Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Needles????

How often do you change your needles? What size do you use for piecing? Machine quilting?

I am not a good one to ask on this question....I normally change my needle when I break it and that is not good.

Banned
    the companies say after each 8 hrs or so of sewing. Then there are some of us who change them when they no longer punch a hole in the fabric or need to change because of different kind of thread.
    So the answers are usually from:

Here-----------------------------to--------------Here

Blog Entries
    I know that I should change them a lot more often, but I admit to not doing it.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who waits until the needle breaks.

I used to change only RARELY. Now I change much more often, when I hear a thwacking sound at the needle. Only having whisper a quiet machine allowed me to learn this. If you don't like to change often, try Superior Threads' titanium needles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Quilter
    I am not a good one to ask on this question....I normally change my needle when I break it and that is not good.
    Same here! They sew just as well. I do the same with my embroidery machine and no problems.

after about 8 to 10 hours of sewing.

Even though I know I should change more often - Only when they break!!!

Banned
    I change mine about every 8 hour of sewing. I piece with Schmetz 75/11 quilting needles. Since I have a longarm, I most typically use a size 3.5 on it. I change my longarm needles with every quilt.

Blog Entries
    the machine manual for my machine says needles should be changed either with every new project or after 8 hours of sewing- which ever comes first.
    i change mine maybe not quite that often but often enough-
    if you do not change your needle you (can) start having all kinds of little problems- that go away with a new needle

Please don't use titanium needles. Sometimes when a needle breaks its because something is wron with the machine.. bobbin threaded wrong or in wrong, top thread not pulled through tension disks or threaded wron, a bent shaft, etc. If you use the titanium needle that doesn't break, you run the risk of doing much greater damage to your machine. The needle breaking can also be a safety feature on your machine's internal workings.

Banned
    My repair guy told me to change my needle when I hear the needle make a soft "pup" sound as it stitches. He says that is when the needle is getting dull.

Since I found http://www.discountembroiderysupply.com/ and can buy needles reasonably priced I change mine pretty regular. I generally use the quilting needles for piecing and the topstitching for quilting. I use the 80/12 the most for piecing and the 90/14 or bigger for quilting since I use a heavier thread. For raw edge applique with invisible thread I use the 60/8s. They're fairly fine and don't seem to fray the edge as bad.

I'm trying to use up most of the universal needles I have so I can use all quilting or topstitch needles.

I'm supposed to change the needles?????? LOL! I know I need to do it more often, too. I'm glad you asked this question so I maybe will think about it more often.

I change needle sizes quite frequently, now how often I discard fabric is a whole different story. I am guilty of keeping my needles way too long, but I do the same with my rotary blades so I am at least consistant!

I change needles when they break, are causing skipped stitches or the thread keeps breaking because of a burr on the tip. I save all of the stubs and ones that don't sew very well in a bar of soap and use them as nails to hang pictures.

Blog Entries
    I started using the Organ Titanium coated needles and they stay sharp, outlasting a package of the regular needles. I won't use any other now. I get them here:

http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...s/description/

It should be more often, but definitely when it starts the popping sound...
    I buy the Organ needles as well.
    Usually use a topstitch needle, which is the same as a metalfil needle. I use 100/16 for the bowls that I make such as in my avatar, 90/14 for the quilting,60/8 for heirloom type stuff.

I change them frequently. Usually after a big project such as quilting a quilt etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TJDesigns
    How often do you change your needles? What size do you use for piecing? Machine quilting?
    My favorite is Schmetz top stitch needles I use for embroidery /sewing.
    Changing your needle is important.
    Change your needle and listen to the sound of your machine and look at the stitch quality it makes a big difference.

I do a lot of pp so use a Microtex 80/12 for piecing. Depending on the thread for fmq it changes, but usually I'll use a Topstitching needle 90/14.

I change my needle if I use different fabric, such as flannel or denim, I don't change the needle as often when I just use cotton fabrics. I have gone to using the titanium needles and REALLY like those.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TJDesigns
    change it when you feel the need! at least after every large project! if paper piecing change it more often..

here is a link to a topic I posted on the subject of needles! In it is a link that will help you learn more about them!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-123199-1.htm

Was surfing last nite & found http://genertions-quilt-patterns.com

with some really good info. I printed it off for a quick & easy reference. I have no affiliation w/them but thought the info was clear & concise.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast