Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing? >

Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing?

Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:24 AM

It is OK for notions, but fabric is not LQS quality. I am alway disappointed when I go there. They are pretty good for crafts, Michaels is better. It is hard to find someone to help you if you can't find what you are looking for.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 AM

I shop JoAnn's but am careful about the material I buy. I find that JoAnn's is beginning to stock more quality quilting materials at our stores. I buy most of my notions at JoAnn's using my coupons and saving $$$$. We are blessed with many area quilting stores, as well as JoAnn's, Hancocks, Michaels and Craft Warehouse in the area.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by sew_southern
We just got one last fall and I'm not impressed. It's like Michaels & Hancocks put together or a downsized version of Hobby Lobby. Ours doesn't have a good cotton selection, mostly fleece, flannel & decorative. We're in the southeast, why did they send all this fleece doing down here?? :lol:
Agree ! Our new store here opened this spring, it is a lot nicer than the old one and good staff ... BUT it also seems to have more FLEECE than quilt or sewing fabrics !? We barely get winter here in Houston, why all the fleece ?? Most of the decent quilt fabric is as high as LQS. The new store is maybe 1/3 fabrics and 2/3 other stuff. Lots of home & garden & plastic junk you can buy anywhere else. You'd think a new Superstore = More fabric choices ? No. Just more JUNK. Don't understand JoAnns marketing at all :roll:
Old 06-07-2011, 06:48 AM

You're not missing anything. JMHO
Old 06-07-2011, 06:57 AM

It varies so much from store to store, suggest you check it out once to see what "yours" is like.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Banned

you are NOT missing anything...stay home, save your gas for more fabric and shop online..much better quality and selections!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
Sorry but there isn't one close and I've just never had the need to go to JoAnn's. Is it crafts (like Michael's), is it fabric (like Hancock's)? Are the discounts better than anyone else's? Convince me I need to go.
I am not a big fan of JoAnn's. We don't have one here but did have in Austin. It was close to where I lived and I went there but I would as soon go to Walmart and I don't like WalMart either. We have a Hancock's and after this last fiasco with the bleeding fabric (my second experience with that) I am leery of Hancock's. I will have to drive about 35 miles to a quilt shop and I don't know how they are either, so I may just starting ordering from Connecting Threads. If anyone knows of any reason not to shop at Connecting Threads I would like to hear your opinions.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:15 AM

I also are not a fan of JoAnns....the store that is near me is too "jumbled" up...it is hard to find things...and the fabric is hard to look at...and the lines!!! I have found that my Hobby Lobby is so much easier to get to and so much easier to shop in..the fabric is very nice and coupons at 40% off is great for batting by the bolt...I have also received my first order from Common Threads and the fabric is beautiful and so good to sew with.. think I will stay with my two favorite places..
Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 AM

I like Joann's they have a little bit of everything, I know people here don't like the fabric, I do, but each of us has our own opinions. I think you could stop by if you see one, but personally you can find better on line and then you don't do the I'll buy that one too because it is already on the cutting table(for another customer). So I wouldn't think that you are missing out on the greatest fabric shop ever.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

it's like Hancock's fabrics. you're not missing anything. they do have coupons but usually have a sale for less percentage off than the coupon.