Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: THE NERVE!!! (Kind of long)

God for you. If more people would be honest in situations like yours, maybe people would provide better instructions when they were asking for something.

Good for you! So many people don't have a clue as to the time and work involved in making a quilt. Reminds me of my boss. I work for a newspaper. She seldom looks at anything until it's on a page and the final proof comes out. We all cringe when we hear the dreaded "OH NO!" We just can't get her to understand that sometimes adding just one word can throw the whole thing off once the page has been finished.

hand the guy a needle and tell him he is perfectly capable of doing it himself

No doesn't seem to work with some people....This is my favourite when my kids/friends/whoever is asking for something outrageous or impossible "UN....LUCKY!". Then smile and walk away!

Blog Entries
    I would have bent over backwards explaining the details to him and then I would have given in and said "I'll see what I can do". Can you tell I have a problem saying "NO"!! And a major people pleaser...but I'm getting better!!

Quote Originally Posted by caliquocat
    One of my DH's & my favorite sayings; ..... "and they walk among us".

Love this one.....plus they vote also. :wink:

Blog Entries
    Sounds like the whole process was nervy on lots of folks parts. The man should abe grateful that you few are doing it. The few who made the decision should have had to do something, and the lady who did not give you enough fabric should have gone out to find more. Honey, you did your part. As another Kentucky girl...... you gotter done! and that is what it is all about. Good for you and the other few "sewers".

Most people don't get it until they try it. Also, just because 2 people made the choice to do the project, are they dictators? If no one volunteers, they'll think twice next time.

I might have told him ..Sure. You come and sit with us while we spend 80 hours redoing it. Rejoice in your good heart and forgive others.

Blog Entries
    Sorry this has turned into such a major chore and the fun has been taken out of it for you. Non-quilters donít have a clue as to what is involved in putting a quilt together. They think they just pop out of sewing machines finished in 5 minutes. I would have told him that a lot of time has already been put into the quilt and that part is already finished. He may very well like what youíve done better than his idea. At any rate itís too late to change now. People canít really understand unless they have done it themselves. This is an opportunity for you to educate a non-quilter about how much time, thought and work goes into a quilt. Iíd let him know to how many hours have already been devoted to the quilt. He will most likely be shocked and truly appreciate this quilt and all quilts more.

Blog Entries
    Believe it or not some people weren't raised in a quilting enviroment A very sad thing -so they know not what the heck their asking ,one must show pity for these deprived people :-(

One more affirmation that "if you don't do it, you haven't a clue".

Power Poster
    I swear people don't think. Next time (let there not be a next time) but if there is, ask them if this is a final decision and tell them they can't change there mind.

Blog Entries
    When you give him the quilt
    PLEASE ENCLUDE THE ESTIMATED TOTAL HOURS TO MAKE THIS QUILT.

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    I'm sure your group did a good job so give it to them as is and if they want to change it they will do it themselves. You did your part. On to the next project......lol.

A BIG NO!!!!! IF THEY DON'T LIKE IT, THEN DONATE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE LIKE A LIBRARY OR FIREHOUSE TO RAFFLE. AND DON'T GET HOODWINKED AGAIN.

You are correct to be frustrated, annoyed and/angry. Some people have Nerve, I would tell this group that this would be a difficult job and that perhaps the next time they give you ALL the instructions BEFORE the quilt is done!

BTW: it is OK to vent!

TreeFrog

Zoe
    This is why I never do quilts for friends. Misunderstanding of the work and time involved in creating a quilt by many people leads to hurt feelings. Those who've never stitched a quilt or any other type of handwork can make unreasonable demands too.

A close friend wants me to make a quilt for her, but she has such unrealistic expectations that I've deftly maneuvered away from doing the quilt. She wanted 24-inch blocks, twenty-four of them! She wanted hand applique, etc., etc. I finally said "my dear you're going to have to pay someone to meet your demands and do this quilt. To which my friend replied "I'm not paying for this"!

That's right she wanted all this for free. At which point we no longer discuss quilts or their creation. :roll:

He's ignorant of the process......comes from a generation of "cut-paste-save" people. They have no idea of the OLD way of doing things. LOL

Blog Entries
    yep, no way......people are crazy.....want everything...

Aw, I would be frustrated too!

Quote Originally Posted by rexie
    Well, our ladies group was asked to make a quilt to be raffled off by a fund raiser. The 'group' did not get to vote on it, but the decision was made that we would make this quilt by two people that don't even sew. O.K. we jumped in, in spite of everything else that we have going on in our lives and got the fabric together. I donated some, others donated some. Then I cut it out. Seems I am the only one with a rotary cutter in the group. Another lady sewed it up but she could figure out the borders, so I cut out the borders, sewed them up and ran out of fabric. She told me where she bought it so I went and got some more, but it didn't match, so I "unsewed" all the borders and made them again. So 4 of us have been quilting every day and we were on the last stitches, when the man that asked us to do this called and asked if we could change the center block. This block has initials in it of a local university, but no one told us how they wanted it, just that they wanted it. Now, keep in mind that the entire quilt has been hand quilted and we were right smack dab in the middle and almost finished. I said absolutely not and everyone agreed with me. Can you imagine??? Sorry I vented so much, but evidently they just don't realize the time and effort that goes into a quilt.
    I can't even imagine anyone being so inconsiderate! Hope his inner ears are burning!

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    That is some nerve. But, like you said, people just don't realize. I've heard over and over again this phrase "It's just sewing". That one really chaps my tail.
    I would just smile and say, "But so much love went into it," and leave it at that. They truly don't understand the time and talent it takes but then we all don't understand the time and talent that go into projects we don't do either, so just let it pass. To do anything else is just to stress yourself.

WOW! I wouldn't change it either. Sorry Charlie-you missed the boat on this one!!

Quote Originally Posted by rexie
    Well, our ladies group was asked to make a quilt to be raffled off by a fund raiser. The 'group' did not get to vote on it, but the decision was made that we would make this quilt by two people that don't even sew. O.K. we jumped in, in spite of everything else that we have going on in our lives and got the fabric together. I donated some, others donated some. Then I cut it out. Seems I am the only one with a rotary cutter in the group. Another lady sewed it up but she could figure out the borders, so I cut out the borders, sewed them up and ran out of fabric. She told me where she bought it so I went and got some more, but it didn't match, so I "unsewed" all the borders and made them again. So 4 of us have been quilting every day and we were on the last stitches, when the man that asked us to do this called and asked if we could change the center block. This block has initials in it of a local university, but no one told us how they wanted it, just that they wanted it. Now, keep in mind that the entire quilt has been hand quilted and we were right smack dab in the middle and almost finished. I said absolutely not and everyone agreed with me. Can you imagine??? Sorry I vented so much, but evidently they just don't realize the time and effort that goes into a quilt.

jme
    some people just don't understand the process and how much time/work goes into a quilt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast