Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
needle sizes??? >

needle sizes???

needle sizes???

Old 02-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
This is what I use and I just labeled the outside in large numbers the size and type of needle, way easier to use

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Singer-Mac...nizer/19398744
Awesome, thank you so mcuh.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 AM

I think I recall somebody said to go over the writing on the needle with a sharpie pen and it would make is easier to read. I haven't tried it yet.........
Old 02-10-2012, 11:06 AM

Thanks for all your replies. I think I like the tomato idea best. Then I'll know what size it is and that it is used. :-)
Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 AM

I work for the importer of SCHMETZ Household Needles into the North American Market. We have asked SCHMETZ to re-introduce the little magnifying area on the top section of the plastic cover. We're not sure why it was ever discontinued. Unfortunately I don't have any time table as to if, and when, they may reintroduce this feature.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

I wish there was a gauge - like for knitting needles - that I could stick a needle in - and then I could determine what size the needle is.

I can't read that fine print either. About all I can tell is if I have a spike (like a denim needle) or a finer one.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:33 AM

I like the color coded ones so if they aren't I use fingernail polish & create my own. Heck you can even get green fingernail polish now.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by grocifer View Post
I think I recall somebody said to go over the writing on the needle with a sharpie pen and it would make is easier to read. I haven't tried it yet.........
I've done this with other items with embossed/ engraved writing, it works well. The trick is not to press hard so you don't get ink in the impressions.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Nope, you're NOT the only one. Lately I find that I reach into my sewing box often for my ... magnifying glass. It came in an accessory box for one of my used machines and honestly, I simply cannot read that fine print without it. In fact, sometimes I can't read it with it!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

I think part of the problem is that the needle and the writing are too shiny. I think the sharpie idea is good but I think I will deliberately write where the numbers are and quickly wipe the ink off. I think it might leave enough sharpie marker ink in the impressions to make it easier to read? I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

Okay, sharpie in the writing made no difference. I was able to read the size by using my Bernina magnifying glass that fastens on my machine. I usually only replace a needle if I break one so I guess I'll just have to make sure to leave them in the little case or stick them through a piece of paper into my pin cushion. You'd think needle manufacturers would realize that the numbers are too tiny, wouldn't you?