together.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    LOL, if you cut a triangle you will have at least one edge not on the straight grain. Whether it's scary or not is a personal choice.
    Well, a DUH! to me. It took a while to soak in, but I know what was meant by NO scary bias cuts. When you use the two square method, the bias "cut" is already sewn together. Sorry about the response above.
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Your block is beautiful and so is your fabric choice.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    I use the same method as PaperPrincess. No special ruler, no scary diagonal edge.
    Me, too. I'd much rather not have the diagonals on the outsides of the blocks.

Ok I will repeat
    There Are NO Quilt Police, 25 times, Oh shoot I lost count
    . Thank you for your interest in my topic and I appreciate all of the great advice. I am going to proceed in the direction I started with and if it doesn't work I will learn something new (costly but most mistakes in life are costly this is how we learn. That is what I plan to tell my husband anyway hope he buys it )
    Daffy Daphne, thank you for that great catch, I am not sure what happened will remeasure the squares. They are the ones that you cut to make into 6.5 inch square.
    Thank you for the complements on the fabric I am using they are very rich in color and the picture really doesn't do them justice.

Your colors in the fabric selected are beautiful. Your crocheted table cloth is beautiful.

Blog Entries
    I made the big star quilt using their video and I didn't have any problems with bias. I don't even think I used starch.here is a picture of mine. It was a very fun and easy quilt to do!
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=Daffy Daphne;6023092]
    Yes, she does make it look easy and I thought it was. I will starch twice once on back then front, sew. Here is a picture of the sample then a picture of the material I am using I will not be using any of the sample pattern ( it was just a practice piece) Thank you all I am just so happy to be able to get such great knowledge and willingness to help.
    Attachment 409755

I too love the fabrics you've chosen, and your practice block looks great (especially the 8 points coming together in the center!), except I don't see enough seam allowance at all the outer edges to keep the star points from being cut off when you combine the blocks. I would want to find a solution for that before proceeding.
    Good point about that outer edge "scant" 1/4" seam allowance......hope it is not like periwinkle. I have not made HST the way Jennie does, don't like fussing w/bias if I don't have to....but we each find our own path....

Blog Entries
    If bias is a problem and it usually will be on a few no matter how much you starch, just cut strips of lightweight fusible interfacing and fuse an X through the block where you will be cutting. Cut as usual and no stretching at all. I buy the this and use it all the time for bias edges. Not one worry about stretching. Name:  41havuei9pL.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  27.8 KB
    Got fabric?

I've made pinwheels using the Missouri method and had no problems with it!! I didn't use starch. Maybe I was just lucky but I thought it was very easy!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I found out everyone does it their way. Whichever is best for you is the way to go. I met 3 ladies from the same guild and asked them all different ways to cut a same block. They all said the way they did it was best. One paper pieces everything and gets her best look. So I would say whatever method works for you. BTW love your material color choice.

I'd say you did just FINE! Take the ruler back if you want to.

Blog Entries
    I used this method for making hst's - http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t141047.html

I wasn't making this particular quilt, but still an hst.

BDawn, I just had to smile at the background for showing your fabric. My mother made so many pineapple doilies in years long past. I still have many of them stored in a cedar chest. As for your HST, choose your method and handle carefully. I am always amazed at the comments about starching because it is so easy to distort the fabric with starch because you iron the fabric rather than press it. A bias seam is more stable if it is made a little large and then square it up. If you try to force it into position you lose and it wins.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    If you cut a square, then sew on each side of a drawn diagonal line, it stablizes the bias before you cut, the resultant HST has straight grain on all 4 sides.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Southern Illinois (also HI, OR, WA, TX, CA, MO, etc.)

Cool I love your fabric selections!

Yes, she does make it look easy and I thought it was. I will starch twice once on back then front, sew. Here is a picture of the sample then a picture of the material I am using I will not be using any of the sample pattern ( it was just a practice piece) Thank you all I am just so happy to be able to get such great knowledge and willingness to help.
    Attachment 409755
    Fabric I am using
    Attachment 409756
    Each of us has a favorite way of piecing and "Knows" ours is the only correct way to do things. Just make a sample from scrap fabric using the way that you are most comfortable and confident and go for it! No one will know but you. We will all faithfully swear not to leak your methods to the Quilt Police.

Blog Entries
    I tried the MQcompany method and it worked for me. I've made 6 blocks so far but my squares/fabric were cut at 9.5 inches instead of the layer cake method she suggests. Then I trimmed the finished HSTs to 6 inches even because that's how I wanted the size to be.
    I'm not sure why your local quilt shop would side track you, instead of encourage your decision.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast