Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to this, and confused! >

New to this, and confused!

New to this, and confused!

Old 11-06-2012, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
I remember many years ago (like, 20 maybe) I took a serger class with a very famous teacher from a very famous company that published lots of books and patterns. I had (and still have, although a different brand) a low-end serger. She proceeded to make several disparaging remarks about my brand of serger, saying that it wouldn't be able to handle any of her fancy techniques and that it was a department store brand, blah blah, you get the picture. I was totally discouraged, but lo and behold, because I knew my OWN machine, I was able to make it do all of the things she said it wouldn't do. Even so, she pretty much ignored me the rest of the class, focusing on the people with the high-end fancy-dancy machines. When she did comment, it was to tell me that I must have gotten the ONLY serger of XYZ brand that was decent. Unbelievable! Totally turned me off her, and the entire company that she represented. I still think twice about buying anything they are sellling.
Awful! I get snotty looks and comments from salesfolks pretty much every time I mention I'm quilting on a 1990s Singer. It really turns me off, so much so that I'm still quilting on that old thing! We can only hope bad teachers don't turn people off of quilting altogether.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:29 PM

I was at a demonstration where the instructor told the observers how she didn't like varigated thread to free motion quilt...too bad, I love it...it hasn't stopped me from using it. Many times on this board quilters have different opinions on threads, notions, and methods........everyone agrees to disagree. Love all the members for doing so.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:20 PM

To each his/her own. Different things work for different people due to a lot of variables. Keep an open mind in considering new/different methods; but do what works best for YOU. Quilting should be a pleasure. We should enjoy the process. If a method makes it easier and therefore more enjoyable for you then go with that.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:35 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

OMG!!! She's just one person with her own opinions. I have never used bias binding before. I have dual feed, which is a built in walking foot, that I use all the time. She's not very smart to say her opinions are how things are suppose to be. She sounds like someone I would never want to take a class from or someone I would argue with if I took a class from her. Ignore everything she said that you don't agree with. Do it the way you want to do it. Your machine is fine. She's the one with a problem, not you.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:39 PM

I can't believe all of this she told you. Not so!!!! go ahead and do what you have been doing.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC View Post
Ditto! She sounds more like the Quilt Police than a teacher. I'm also self/book taught. Do what YOU want when it comes to any part of quilting. I prewash everything. I use different types of fabric in a quilt. I fold over my backing to use as a binding. I use Elmers School Glue to baste my quilt. I do whatever the heck I want!! If it doesn't come out the way I like it, I've got a seam ripper and a washing machine.

Just tell her to Kiss your beginner basic machine!!! (mine is made by Brother, lol)
DITTO, if doing what you where doing was working for you then don't be confused by someone who thinks different. Do your own thing and keep it fun.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:07 PM

The first class that I took was with a lovely lady that told me, "You can't make a mistake; it's YOUR quilt." SO, do what works best for YOU!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC View Post
Ditto! She sounds more like the Quilt Police than a teacher. I'm also self/book taught. Do what YOU want when it comes to any part of quilting. I prewash everything. I use different types of fabric in a quilt. I fold over my backing to use as a binding. I use Elmers School Glue to baste my quilt. I do whatever the heck I want!! If it doesn't come out the way I like it, I've got a seam ripper and a washing machine.

Just tell her to Kiss your beginner basic machine!!! (mine is made by Brother, lol)
You took the words right out of my mouth!
Old 11-06-2012, 05:22 PM

I was thinking of taking a class for I am new to quilting Annie. I have learned so much on the net , in books, videos and know I can learn a lot here. The advice is right on and you sound like you do know more that the teacher. It's a joy to read and learn from all the posts on the Quilting Board!
Old 11-06-2012, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
PS - Class instructors are not the be-all and end-all for knowledge.
I agree completely!