Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to this, and confused! >

New to this, and confused!

New to this, and confused!

Old 11-06-2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
My first thoughts were not particular printable!

Her method(s) are one way of doing things - many of them NOT my preferred method!

I think YOU are way more advanced than your teacher - you just said your methods worked well for you - success is the proof that they are working!

Just continue to read this board - there are many many areas where even the experienced quilters have their DIFFERING preferred methods - and some of them are award winners!

LOL, I had to do a mental edit before replying, too.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by rush88888 View Post
since you are fairly new to "organized" quilting, i would do what the teacher tells you to do. after you learn the rules, you can break them! happy quilting!
The way I read this post, this gal already KNOWS how to quilt and has already chosen the methods best for her. Why do polar opposites because someone claiming to be a teacher said so.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

The instructor is foolish. Don't fret over what she said. Once you get experience in making a few quilts, you can take all advice with a grain of salt.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:51 AM

I agree... find a new teacher. She is full of balogna. Everything she told youis HER preference. Don't pull your bobbin thread up? How many quilts has she actually quilted?LOL

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
I'm self taught thanks to books, blogs and anything else quilt related. Just finished a class at a local fabric shop, and came away very confused! According to the teacher: don't pre wash, don't pull bobbin threads up, never roll excess when quilting, (just smooch and scrunch), bias is the only acceptable binding, don't need a walking foot, basting is the only way to go, and my Singer HD110 is barely a beginners machine, not really designed for quilting - and don't use the acrylic table it came with. Needless to say, since I was doing all of the above, with great success, I'm confused. I've had great luck with my machine, and love the table! Any thoughts??
Old 11-06-2012, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I think I'd find a new teacher.
Agreed! Maybe she told you and others all that so that her work would look the best? Compared to others, anyway, who were following her ?advice?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:57 AM

Remember that there are no " quilt police." Take classes to learn the basic techniques, get ideas and try the teacher's way and if you do not like her methods that do it another way.. IMHO it is the end result of how your quilt looks not the method of how it was made. No one looks inside a finished quit. You will find after time that there are many ways that work for you and you may even discover new methods. keep checking this board and ask questions when needed.As far as machine goes she is probably selling different brands in the shop!!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

The part that would have particularly scrunched my grundies was the the comment about the sewing machine. That seemed totally uncalled for.

If the stitching is decent, what more can one ask of ANY machine?
Old 11-06-2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I think I'd find a new teacher.
I agree.I never use bias binding on a quilt,I love my walking foot.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I've taken classes from several national quilters. Some pre wash some don't.

Why would you not pull the bobbin thread up???? If you pull it up you don't get thread snot. Roll or scrunch, whatever works. I've never done bias binding. It's really only necessary for curves. No matter how well basted something is if you're doing straight line quilting you need a walking foot.

A sewing machine is a sewing machine. It actually can't tell what you're doing. If the machine will do what you want it to then it's fine. Extension tables are really helpful for lots of things.

The best thing to do with people like that is smile and agree and then go on and do what you want. There really and truly isn't just one way or one right way to do anything in quilting.

Basically "nod and wave boys, nod and wave." Extra points if you know what movie that comes from!
Madagascar?
Old 11-06-2012, 07:23 AM

Wow, I agree with pretty much everyone else -- pshaw! Taking a class is about trying new things. So you tried her way; take what works for you and leave the rest. Including her "quilt police" attitude -- far behind.

Welcome to quilting!