Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needles???? >

Needles????

Needles????

Old 06-10-2011, 11:57 AM

I probably don't change my needle as often as I should, but do try to change it with the beginning of each new quilt or the equivalent, i.e. about 15 blocks. I use Schmetz needles that I almost always buy when JoAnnes has its Notions Wall at 60% off. Mostly I use topstitching needles size 80 as they have a nice BIG eye that I can see to thread!!! LOL
Old 06-10-2011, 02:48 PM

When I start a new project usually
Old 06-10-2011, 02:50 PM

They have a pin cushion from nancy's notions for separating needles if that helps
Old 06-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
They have a pin cushion from nancy's notions for separating needles if that helps
My problem has always been remembering what's in the machine. So I got a craft box at JoAnn's that has compartments just the right size to hold needle packages. I put one size in each compartment and I put a button in the compartment of the size needle that's in the machine.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:13 PM

I'm extremely lucky to live near so many LQS's. I actually buy most of my needles in boxes of 100. I usually use a coupon to get them. So since they don't cost much I change mine fairly often.

I have a marked pincushion for my needles. I used a Sharpie and marked the various sizes I use and divided the whole pincushion so I can find my still good needles and know what size they are. I put in a flower head pin in the section fo the pincushion to let me know what I have in my machine. Since, I too often change between different projects and they may each be using different needles.

It works. It is cost effective. It is fun.

ali

ali
Old 06-10-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Susie Quilter
I am not a good one to ask on this question....I normally change my needle when I break it and that is not good.
You have been in my sewing room and seen me sewing
Old 06-10-2011, 04:39 PM

Really you should be changing needles every 4 to 6 hours of sewing. Look at it this way.. it is the only disposable part of your machine, yet we depend on the needle to help us get the perfect stitch. Also, you should take the bobbin out and clean the whole underneath every 8 hours and put a drop of oil in the proper place in the bobbin area, if your machine requires that.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Since I found http://www.discountembroiderysupply.com/ and can buy needles reasonably priced I change mine pretty regular. I generally use the quilting needles for piecing and the topstitching for quilting. I use the 80/12 the most for piecing and the 90/14 or bigger for quilting since I use a heavier thread. For raw edge applique with invisible thread I use the 60/8s. They're fairly fine and don't seem to fray the edge as bad.

I'm trying to use up most of the universal needles I have so I can use all quilting or topstitch needles.
I've been using discountembroiderysupply.com for years. Have you used their LAM needles? Just curious if they are as good as their regular needles.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:16 PM

Me tooo
Originally Posted by Susie Quilter
I am not a good one to ask on this question....I normally change my needle when I break it and that is not good.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Since I found http://www.discountembroiderysupply.com/ and can buy needles reasonably priced I change mine pretty regular. I generally use the quilting needles for piecing and the topstitching for quilting. I use the 80/12 the most for piecing and the 90/14 or bigger for quilting since I use a heavier thread. For raw edge applique with invisible thread I use the 60/8s. They're fairly fine and don't seem to fray the edge as bad.

I'm trying to use up most of the universal needles I have so I can use all quilting or topstitch needles.
I've been using discountembroiderysupply.com for years. Have you used their LAM needles? Just curious if they are as good as their regular needles.
I haven't tried those. I almost always get the Organ titanium.