Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing? >

Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing?

Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing?

Old 06-06-2011, 05:27 AM

You are not missing a thing!
Old 06-06-2011, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Be sure to print some coupons, can get good deals with coupons there, some have more quilting fabrics and notions then ohters.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by sew_southern
We just got one last fall and I'm not impressed. It's like Michaels & Hancocks put together or a downsized version of Hobby Lobby. Ours doesn't have a good cotton selection, mostly fleece, flannel & decorative. We're in the southeast, why did they send all this fleece doing down here?? :lol:
I was told several years ago that the individual stores don't get to place orders for what they need. Everything is tracked through a centralized inventory system and each store receives a shipment of what they are running short of. This being said, you would think they could separate inventory needs by region. Payless Shoes is run the same way, they are shipped whatever corporate thinks they need.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:13 AM

I feel you have to be careful and know your prices. Things tend to be much more expensive just to give them a coupon for 40% off and then the item would be about the same price you'd pay else where. The books are 40% off with coupon but I can order them off the internet for about the same price with free shipping.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:18 AM

I really prefer Joann's fabric over Hancocks... having said that the one they put in my town is horrible. It is not a big store... the staff is just awful - I think only a handful actually do a craft of any kind - lots of guys in there too and not a single one seems to know the difference between a pair of scissors or hole punch....

I don't shop at LQS due to prices. I can't afford to pay double for a piece of fabric.

When I go to Joanns I just have to know what I want and not have to ask any questions... If I do, just ask a shopper instead lol. The staff is just worthless. I suspect that our store will fail within a year. It's a real shame.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:53 AM

Sorry, there is not much to go for in my state
Old 06-07-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i agree with the majority - its not worth a long drive.

its good for 50% coupons on bolts of batting
I recently got a Joann's 30 miles from me. I checked out their batting prices online, and it is more expensive than I pay ordering directly from the Warm company, even with a coupon! I guess I'll take a look in the store next week, but I'm prepared to be not impressed :|
Old 06-07-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
Sorry but there isn't one close and I've just never had the need to go to JoAnn's. Is it crafts (like Michael's), is it fabric (like Hancock's)? Are the discounts better than anyone else's? Convince me I need to go.
Judging from the varied responses, it is probably true that the personnel in some stores are friendlier and more helpful than in others. JoAnn's has some lovely fabric, frequent sales and coupons that will come to you by both e-mail and snail mail if you sign up. The people who work at the JoAnn's in my city are unfailingly courteous and helpful, and I have seen them keep their patience with customers that needed a swift kick out the door. froggyintexas
Old 06-07-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Baloonatic
Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i agree with the majority - its not worth a long drive.

its good for 50% coupons on bolts of batting
I recently got a Joann's 30 miles from me. I checked out their batting prices online, and it is more expensive than I pay ordering directly from the Warm company, even with a coupon! I guess I'll take a look in the store next week, but I'm prepared to be not impressed :|
Then you probably won't be. froggyintexas
Old 06-07-2011, 05:21 AM

Joann's has fabric. You have to watch it as some is not good quality. They are getting better but ours here does not have the selection of quality fabric that an LQS has. The prices of the good fabric are now higher than LQS. I like blender fabrics and they do not have a good selection of those.

I get most all of my notions there as I get a lot of coupons- online, mailer, newspaper, and in store. They also have good sales on notions, a lot of times 50% off.

The selections might be better if you live near one of the newer Joann's that are much larger than ours here. I have not been to one of those in a long time, so I do not know.