Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing? >

Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing?

Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

I go to JoAnn's for specific items. They are getting too many seasonal things in the store and are no longer just a fabric store. I like to check out the clearance items. Browsing is fun, too!
If you've never been to one, you need to go check it out! But I feel that way about any/all fabric shops!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
Sorry but there isn't one close and I've just never had the need to go to JoAnn's. Is it crafts (like Michael's), is it fabric (like Hancock's)? Are the discounts better than anyone else's? Convince me I need to go.
You are not missing a thing. Unless you happen to get a 50% off and what something besides fabric. Like a notion of some kind, then you might find one that isn't already on sale.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:17 PM

Although I'm not a huge fan, I do shop there for their notions sales, occasionally books on sale, batting, Kona muslin.

We just had a new one open up here, with great excitement and fanfare. The old one was cramped, dirty and dingy. This one is well lit and spacious. Their grand opening specials, though, were nothing fabulous. I got a 5 pack of rotary blades with my 50% off coupon and that was it.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by sew_southern
We just got one last fall and I'm not impressed. It's like Michaels & Hancocks put together or a downsized version of Hobby Lobby. Ours doesn't have a good cotton selection, mostly fleece, flannel & decorative. We're in the southeast, why did they send all this fleece doing down here?? :lol:
There is a lot of fleece in the Phoenix stores too. I keep wondering why!
Old 06-07-2011, 01:46 PM

To me it's like a combination of Michael's and Hancock's.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:28 PM

I purchase all my fabric at JoAnn's. I find lately, since they were purchased by another company, that there is not as much stock as before. That may change in time. Also, the personnel is not friendly and there is a big turnover of the help. I might seem picky, but what annoys me at our store is the small number of wheeling baskets they have and the fact that most of them have so much thread caught in the wheels that they hardly roll. They do have good coupons and I try only to shop when I have one. I almost forgot, awhile back you could use your coupons on the magazines which was a great savings. Now they always have the magazines 10% off and you can't use the coupon.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
If you happen to be going near one for other reasons, you will probably want to check it out, but meanwhile you can go to their website http://www.joann.com/joann/home/home...opnavlink=true and see a pretty good sampling.

They have a lot of crafts, yarn, and some seasonal decor and organizing supplies, but also a pretty good selection of fabrics of all types. They are known for sending out excellent coupons, and you can get those by e-mail by signing up on the website. The coupons are good online, at least part of the time. I usually don't want to pay postage, but ordered yarn from them one time a couple of years ago and it came promptly.
they also do a lot of free shipping and 50% off on-line as well as in store shopping
Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 PM

I totally agree with your statement :)
Old 06-07-2011, 05:31 PM

Not missing a thing.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:41 PM

I been to clean and neat ones and then I've been to sloppy and disorganized ones. I prefer Hobby Lobby to Joanns.