Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A new Brother pq1500s or used pfaff grand quilter 1200?

A new Brother pq1500s or used pfaff grand quilter 1200?

I was looking for a machine with a large Throat as my elna quilters dream is so hard to do machine quilting on...

A couple weeks ago I bought the brother pq1500s but was about ready to return it to amazon this past week. I still Couldn't figure out the needle threader to save my life and had a hard time with the walking foot. I got my tension issues figured out (mine and the machines. It was a threading problem mostly) and i do love the stitch on this machine. After I took to a local shop for help with the threader I got that figured out but it's still a challenge but doable. The walking foot does NOT have a guide bar attachment and as far as the shop owner could tell there isn't one with a guide bar. Not sure if that's a deal breaker but it sure would be nice not to have to mark my lines.

When I was there the owner was telling me about a local woman trying to sell a 2007 pfaff grand quilter 1200. It's listed $800 obo. It was maintained at the shop and only used for fmq. The seller teaches classes at the lqs next to the sewing machine shop. I paid $655 for the brother so she suggested I ask $580...

What do the experts think? Is that a better machine? Equal? And how bout the walking foot?

thanks so much for your help!!

Try out the used Pfaff and see how you like it. I have the Brother 1500 and love, love, love it for piecing. Mostly because of the pin feed, eliminating the need for a walking foot FOR PIEICNG. There are good deals with used machines. Try out the Pfaff and see how you like it, since you are not smitten with the Brother. Plus the Pfaff most likely has lots of decorative stitches.
    Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by SmickChick; 07-09-2013 at 04:55 AM. Reason: typo

I'd go try one out, but I think they are very similar. There might be a few different features and maybe you like one better
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Ditto what SmickChick said.

I have this Brothers machine and love it. I do not use the threader since it seems easier to thread the needle by hand. Also I more often then not do not use the walking foot since I can raise the presser foot on this machine so fabric feeds evenly. Check this board for other great remarks about this machine. Also Test drive the other machine to see which you like best.
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

My Daughter has the same Brother and she loves it. One of my machines has the threader, I don't use it. Daughter quilts on her Brother and loves it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I have an Elna Excellence 740 throat 11" works fine for me. Don't know how wide you need the throat. Good luck Noella.

What problems are you having with your Elna? Both of those models you listed have about the same throat size as the Elna Quilter's Dream, so, I guess my question is, if all three models have close to the same throat space, and you already have one of the models, why buy another one? I love my Elna Quilter's Dream.

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
    What problems are you having with your Elna? Both of those models you listed have about the same throat size as the Elna Quilter's Dream, so, I guess my question is, if all three models have close to the same throat space, and you already have one of the models, why buy another one? I love my Elna Quilter's Dream.
    We must have a different quilters dream. Mine is from 1998 (I'm guessing) and is the 6003 model... Small throat, but a very nice machine with lots of fancy stiches...

Thanks for all the tips, ladies. I called the woman with the used Pfaff and I'm going to give it a test drive. It's a straight stich only machine. I'm not looking for a fancy machine, just something I can FMQ and fit a larger quilt through much easier... I can't see paying a Long arm quilter though I would love to if I could...
    Last edited by SusanSusan33; 07-09-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Here is what my quilters dream looks like. I'm not trying to replace it, just supplement it. Though in all honesty I will likely piece and quilt on the new brother/ pfaff (?) and just use the Elna for decorative stiches. http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingMachine/Review/1/4982

The Pfaff Grandquilter is actually made by Janome ... they made the Viking MegaQuilter, the Pfaff Grand and their Janome 1600. They just put a different style housing on each, but it's the same internal machine. I have the Viking MegaQuilter, I bought mine in 2007 and it has been great for machine quilting and heavy duty sewing.
    These are straight stitch only machines, with speed control and a thread cutter - very much like the Brother 1500. You do need their walking foot (all 3 brands use Janome attachments) but I've used mine 90% for free-motion quilting with very good results. I also have the Janome 6600 which I love, but I've kept the MegaQuilter for fmq and backup.
    Last edited by TexasGurl; 07-09-2013 at 09:19 AM.

I have the same machine and I still rarely use the needle threader when I use it. IT is VERY difficult to do.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I test drove the pfaff yesterday. Would you believe the needle threader gave us a fit. Lol. And the walking foot doesn't have a seam guide bar either. The stitch was fussy to regulate and it seemed pretty noisy compared to the brother. The lady told me that she hasn't used it in a couple months and she said it might just need oil.... I played for about 45 minutes so I think I gave it a fair shake.

The only trade off would have been speed control. I just couldn't see getting a 5/6 year old machine in exchange for the 1500s. I am keeping my brother and played happily with it last night on some practice sandwiches. She's really a great machine. Now i need to figure out a name for her.

thanks for your suggestions and help ladies!!