Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Nervous about Quilt Show >

Nervous about Quilt Show

Nervous about Quilt Show

Old 09-19-2017, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I have only entered one show in my life. I was afraid they would be stolen. Could not wait for it to be over.
Boston, all you have to do is inquire about the security that will be in place. If you don't like it, don't send your quilt. This is what I do.
When my guild has a show, we provide security to fill in the gaps where there is no security at the venue. Once we had our show in a firehall where every fireman had a key to get in (so they could access the bar room 24/7) so several of us actually slept on the floor in between the quilts each night, in sleeping bags on top of air mattresses. One fireman did wander into the quilt room in the middle of the night the first night, just nosing around. I don't know who was more startled, him or the ladies.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:11 PM

I consider quilt shows just big Show and Tells. The first time I entered, I put my quilts in the Not to be Judged category, since there really isn't a competitive bone in my body. I entered 3 quilts. When I walked around and looked at all of the other quilts, I realized that mine were as good as many of the quilts and that my quilts deserved to be in a judged category. They actually felt left out. That was 6 years ago and I had just learned to quilt. I have entered my quilts in judged categories since then, in the "quilted on a domestic" category, because I quilt my own. I had been told that SITD wouldn't ever win a ribbon. Didn't matter, I just entered anyway. Surprise, I have won ribbons. Last year I won 5. The time before, I won 3.

We have a show this weekend. I really don't expect to win any this year. But ya never know. My 7 quilts will be happy just hanging with the 138 others that have been entered. (Obviously, our show isn't huge, but it still is fun.)

My message I guess is to try not to be nervous. Just have fun.

Dina
Old 09-20-2017, 02:14 AM

[QUOTE=Dina;7909581]I consider quilt shows just big Show and Tells. .. try not to be nervous. Just have fun.QUOTE]

I totally agree. Think about who will be there - other quilts who are looking for inspiration and their families. They will consider you quite brave for entering at all!
Old 09-20-2017, 03:49 AM

Enjoy your show. It's quite a joy to see your own quilt hanging and being admired. I join our show to participate and sometimes, I actually win a ribbon. Don't worry about judges comments. The judges we have usually say something nice then something helpful. Sometimes they are really generic like to trim threads or STID needs to stay in the ditch.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:27 AM

Jump in and enjoy!
Old 09-20-2017, 04:33 AM

Entering a quilt show should be fun. I look at it as a learning experience. Good judges give a good comment or two, then a comment on how it might be improved. Even if I know that one block was wonky, that's something they can say in the comments.
And what one judge says should be changed, the next judge will say that is the best feature on your quilt!
So let it all go and just enjoy looking at everyone's quilt and they will have fun looking at your's
Old 09-20-2017, 05:09 AM

Not to worry, you will see quilts in the show done by members all with different levels of workmanship. I know, I've run a quilt show for over 20 years. Your quilt will be fine, no one is going to rip you apart or judge you. The show is just a place to display the work that we have done. Be proud of your work!
Old 09-20-2017, 07:01 AM

I find it inspiring and exciting that you entered into the show. You are already a winner just by doing it! Congratulations!!!!
Old 09-20-2017, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I understand your nervousness but am happy that you entered. Good luck!
Good luck!
I have only entered two quilt shows. It was an adventure for sure because I was the odd ball out with small quilts using reproduction fabrics hand pieced and hand quilted to begin with. I am a big, big fan of Kathy Tracy.
You have to have a thick skin or be a little hard of hearing because of the rude comments from others who fancy themselves to be experts but probably don't have a quilt in the show. I wasn't prepared for it the first time. The second time was a little easier. I plan to enter again because I've learned something new each time. I think it will always make me nervous though.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:01 AM

Claire, thanks for starting this topic. I think it is common for quilters to worry the first time they enter. It gets easier. I believe we quilt to express part of ourselves. We have a creative spark - yes even if we don't think we are creative and it is fun to share. Congratulations on entering.