Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle sizes needed >

Needle sizes needed

Needle sizes needed

Old 05-05-2014, 04:00 AM

Default Needle sizes needed

I'm getting ready to star practicing my straight line and FMQ quilting. There are so many sizes of needles that I don't know what I'm going to need. All I have on hand is Schmetz quilting needles and some universal needles that came with my machine. What sizes do you experienced quilters use? I thought now would be a good time to order since Joanns has cheap shipping today. I sew with a Brother PQ 1500S machine if you need to know and I use Aurafil 50wt thread
Old 05-05-2014, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

I use Mettler thread on my Bernina 1530 and normally I use either a 12 or a 14 size of Schmetz quilting needles. There is an very informative chart when I Google Schmetz needles describing what each type of needle is for. Universal needles are a general purpose needles for using on both knits and woven.

http://www.schmetzneedles.com/learni...C-brochure.pdf
Old 05-05-2014, 05:45 AM

I usually use Schmetz 90/14 topstitching or 80/12 sharp. I don't usually use Universal, so I can't speak for those!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:08 AM

Universal 80/12 for piecing. 90/14 top stitch on domestic or MR4.0/18 on longarm for quilting..

Last edited by TeresaA; 05-05-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

For stitch in the ditch quilting with my older (1980s pfaff) - I usually used an 80 schmetz regular or universal needle and the cotton covered coats and clark dual duty thread.

And - gasp - 15 to 20 yearrs and many washings later - the bindings are starting to fray, but otherwise the quilts are holding up well.

I try to use as small size as possible that will handle the job. ( whyy use a pitchfork when a table fork will do?)

For heavy denims, I do use the needles for jeans/ denim.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

I have the same Brother machine. I use Titanium coated Topstitch needles. They stay sharper much longer when machine quilting then other needles. Aurifil 50wt is 2 ply. I use a size 18/12
Here is the guideline I use:

Here is link to good online information about thread and needles. http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/
Old 05-05-2014, 07:07 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with Onebyone. You most definitely want a topstitch needle. They have a larger eye and longer scarf. The scarf is the indentation in the needle that the thread lives in as the needle goes in and out of the fabric. A larger eye and longer scarf means less friction on the thread, and it won't fray and break.

I have the exact same machine, and when I had it on a frame, I used size 18 needles. If I went to a smaller size, I got lots of skipped stitches.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-05-2014, 07:29 AM

It usually depends on the weight of thread you're quilting with. If using .004 nylon, you could go as low as a size 70, but if you're using a 30-weight, you would need to step up to a size 80. Most machine quilting experts don't recommend using anything bigger than a size 80 because of the holes that are created with those bigger needle sizes.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have the same Brother machine. I use Titanium coated Topstitch needles. They stay sharper much longer when machine quilting then other needles. Aurifil 50wt is 2 ply. I use a size 18/12
Here is the guideline I use:

Here is link to good online information about thread and needles. http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/
The needle to use depends both on the weight of thread AND the quilt sandwich, including thickness of batting. If you start getting thread fray/breakage with any combination above, the first thing to do is change to a larger eyed (larger in general) needle. You are especially vulnerable with multidirectional (FMQ) stitching. Longarms tend to use needles designed for multidirectional use. I have yet to find multi-directional needles for domestic sewing machines (including some mid-arms).
Old 05-05-2014, 09:55 AM

It will also depend on the ply in addition to the weight. For example, you will need a bigger eye for a 60/3 than a 60/2 thread. I test the thread with the needle. Put the needle on a length of thread and hold it up at a 45 degree angle. Does the needle move? If it does not, go to a bigger needle. Does it fly down the length? If so, go to a smaller needle. The needle should "hop" down the thread. If it does, you have the right size.