Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: THE NERVE!!! (Kind of long)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe
    This is why I never do quilts for friends. Misunderstanding of the work and time involved in creating a quilt by many people leads to hurt feelings. Those who've never stitched a quilt or any other type of handwork can make unreasonable demands too.

A close friend wants me to make a quilt for her, but she has such unrealistic expectations that I've deftly maneuvered away from doing the quilt. She wanted 24-inch blocks, twenty-four of them! She wanted hand applique, etc., etc. I finally said "my dear you're going to have to pay someone to meet your demands and do this quilt. To which my friend replied "I'm not paying for this"!

That's right she wanted all this for free. At which point we no longer discuss quilts or their creation. :roll:
    Close friend??

24 each of 24" blocks?

What the hell did she intend to cover? The car?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    um, just say no.
    yeah. What she said.

Blog Entries
    People who don't sew or quilt have no idea what is involved w/making a quilt in terms of time or cost of fabric. I think they think you can buy a ready made (usually poor quality) quilt for less than $100 so they seem to think that the cost would be less than that and that our time is worthless. Just my 2 cents.

I have another good one for you. My sister and I were talking last year about Christmas presents. I told her with everyone running short on money and no one needing anything why don't we just celebrate what Christmas is all about this year and not do presents. Her response (and you will love this) "If you're short on money why don't you just make a quilt for each one of my girls?" How clueless is that? I could buy them one of the top of the line ipods for what a quilt would cost and I wouldn't spend weeks on it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ambquilter
    I have another good one for you. My sister and I were talking last year about Christmas presents. I told her with everyone running short on money and no one needing anything why don't we just celebrate what Christmas is all about this year and not do presents. Her response (and you will love this) "If you're short on money why don't you just make a quilt for each one of my girls?" How clueless is that? I could buy them one of the top of the line ipods for what a quilt would cost and I wouldn't spend weeks on it.
    And you wouldn't have to worry about if they liked the colors and pattern you picked. Some (most) people just don't get it.

I think I would have given him a hysterical laugh and a firm NO!

Sounds like from the beginning this was poorly coordinated. They had an idea, but, did not put forth any effort. The few of you ladies stepped in and came up with the fabric and the time to make there idea become a reality. If it was not for the 4 of you, I am sure that either this quilt would end up a disaster or it would never have gotten made. Then this gentleman calls just around the time that your finishing up. He has on heck of a nerve to want to make a change. I classify him as an idiot. I would have stopped where you were and given it to him and told him he could find someone to rip it all out and do it over good luck, we have put a lot of our hours and love into this, but, were not taking it apart! Good for you that you told him no!! You have stepped up and have done what you planned. I would not volunteer for them again, unless they have a plan, and it's set, but, for now, I would not volunteer for some time

i would be certain that there was a label with proper attribution on it: "hand made by---- and -----: 1,000,000 (actual total hours of work) hours of hand work done with love and care for (insert group's name here)", and put the dates it was worked on.

whoever ultimately acquires this should know, even if the powers that be are too ignorant to give credence to the work in it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    This is why I never do quilts for friends. Misunderstanding of the work and time involved in creating a quilt by many people leads to hurt feelings. Those who've never stitched a quilt or any other type of handwork can make unreasonable demands too.

A close friend wants me to make a quilt for her, but she has such unrealistic expectations that I've deftly maneuvered away from doing the quilt. She wanted 24-inch blocks, twenty-four of them! She wanted hand applique, etc., etc. I finally said "my dear you're going to have to pay someone to meet your demands and do this quilt. To which my friend replied "I'm not paying for this"!

That's right she wanted all this for free. At which point we no longer discuss quilts or their creation. :roll:
    Close friend??

24 each of 24" blocks?

What the hell did she intend to cover? The car?
    Rofl - the car! That was a great reply :)

My goodness! I didn't think anything would surprise me after my experience, but to have someone tell you that they are not going to pay for it?

Ignorance is no excuse.....it is just plain RUDE.

This is why I never do quilts for friends. Misunderstanding of the work and time involved in creating a quilt by many people leads to hurt feelings. ..... To which my friend replied "I'm not paying for this"!

It amazing what people think. I make a lot of quilts for charity, get a lot of fabric from the group to make these quilts. It's not my fabric, it fabric that was given for the express purpose to make quilts for this organization.

A friend visited me and wanted me to make quilts for her family, "but you have all this fabric...why won't you make one for me?" I explain the charity aspect and then I get "good, they won't notice if you make something for me" I explained they go to sick children at the hospital. "Well, my daughter is sick,"

Finally I told her that once she is in the hospital for weeks on end fighting for her life, then she'll get a quilt. Funny, but my friend was offended. Please running a fever is not the same as cancer. Honestly, it's amazing the lack of integrity some people have. I told her to buy the fabric and I'd show her how to make something. She said, "why would I do that? why can't I just use yours?" :shock:

Vent on...We are all learning these lessons evey day. The gall of some people simply amazes me.

Blog Entries
    Something to keep in mind it this comes up again.

Have the person who wants the quilt submit a diagram and sign off on the design before you start. Initials or signature and date at the least, or even a signed agreement stating terms.

Just a thought.

I wouldn't let them make me cry. I would just chalk it up to someone who had no clue of all the work went into it, and I applaude you for saying "Absoultly not!".

Did the gentleman know you were almost done before making his request?

Yes, he did. While we were waiting for the last few stitches to go in so we could take it off the racks, he called. One of the ladies told him we were just about done and that's when he asked if we could redo that center. The lady talking to him was also clueless, cause she actually asked us if we could.

That is really too bad. this could have been a wonderful thing if it had been co-ordinated better.

The him "Yes, we can change the center block"... "You will have to disassemble the quilt for us..."

Things should not be coordinated by people that don't know anything about the project. I don't know if they learned a lesson or not...Probably did until next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional
    When you give him the quilt
    PLEASE ENCLUDE THE ESTIMATED TOTAL HOURS TO MAKE THIS QUILT.
    I agree with this especially if they are auctioning off the quilt, it could be added somewhere in the description of the quilt and the group could raise more money, hopefully, there are alot of none sewers and clueless people out there. You did good and I am sorry when you try to do good and someone comes along and seems to spoil that good feeling.

Blog Entries
    I think I would finish the quilt. Take it to them. Explain the process and how far along you were into it when he called. And, say,"here it is".

I too would have been under the table having a fit.

GOOD FOR YOU FOR SPEAKING UP AND SAYING NO!!!!!!

Stick to your decision and the person that said, bring it to the person and let them find someone to redo it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast