Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Needles????

I like to use Organ titanium needles. They are sharp and strong and last about 5 times longer.

I am going to try Organ titaniums on my long arm too.

Gloria

Titanium needles only have a very thin layer of titanium on the outside of the needle. If they break, they do no more or less damage than a regular needle would.
    http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...coated-needles This explains it better than I can. I use and love titanium needles. Some of them have broken in my machine for the same reason a regular needle would with no harm done to the workings of the bobbin or the shaft.

I usually break them before they get dull LOL. My "trick" is forgetting to change the presser foot when switching to zig zag and - ooops broken needle. Or going too fast and hitting a pin.

I use the titanium needles from Superior. I had signed up for the Quilters Daily Deal and was able to purchase them at 1/2 price. So I stocked up. You can usually "hear" the needle telling you to "change me". It's the pop,pop,pop, sound.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by the casual quilter
    My repair guy told me to change my needle when I hear the needle make a soft "pup" sound as it stitches. He says that is when the needle is getting dull.
    THATS EXACTLY WHAT I DO ALSO.

My problem isn't so much not changing often enough, or not changing when doing something completely different (ie paper piecing vs piecing batiks), my problem is that I sew so infrequently and don't necessarily finish project A and launch into project B in the same day - so by the time I go back into the sewing room I forget what needle is in the machine. Some (all?) needles have markings on the shank that tell you what they are, but my husband took my mag glass to his shop so I'll be darned if I can see what the markings are! So I don't know where to put it back into my needle collection! I need a good "habit" ...perhaps taping the needle case to the top of the machine so I know which needle is in there or something like that. Of course that will only help when I pull a needle from a case of all like needles - I think I still have a pkg of "mixed" that is my main problem. I won't be buying mixed size pkgs anymore.

As for changing needles ... If I keep the same needle in the machine from start to finish through a project I'll change it at the end of the project. Otherwise I'll leave it in until I have a failure of some kind (ie the pop or thwack it makes when it hits the fabric, or thread breakage not caused by other means).

Currently I use Schmetz and I have some Klasse. Might give those organ titanium's a try the next time I need needles. I just bought 7 pkgs various sizes/types (Schmetz) on an amazing sale (70% off with my completed thread card and the purchase of 10 additional spools of thread!!).

Thank you - I bookmarked them. Be ordering soon!

I try to change my needle with each new project----notice I said "try"!

Blog Entries
    probably not as often as I should. I do change it with every project.

Quote Originally Posted by the casual quilter
    My repair guy told me to change my needle when I hear the needle make a soft "pup" sound as it stitches. He says that is when the needle is getting dull.
    I have gotten the same answer from several repair / service men over the years. :lol:

Blog Entries
    maybe the old machines were not so fussy but I have 2 very expensive machines and was told when I bought them to change the needle after every 8 hours of sewing or each new project or when starts a thumping noise as a dull needle can cause damage to the bobbin casing and is very expensive for a new one I try to buy my needles at Joanns with a coupn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    my husband took my mag glass to his shop so I'll be darned if I can see what the markings are! I just bought 7 pkgs various sizes/types (Schmetz) on an amazing sale (70% off .

Buy more magnifying glasses! I have about six around the house. We use them all the time. The cable guy even borrowed one when he was behind the tv to read the tv markings. You got a great deal on the needles!

I used to let it go until the needle broke, but have learned that if I change after each large project, my machine seems to run smoother, and at least quieter

I start a new quilt with a new needle. Schmetz #14 Quilting or Universal. Quilting seems to punch through the fabric easier than Universal.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    the machine manual for my machine says needles should be changed either with every new project or after 8 hours of sewing- which ever comes first.
    i change mine maybe not quite that often but often enough-
    if you do not change your needle you (can) start having all kinds of little problems- that go away with a new needle
    I learned this with my new machine. Also cleaning out the lint in the bobbin area. Take the plate off and clean it out. It is worth the time in smooth sewing.

I probably don't change my needle as often as I should, but do try to change it with the beginning of each new quilt or the equivalent, i.e. about 15 blocks. I use Schmetz needles that I almost always buy when JoAnnes has its Notions Wall at 60% off. Mostly I use topstitching needles size 80 as they have a nice BIG eye that I can see to thread!!! LOL

When I start a new project usually

They have a pin cushion from nancy's notions for separating needles if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    They have a pin cushion from nancy's notions for separating needles if that helps
    My problem has always been remembering what's in the machine. So I got a craft box at JoAnn's that has compartments just the right size to hold needle packages. I put one size in each compartment and I put a button in the compartment of the size needle that's in the machine.

I'm extremely lucky to live near so many LQS's. I actually buy most of my needles in boxes of 100. I usually use a coupon to get them. So since they don't cost much I change mine fairly often.

I have a marked pincushion for my needles. I used a Sharpie and marked the various sizes I use and divided the whole pincushion so I can find my still good needles and know what size they are. I put in a flower head pin in the section fo the pincushion to let me know what I have in my machine. Since, I too often change between different projects and they may each be using different needles.

It works. It is cost effective. It is fun.

ali

ali

Quote Originally Posted by Susie Quilter
    I am not a good one to ask on this question....I normally change my needle when I break it and that is not good.
    You have been in my sewing room and seen me sewing

Really you should be changing needles every 4 to 6 hours of sewing. Look at it this way.. it is the only disposable part of your machine, yet we depend on the needle to help us get the perfect stitch. Also, you should take the bobbin out and clean the whole underneath every 8 hours and put a drop of oil in the proper place in the bobbin area, if your machine requires that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Since I found http://www.discountembroiderysupply.com/ and can buy needles reasonably priced I change mine pretty regular. I generally use the quilting needles for piecing and the topstitching for quilting. I use the 80/12 the most for piecing and the 90/14 or bigger for quilting since I use a heavier thread. For raw edge applique with invisible thread I use the 60/8s. They're fairly fine and don't seem to fray the edge as bad.

I'm trying to use up most of the universal needles I have so I can use all quilting or topstitch needles.
    I've been using discountembroiderysupply.com for years. Have you used their LAM needles? Just curious if they are as good as their regular needles.

Me tooo
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Quilter
    I am not a good one to ask on this question....I normally change my needle when I break it and that is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Since I found http://www.discountembroiderysupply.com/ and can buy needles reasonably priced I change mine pretty regular. I generally use the quilting needles for piecing and the topstitching for quilting. I use the 80/12 the most for piecing and the 90/14 or bigger for quilting since I use a heavier thread. For raw edge applique with invisible thread I use the 60/8s. They're fairly fine and don't seem to fray the edge as bad.

I'm trying to use up most of the universal needles I have so I can use all quilting or topstitch needles.
    I've been using discountembroiderysupply.com for years. Have you used their LAM needles? Just curious if they are as good as their regular needles.
    I haven't tried those. I almost always get the Organ titanium.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast