Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Nervous, high anxiety to start on my first quilt by myself...... >

Nervous, high anxiety to start on my first quilt by myself......

Nervous, high anxiety to start on my first quilt by myself......

Old 09-10-2012, 03:09 PM

Funny thing is--we all forget that it is "just fabric". Your mortgage is NOT on the line--just your pride!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:16 PM

I just pieced my first quilt together...and my blocks didn't line up and I have a 'gap' between the block and border in one section. But it's mine...and I love it regardless. I'm proud of my first quilt...done with no instruction other than watching you tube videos. Regardless of how it comes out, you should be proud.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by rusty quilter View Post
Funny thing is--we all forget that it is "just fabric". Your mortgage is NOT on the line--just your pride!
Amen!! Also, keep asking yourself:
What is the worst thing that can happen?
And IF that worst thing happens, what then?
And then, what then?
and....so????? It's not a crisis, it's an opportunity.
Can I save the fabric I mis-cut and use it later when I am more experienced?
If I have a question, is there someone I can ask?
Can I look it up online?
What if that doesn't work?? What then?
And then, what then?
Will chocolate and a kiddie hug help my mood?
What then?

Always remember there is a way out of your 'worst case scenario'. You are a beginner. That means you do NOT 'know everything' yet; mistakes are often the very best way to learn. If you already knew all about quilting, you wouldn't be asking here, so accept your limitations and realize that mistakes, and therefore the learning/design/new-way-to-do-it opportunities, are the best part!!

You'll be fine; JUST DO IT!

Jan in VA
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 PM

Where do you live? Maybe there is a board member close to you, and he or she could help you. If you were close to me, I could help.
Just be sure you put a cutting mat down on the table before you cut your fabric. If you cut it wrong, you can always buy more. Take time to think of what your doing, and you will do it fine. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:49 AM

perhaps having the kiddies around makes you a little nervous. maybe you could quilt when they are asleep for the night or taking a nap. but, then again, maybe that is when you need to sleep in order to keep up with them while they are awake. you will find your time and your rhythm.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:51 AM

I haven't been quilting long and had never sewed before. That feeling of fear, mixed with exhilaration, is very fresh in my mind! I survived to go on and make more quilts and smaller projects, most of them better than the last.

As well as all the things I've learned along the way (and that learning curve has been steep, I can tell you), the most important thing I've learned is to relax and enjoy the process! You may make mistakes, but so what? It's how everyone learns. Anyway, it's not a 'mistake', it's a 'design opportunity'

If you get stuck, there's the internet, this board and probably your LQS where you did your class to help.

Good luck and be sure to post pictures when you're done.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:08 AM

Even tho I've been quilting for a while, I sometimes get the "is this going to be ok"? But then I figure if I screw up, it's a "design oppertunity" and it will work somewhere.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:15 AM
Power Poster

We don't know how "much" the original poster has invested in this.

For some people, $5 out of the budget is a major hit. For others, $500 isn't even noticed.

We also don't know where the fabrics were acquired - it can be awkward for some to ask questions at a/the LQS if the fabrics weren't purchased there.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
I have laid blocks out on a flannel sheet then rolled them up they stay pretty good ...might help you to not lose your place every time you pack up.
One could pin the pieces, too, for extra security, before rolling/folding up the sheet.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:29 AM

I'm sure the LQS where I bought my fabric will be happy to answer any questions. I'm going on Friday to buy a large cutting mat using a 50% off coupon from Michaels and I also have $5 discount as a Rewards member so a $50 mat will only cost me $20!! That's been my hold up so far this week. I'm going to press the fabric and get everything ready this week. I'm also a knitter and I'm knitting my first sweater as well. I have the left front of the sweater almost done. Both projects are firsts for me. I love learning new skills, so I am excited about starting my first quilt. I've had the pattern and the fabric for months now, just needed to take my first quilting class to know the basics. Now that I've done that, I think I'm ok to start.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

Last edited by Stitch124; 09-11-2012 at 05:31 AM.