Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New craft room >

New craft room

New craft room

Old 01-23-2011, 08:29 AM

Consider a skylight for natural light from above during the day.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:34 AM

Think about where you are going to work in relation to where you put lights. I have to work with what I already have, but if I could design my own room, I'd put can or track lights around the whole perimeter of the room so I wouldn't have to deal with the shadows from the overhead, center of the room light that I have now.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Lighting, outlets, table/counter space, a cutting table that you can walk around at least 3 sides :D:D:D
Old 01-23-2011, 08:47 AM

I turned my dining room into a temporary sewing room while my dh is deployed. I didn't realize, after years of using a low countertop in my laundryroom, how nice it is to have my cutting mat raised up to accomodate being tall. I am 5'10" and my back would get so tired from leaning over and cutting. I won't ever go back to cutting on a low table again. (I use a folding table on top of large cans... will switch over to bed risers when I need to use the food in the cans... :P ) So, my recommendation is to get a cutting table that fits you so that cutting is not backbreaking work.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 AM

I know most people don't like carpet in their sewing rooms but I love mine. I would never go without carpet in mine. Just my preference.
Judy
Old 01-23-2011, 09:00 AM

I notice that you live in Texas and guess that you will have the same summer problems that I have in Florida - it gets HOT! While my window views are lovely I had to get insulated black-out shades for my windows and an air conditioner in order to be able to work out there. Plenty of insulation in the walls and maybe a couple of solar tubes. I put in fluorescent ceiling lights and got natural sunlight tubes. Don't forget space for a design wall - I did!! Best wishes
Old 01-23-2011, 09:19 AM

Your hubby is a peach! I agree with a lot of suggestions already made, but would add that a really comfortable, ergonomic chair, on wheels, so you can roll it from one task to another is a good investment. Also, it would be handy to have an ironing surface near the sewing machine, and at a level that you can comfortably use from the same chair. On the other hand, I've put mine in the next room so I have to get up and move around a lot. (Need exercise!) I have my computer in my sewing room, and do NOT recommend that. Sewing makes lots of dust, which is murder for computers.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:20 AM

WOW, Nancy...what a fantastic layout! It is much like I have dreamed about mine being. Will definitely be re-visiting your room while my progresses!
Originally Posted by sewwhat85
i would say flooring is very important (no carpet) then lighting lighting lighing.here is pics of mine http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-87898-1.htm
Old 01-23-2011, 11:25 AM

You gals & guy are super-dooper quilter buddies! Great ideas. I definitely know that I do not want carpeting. I had not thought about elect. outlets above the counter, nor had I given much thought about ironing (my least favorite part of quilting). Also, now I know that I want a board to pin up ideas, etc on. Keep those beautiful ideas coming....looooove it!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:37 AM

Lots of shelves, lights and drawers.