Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to this, and confused! >

New to this, and confused!

New to this, and confused!

Old 11-07-2012, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa View Post
I can not beleive what this teacher was saying to you. There are soooooo many ways to sew-quilt and sew many machines that work wonderful.
Do what works for you and get find another teacher.
I agree....Listen, learn and adapt to suit yourself. I'm self taught too and the best thing I ever did was joined a quilt guild. Now I'm with like minded folks who coach me and love me along in my quilting journey.
By the way, I just quilted a full size quilt on my 1949 Featherweight.....Have fun and best wishes to you
Old 11-07-2012, 05:13 AM

So, you actually met the quilt police!! Wow, what a wonderful thing! Now decide for yourself what you want to do and how you want to do it. What works for you might not work for anyone else, but that's okay. Just do it! Enjoy the freedom to work in your own way to produce beautiful quilts and don't spend time worrying about what is "right" according to someone else. Bottom line....there are NO RULES! Quilt on!
Old 11-07-2012, 05:15 AM

I have a friends who doesn't cook. But she tries to throw things together and wonders why they don't taste right. I've told her to use a recipe first and THEN decide what she wants to change. At least she will see ONE correct way of doing it before she decides to ad lib. Same thing with quilting. When you were starting,you had to learn from at least the book. If a beginner was taking from this teacher, they would have to learn to do something correctly at least once,before they start to wing it. You did your experimenting before you got to the class. Ignore what you don't want, try some new things, and keep going.... I think she would be a worse teacher to say " Yeah, whatever- you all figure out how to quilt without my guidance because someone might be offended if I teach you things that might help you".
Old 11-07-2012, 05:50 AM

That was a teacher?!!!! Please register your displeasure and disappointment with the person who hired her! She sounds like a real downer. A good teacher will show more than one way of doing things and leave it up to you to decide what works for you. Find another teacher, one with experience, and an an open mind. Have fun and don't let her rain on your parade. Keep quilting!
Old 11-07-2012, 05:57 AM

Do what works for you. Everyone has a different "right way".
Old 11-07-2012, 06:09 AM

I am self taught thru books as well. I do not plan on taking a class. I have all the info I need right here on these boards. While not all of us will agree with one method, you at least get difference perspectives and then you decide which works for you. I can save that money I would have spent on a class, and buy more fabric!!! and still be just as knowledgeable as the teachers teaching. Because I have everyone here and what more could you ask for than all these teachers ??
Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 AM

In quilting, there are many (legal) ways to get the job done. I do what works for me. Please do not let one person spoil your fun and put you off quilting. Do what you are comfortable doing. This Board has taught me many things I never knew and I have loads of respect for different approaches to the same issue. Many of the things you mention, have been debated here at great length,but the final decision is what works best for YOU! Now you know which teacher to avoid in future. Hang in there and get those creative ideas flowing again.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:32 AM

You what works for you. Who is to tells us we are not doing it right!!! I am sure that as long as you are happy with the results you get go for it. Happy quillting.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 AM

Welcome from southern Mn. I agree with the others and their suggestions. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:04 AM

I would look for a new teacher!! None of that stuff is written in stone.