Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle change >

Needle change

Needle change

Old 06-28-2012, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi View Post
I have found I am able to "sharpen" my needles and it helps to make them last longer.. other wise I do not change my needles untll I begin to have problems , the needles seem to be sluggish piercing the fabric or they break
I'd like to know how you sharpen your needles, and by the way that's one serious looking avatar.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:40 AM

Where did I read that we have no problem forking out hundres, if not thousands of dollars, on a sewing machine, but do not want to change the needles, cheap as chips, often enough? Every project or 8 hours' of sewing is a good guide. After sounding snooty........ why do I often have to work until I can hear that the needle is blunt before changing it?
Old 07-01-2012, 08:42 AM

My avatar is Zipster the supervisor. He is a strict Quality control... and I think he had just found a loose thread... LOL

He loves to " help".

I sharpen my needles by running them a few times thru the "old tomato pincushion" granite sand fob. I primarily only sew charity items usually for Veterans, and I live on a very tight fixed income, so I feel I need to get every bit of life out of all my equipment. Some needles sharpen better than others.. My current sharpened needle was donated from a QB member and I'm on my 6th quilt top using that needle. Yes, needles are cheap, but when you live on a fixed income, evena couple of dollars can be difficult so you try to make things last as long as possible. If I can get even one quilt out of "sharpened" needles that that much saved that I can put towards more for the veteran or charity project. I do accept donated fabrics, batting, fleece, flannel, thread, orphans blocks, & needles that may have little life left in them for your projects.
The Veterans do not mind an item used to be a unloved or an extra block of piece of fabric.. they love them, they cherish them, and it brightens theirs lives.

Thank you to the many QB members that have donated to this cause!

bluteddi

Originally Posted by Hattie Frances View Post
I'd like to know how you sharpen your needles, and by the way that's one serious looking avatar.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

I don't understand why wait until the needle is dull. Makes no sense at all to me. But I've seen guild members use pins and hand sewing needles so dull they have to be stabbed in the fabric. You'd think they will miss a meal to buy new ones.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:43 PM
QM
Power Poster

I use the titanium needles, which are a great money saver. When they have worn, I can hear a change in the sound of the machine. Since a worn out needle makes sewing harder, I do change frequently. Remember, hitting things that break or bend needles can throw off the machine timing, so should be avoided if at all possible.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:34 PM

I can say I don't change mine often enough, because I don't remember. When I remember to, I change it.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:11 AM

My two main reasons for change are: A new project someone ordered 2) thumping sound when sewing. When I make s-g just for fun/myself I'm not that particular, for PP projects for myself I may take an older needle to replace a thumping one, might get a block or two, and also if I have a lot of basting or ruffles to do. I often save needles when I have to start a new project someone ordered.Low income - small pension, that's why.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:23 PM

I know I should change them more often, but in reality, I change them when they go "pop, pop, pop" or break.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:54 PM

I change needles often. I always use my coupons to save on the cost. Why take chances on damaging a good machine for the sake of a needle? I make 3-5 charity quilts a week, so my machine gets a good workout every day.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:28 PM

I totally agree with you. I am on a fixed income, however, I like to use good quality needles and change them after a project that has taken quite a few hours to complete. I can not believe that people wait until a needle breaks. That can be dangerous, and it can wreck your expensive machine some day. It costs well over a hundred dollars to have a new needle bar installed on a machine, and I am told that having needles break can sometimes also ruin the needle bar. I buy my needles from a favorite store on eBay at a good price.