Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to this, and confused! >

New to this, and confused!

New to this, and confused!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 AM

Maybe that's what works for her, but you need to do what works for you. My favorite quilting machines are a 1907 Singer 27 treadle and a 1951 Singer 15-91. I love them both and they certainly aren't fancy. I have a Janome that does everything but sing and dance. I use it for embroidery-period. Find your own methods and materials. I always prewash because I'm afraid of shrinking or fading. I wouldn't worry about what she say, nor would I go back to one of her classes!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:39 AM

Don't be discouraged by an anal-retentive teacher. With a bit of searching you may find an experienced quilter who could guide you a bit. In fact, a new quilter could be a partner with the two of you sharing as you learn. Too much information, too rigid rules will dampen your enthusiasm.

Pick a very small, simple project to begin on and just enjoy the process.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:34 AM

It sounds to me like she is trying to sell you a new sewing machine, with a nice cabinet. First thing to remember with any instructor, It is just their opinion, and won't be yours, until you try any suggestions, and then form your own opinions. There is nothing wrong with being self taught, I am self taught, and I pick up new things all the time, after I have tested them, then I decide if I want to add it to my opinion list. There are more than one way to get from point A to point B. Experience is your best teacher.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:56 AM

I have a new Janome (base model) that I use for piecing thanks to my wonderful in-laws. But when I free motion quilt I go back to my $79 brother that I have had for years. Take more classes and like anything else in the world use your own good judgment on what you want to retain for future.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:56 AM

When I was finally able to take a beginning quilting class - because I wanted to see some of the techniques in action, I had already developed a comfort level with double folding the fabric (selvage to selvage then selvage to fold) in order to cut - can do that with an 18 inch ruler and not have to move it. The teacher made a comment about my 12 x 18 cutting mat, and when I told her how I prefer, her response was that I wouldn't be able to cut multiple fabrics at once - but she was perfectly fine with me being okay with "that" problem. And she was flexible.

Because I had been working through A Quilter's Academy: Freshman Year by Harriet & Carrie Hargrave, and visiting here, I did have several differing opinions - which I mostly kept to myself - though there were probably one or two items that we discussed the merits of each idea. I worked to not be an obnoxious student.

Cheers, K
Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM

There are as many ways to quilt, as there are people who are making quilts. I prewash dark fabrics for a quilt, if there are darks that I know will bleed. I test by taking a damp, white square of fabric and rub the edge of the dark fabric...if color comes off...I prewash all the fabrics for that project...of course lights & darks are washed seperately.....if nothing rubs off, I don't prewash. It's a matter of preference. Now, I was gifted two peoples stashes of older fabrics...they were dusty & a few had critter marks on them...so those all were prewashed and put into bins. They are not ironed...I'll iron if I use that fabric, not before...life is too short.
Always pull the bobbin thread to the top & hold it until you take a stitch or two...but....if you use a "spider" (piece of folded fabric at the start and stop of a line of stitches for making the top (not quilting it)...then you can eliminate hangning onto the threads. This also keeps the end of the piece(s) from getting caught in the feed dogs....for quilting, always bring up the thread.
Rolling the excess is also a preference...when I quilted on my home machine, I rolled & tossed the excess over my shoulder...worked ok, not great. Try both ways...see what feels better and gives you more control.
I rarely make bias binding (again my preference)...I make bias if the quilt has curved/scalloped edges, otherwise...straight is it. Now, sometimes, if the curves/scallops are gentle, I just cut the strips width of fabric...this provides a small amout of give, and works for those gentle curves. For straight edges, I try to cut along the length of the fabric (as the selvage runs)...this has NO give....and I like that stability.
Basting...I agree if you are doing your quilting on a home machine. If you quilt as you go, or it's a small item...you could get by if doing straight lines...but basting will probably result in neater quilt lines. For pot holders, small items, I don't baste....anything larger than a placemat, I baste...if doing on my home machine...on the longarm, I don't baste.
I started quilting on a Singer 2662 machine I got on the AS IS table at Walmart...still use that machine. You have a good machine...don't have to have an expensive machine...I have a friend with an old Brother machine...feed dogs don't drop...she taped a playing card over them, set the stitch as low as it would go, put on the darning foot saved from a newer machine...Worked great. Setting the stitch to zero...helps keep the feed dogs from moving, the playing card keeps the feed dogs from snagging the backing.
For a table when I was quilting on my home machine...I used the table that was for my mom's treddle...and pushed the kitchen table into a corner, the sewing table to the right of the kitchen table...and that is how I supported the queen size quilts I made my kids. Worked great!

I politely listen and even take notes of suggestions I'm given (take what this person says are rules as suggestions)...and then evaluate later, try a few of them...see if they do/don't work for you, and then toss those that don't work.

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
I'm self taught thanks to books, blogs and anything else quilt related. Just finished a class at a local fabric shop, and came away very confused! According to the teacher: don't pre wash, don't pull bobbin threads up, never roll excess when quilting, (just smooch and scrunch), bias is the only acceptable binding, don't need a walking foot, basting is the only way to go, and my Singer HD110 is barely a beginners machine, not really designed for quilting - and don't use the acrylic table it came with. Needless to say, since I was doing all of the above, with great success, I'm confused. I've had great luck with my machine, and love the table! Any thoughts??
Old 11-07-2012, 10:06 AM

I agree with the erstan947. you do what works for you. store bought binding is not the only way to go. I guess she has never put a quilt in a quilt show. I have and my own binding was fine. you do what you want. when I quilt my own I dont scrunch I roll. I feel when you scrunch you stand to much of a chance in shifting the backing. so as I quilt I roll and put and keep going. good luck to you.

ask any questions at any time. we love to help
Delta
Old 11-07-2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
My thought is to perhaps try another teacher, if you really need to. I am self taught too other than my mother decades ago when I was 11. You will get a whole different set of answers with someone else showing you something, just as you do reading different books and magazines. I have done both pre-wash and no pre-wash and goodness there is a difference. Most fabrics I pre-wash because I sometimes want the receiver to see what the quilt looks like before the first wash and dry; I have pulled bobbin threads up, when it doesn't make a difference in the quality of the quilting I am doing, nor compromise the design of the quilt; I love and prefer bias binding, but have done crossgrain also. Works for wall hangings without a problem, and doll quilts; I prefer a walking foot. Have done it without also. The thicker quilts I use the walking foot because it helps guide the quilt through the machine more evenly with very little effort from me; I have to have the extra flatbed table area for quilting or sewing of any kind-except garment sleeves. What's up with saying don't use it? And there is nothing wrong with your Singer. If it sews, works for you, and does what you need it to, then my
goodness use it and enjoy it. Don't let anyone talk you into spending more money when what you have works just fine. Every quilter is different and you will have your own style. I wouldn't take what another says as law. Make it your own.

100% agree. I would add that over time you will figure out what works best for you. Perhaps take another beginner class from another teacher so that you can benefit from various methodologies. When I decided to learn to quilt, I taught myself through books, but eventually decided to take a class to learn different ways of doing things, and discovered that the other students also had quite a bit to offer in the way of tips and techniques that have worked for them. Also, as you take classes to learn how to make special types of quilts, you will continue to take away a pearl or two that you will add to your knowledge base. Bottom line is to have fun and develop your own preferences for doing things.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:32 AM

It is always good to hear others ways of doing things. You can then try doing it different the next time if you want, and of course, you can then decide if the new way is better or you want to stick with the old way. You will find everyone has their way of doing things, but that doesn't mean it is right or it is the only way. Just do what works best for you and you will be happy with the results and won't have a lot of frustration trying to do it another way.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:57 AM

I'd find a new teacher, she sounds really closed minded. what works for her may not work for everyone. I am self taught too, i just did it when I first started and never even gave a thought that there were rules. now I go with rules are made to be broken. I read tips and how tos but go with what work for me.

also the best teachers to learn from are right here on the QB. The people here are great and I have gotten more out of reading this site than any class. also the internet has wonderful videos on everything. I like watching those and you can watch them at your own convinious and over and over if you need to see it done.

I don't understand why the teacher was telling you not to do so many things that others do. like what is wrong with using the acrylic table, it gives you a bigger work space ? also I wash my material first and starch it, that way the material is shrunk and won't bleed all over everything. that way the person getting it has no problems with it. Also it washes the chemicals out that is on the fabric so no need to worry about allergies so many people seem to have. Even buying new clothes I have to wash before wearing or I break out in rashes. Good luck in you new adventures in quilting. Just injoy yourself and do what works for you.