Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to this, and confused! >

New to this, and confused!

New to this, and confused!

Old 11-06-2012, 07:24 AM

Run, don't walk to the nearest exit!! Sounds like you have done a good job of teaching yourself. Don't let a negative (IMHO) person make you start doubting yourself and your abilities
Old 11-06-2012, 07:30 AM

I agree with everyone, do what works for you. You will make mistakes but that is how you will learn the most. There are great videos, blogs, websites and books for everything. I am making my first QAYG so I looked at everything I could find then took it all and made up a method that I liked best. I love Nancy Zieman, learned more about sewing from her years ago and still watch her because she is clear and shows shortcuts that work. Everyone is different and there is no one right way or one right machine for everybody. Some people don't understand that you buy what you can afford, you can always upgrade when you're ready. The most important thing you learned from this teacher is not everyone is cut out to be a teacher.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:46 AM

I, too, am self taught. But sometimes reading a book doesn't always give you the info you need. Nor will a teacher who has a very closed mind. You will get the best info experience can provide right here on the Quilting Board. Everyone here is very helpful and will give you their opinion on anything from prewashing (I always do - never have to worry about bleeding or shrinking fabric), the best thread (I use thread from Connecting Threads), how to do your bindings (I glue down with a glue stick, then machine stitch), etc., etc., etc. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you may have. The search tool will also allow you to look for past questions of the same type. Quilting can be described as a hobby, addiction, passion and many other very descriptive words, but please remember....it should be fun!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:30 AM

I'd say whatever works for you is ok!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:36 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by Michelekolt View Post
I always say take what you need and leave the rest there.
Thats my thinking...I say learn the basics and then do what works for you.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:34 AM

I have been quilting for 15+ years, all self taught or watching Alex Anderson and Eleanor Burns on the telly. I am not a ripper, i just sew on! Don't want to take a quilting class as they might tell me I have been doing it wrong for years, so i have never had a class! i buy books and mags and do it my way, not right or wrong just my way. SO DO IT ANY WAY YOU WANT!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 AM

I remember many years ago (like, 20 maybe) I took a serger class with a very famous teacher from a very famous company that published lots of books and patterns. I had (and still have, although a different brand) a low-end serger. She proceeded to make several disparaging remarks about my brand of serger, saying that it wouldn't be able to handle any of her fancy techniques and that it was a department store brand, blah blah, you get the picture. I was totally discouraged, but lo and behold, because I knew my OWN machine, I was able to make it do all of the things she said it wouldn't do. Even so, she pretty much ignored me the rest of the class, focusing on the people with the high-end fancy-dancy machines. When she did comment, it was to tell me that I must have gotten the ONLY serger of XYZ brand that was decent. Unbelievable! Totally turned me off her, and the entire company that she represented. I still think twice about buying anything they are sellling.

I guess the point is, as others have said, focus on your own machine, your own techniques, and don't let a teacher like that get you discouraged.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:40 AM

Just relax and enjoy your quilting..some people are snobs about quilting..do what works for you and experiment....we all have our own way!! Don't be discouraged!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

Well there is nothing left to say that hasn't been said. Just do what you have been doing and ENJOY THE PROCESS. This remembered me of when I was younger and was cleaning the sink. My Mom was visiting and she told me I was doing it wrong. I said it gets the job done. The sink was clean the way I did it and that was the objective. One of the many things I learned from my Mom was that we each have out own way of doing things. If you are ok with what you are doing then continue to do it. The people on this board are great and you can't go wrong learning from them, and there is no cost envolved. BrendaK
Old 11-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

That teacher sure is full of herself. I hope you learned something else in that class because the lessons you posted were bogus. I sometimes wash and sometimes don't. I sometimes pull my thread up and sometimes don't. I only use bias binding when working on curved piecing. Other straight pieces get binding cut length of fabric if at all possible. And if your machine works for you, consider yourself lucky and sew to your heart's content. Just enjoy the process and find out what works for you.