Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
THE NERVE!!! (Kind of long) >

THE NERVE!!! (Kind of long)

THE NERVE!!! (Kind of long)

Old 03-29-2011, 05:27 AM

A BIG NO!!!!! IF THEY DON'T LIKE IT, THEN DONATE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE LIKE A LIBRARY OR FIREHOUSE TO RAFFLE. AND DON'T GET HOODWINKED AGAIN.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:34 AM

You are correct to be frustrated, annoyed and/angry. Some people have Nerve, I would tell this group that this would be a difficult job and that perhaps the next time they give you ALL the instructions BEFORE the quilt is done!

BTW: it is OK to vent!

TreeFrog
Old 03-29-2011, 05:36 AM
Zoe

This is why I never do quilts for friends. Misunderstanding of the work and time involved in creating a quilt by many people leads to hurt feelings. Those who've never stitched a quilt or any other type of handwork can make unreasonable demands too.

A close friend wants me to make a quilt for her, but she has such unrealistic expectations that I've deftly maneuvered away from doing the quilt. She wanted 24-inch blocks, twenty-four of them! She wanted hand applique, etc., etc. I finally said "my dear you're going to have to pay someone to meet your demands and do this quilt. To which my friend replied "I'm not paying for this"!

That's right she wanted all this for free. At which point we no longer discuss quilts or their creation. :roll:
Old 03-29-2011, 05:37 AM

He's ignorant of the process......comes from a generation of "cut-paste-save" people. They have no idea of the OLD way of doing things. LOL
Old 03-29-2011, 05:50 AM

yep, no way......people are crazy.....want everything...
Old 03-29-2011, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

Aw, I would be frustrated too!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by rexie
Well, our ladies group was asked to make a quilt to be raffled off by a fund raiser. The 'group' did not get to vote on it, but the decision was made that we would make this quilt by two people that don't even sew. O.K. we jumped in, in spite of everything else that we have going on in our lives and got the fabric together. I donated some, others donated some. Then I cut it out. Seems I am the only one with a rotary cutter in the group. Another lady sewed it up but she could figure out the borders, so I cut out the borders, sewed them up and ran out of fabric. She told me where she bought it so I went and got some more, but it didn't match, so I "unsewed" all the borders and made them again. So 4 of us have been quilting every day and we were on the last stitches, when the man that asked us to do this called and asked if we could change the center block. This block has initials in it of a local university, but no one told us how they wanted it, just that they wanted it. Now, keep in mind that the entire quilt has been hand quilted and we were right smack dab in the middle and almost finished. I said absolutely not and everyone agreed with me. Can you imagine??? Sorry I vented so much, but evidently they just don't realize the time and effort that goes into a quilt.
I can't even imagine anyone being so inconsiderate! Hope his inner ears are burning!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
That is some nerve. But, like you said, people just don't realize. I've heard over and over again this phrase "It's just sewing". That one really chaps my tail.
I would just smile and say, "But so much love went into it," and leave it at that. They truly don't understand the time and talent it takes but then we all don't understand the time and talent that go into projects we don't do either, so just let it pass. To do anything else is just to stress yourself.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:03 AM

WOW! I wouldn't change it either. Sorry Charlie-you missed the boat on this one!!

Originally Posted by rexie
Well, our ladies group was asked to make a quilt to be raffled off by a fund raiser. The 'group' did not get to vote on it, but the decision was made that we would make this quilt by two people that don't even sew. O.K. we jumped in, in spite of everything else that we have going on in our lives and got the fabric together. I donated some, others donated some. Then I cut it out. Seems I am the only one with a rotary cutter in the group. Another lady sewed it up but she could figure out the borders, so I cut out the borders, sewed them up and ran out of fabric. She told me where she bought it so I went and got some more, but it didn't match, so I "unsewed" all the borders and made them again. So 4 of us have been quilting every day and we were on the last stitches, when the man that asked us to do this called and asked if we could change the center block. This block has initials in it of a local university, but no one told us how they wanted it, just that they wanted it. Now, keep in mind that the entire quilt has been hand quilted and we were right smack dab in the middle and almost finished. I said absolutely not and everyone agreed with me. Can you imagine??? Sorry I vented so much, but evidently they just don't realize the time and effort that goes into a quilt.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:04 AM
jme

some people just don't understand the process and how much time/work goes into a quilt.